View Full Version : Anyone who does better on instant ritalin than on ritalin LA?

noradd
08-20-14, 09:45 AM
I don't know why it is but when I take let's say 30mg ritalin LA which releases 50% after 30 minutes and the rest later which equals 15mg instant ritalin I don't feel anything.

But recently I had a chance to try 10mg instant ritalin and I had the impression that I felt an almost immediate effect.

How is this possible? I am now wondering what if the time-released mechanism of ritalin LA with the little encoated beads doesn't work for me for some reason? Maybe because of stomach acid or some other stomach issue?
How likely is this?

What sucks though is that I cannot get instant ritalin! For adults only Ritalin LA is allowed where I live. :(

dag nab it
08-22-14, 06:06 PM
Per my experience, immediate release ritalin, depending on brand, might last only 2-1/2 hours and then the sinking effect starts - especially in the afternoons. That made it difficult to use. The first brand of immediate release I tried lasted almost 4 hours but I could not find it later because of a medication shortage.

Immediate release tablets are OK as a supplement to a longer acting formula (when you have to work late, have to drive at night, etc.). However, since the duration of action on IR can be so short, they generally don't fit most people's needs.

noradd
09-04-14, 06:03 PM
Hello, does ritalin really make you more awake since you said you can take instant ritalin when you have to drive home late. I'm not sure if I'm normal cause when I take 10mg instant ritalin I cannot say that I feel more awake or less tired. Should it make you more awake?

ritaman
09-17-14, 03:36 PM
I have a similar problem.
I take Ritalin LA for almost a year. From 30mg, to 60mg and now 40mg of the LA version.

30 minutes after taking it, I feel like I can do anything and I really do work and study much better.

But, when the second release strikes, which happens 5-6 hours later, I feel nothing but ONLY side effects: high heart rate, high BP and headache. It seems like I drank 10 gallons of coffee and got all those bad sensations but NONE of the benefits of the medication, and I've tried many dosages.
WHY!? Just WHY?!

Is the second release of Ritalin LA a 'let-me-show-you-only-the-side-effects-now" ??

PS: my doc wont prescribe me IR version of Ritalin.

Is this normal?! Does anyone else feel the same?!

LotsOfAttention
09-21-14, 11:18 AM
I think I might be in a similar situation. It seems like my body really sucks at dealing with extended release meds. I have Ritalin 10mg instant release as a booster for the morning and later in the day, and I feel like these are much more effective for me than the longer acting formulations. I think that maybe some bodies do not do well with breaking down the extended release mechanisms. I may ask my psych about trying a 3 times a day regimen of IR Ritalin.