View Full Version : Tutor Advice

BlikeH20
08-20-14, 06:49 PM
This might be a weird question, but I figured that I would ask anyway.

My son has been attending Mathnasium for math tutoring with limited success mostly due to only recently being diagnosed and still working out kinks with medicine. He's been going for a year and a half and has started to really stall with getting his work done. Their philosophy is based on a reward system much like those typically recommended for our kiddos. Anyway it was working for him but now he's getting less work done and relying heavily on the tutor (much as he does at school). Tonight he's almost on the verge of tears, staring at his paper in angst.

It's so heartbreaking to watch him struggle.

Does anyone have a recommendation for tutoring programs that work well for Adhd children?

Ms. Mango
08-20-14, 09:22 PM
What time is his math class? My DS really struggles with getting any kind of novel or difficult work in the evenings.

zette93
08-20-14, 09:25 PM
Would it be possible for you to sit in on a tutoring session to try and figure out where things are breaking down for him? Maybe he needs a mini trampoline break at some point, or for the lesson to be made more interesting or interactive? Or needs more manipulatives like cubes? Or more options for movement like a wiggle cushion, ball, or theraband, or fidget toys?

BlikeH20
08-21-14, 05:07 AM
Ms. Mango: Usually the sessions are twice a week for an hour in the evenings (during the school year they are about 45 minutes after school.

Zette93: I can't do during the school year because I'll still be at work.

Thanks for your responses! I'm thinking about getting him a more one on one style of tutor who could implement some of your ideas Zette. My mom added that he might need a break from tutoring for a week or so,since he's basically been going non stop for over a year.