View Full Version : World affairs having immense personal impact

It'sPeter
08-21-14, 06:11 AM
Hey all,

I'm currently going through an episode of depression. Though the years I've become pretty experienced in that and I know what's about to happen when I feel it creeping up on me and what my limits are when I'm in the middle of it.
To me it's basically a matter of sitting it out.

This time it's a bit different. I feel much more vulnerable. I get nauseated by news reports and just want to shut it all out. I want to do innocent and happy things.

Normally I'm a pretty critical and objective person that's on top of world affairs, and I now feel so ignorant to pretend the daily horrors simply aren't there. The plane that was shot down in the Ukrain, the rising tensions between Russia and the west, Robin Williams' death, the horrendous video of the American journalist that was murdered (which I didn't watch), the Israel and Palestine conflict...

There IS a lot happening in the world at this moment, but I somehow don't have the fortitude or resiliance to take it all in, and that's so not me. It's logical to be shocked by these things, but it makes me feel hopeless. Everything I think about these days seems so puny in comparison to what others in the world are going through.

I know my resilience will return when the depression retreats, but I was wondering if anyone recognizes this. And how do you cope?

Corina86
08-21-14, 10:01 AM
I don't. And I'm not even depressive, but the news make me angry and frustrated. If you don't feel ready to take it in, than just don't. It's ok to give yourself a break, the world doesn't rest on your shoulders. Try to focus on helping yourself first and then worry about the rest.

Little Missy
08-21-14, 11:24 AM
The world affairs have really begun to take a toll on me also. Very, very hard. I do not seem to be able to escape it all even if I ignore it.

bobabuoy
08-21-14, 01:50 PM
I know it may be making me ignorant, but I try to ignore a lot of this. I am in the same boat and it can really start to compound my depression.

The reality is, you can look back over time and there has always been negativity in the news. They rarely put out anything positive.

LordranBound
11-07-14, 09:02 AM
Don't guilt yourself. the news has a negative spin by it's nature so it's not even a good representation of reality. of the terrible things that are happening you have no control. Many, I would even argue, humans don't even have any control over. Don't feel guilty about being ignorant. When you do, just remind yourself that there are even more positive things in the world that you're ignorant of.

sarek
11-08-14, 06:31 AM
World affairs as they are presented by the media are only the tip of the iceberg. Journalism thrives on feeding a person's pain body. To subject oneself to this daily deluge of heavily biased news is a quick way to poison the mind.

There are only two ways to mitigate this harmless influence. The first one is to engage in deep and thorough self awareness. By doing so we can start to track why outside influences have this effect on us and by understanding we can defuse them. To begin doing this I would recommend beginning meditation and looking into people like Eckhart Tolle. He especially has a lot to say about how the mechanism of the pain body works.

The other option is to isolate oneself from the dangerous influences. News for those who are susceptible to it, functions very much like a kind of ebola for the soul. It is toxic and it is contagious because you can easily pass it on to the next person. In order to get away from that it is a good idea to isolate yourself from toxic information sources such as:

- news
- crime and violent movies
- modern games with violence in them

All these are toxic influences and they have a bad effect on everyone who is not completely inoculated against them.

stef
11-08-14, 08:34 AM
It especially seems that news these days is oversimplified and pure sensationism ( is that even a word...?)

and then it's just so available now in real time, with all of the news websites!

Laserbeak
11-08-14, 08:50 AM
Even though I didn't know anyone who died on 9/11, it really had a big impact on me living in New York and going to the WTC maybe once every month or two for some reason, business or pleasure (they had a really cool bar/club and restaurant at the top of tower 2). I still don't feel the same. It like sucked all the energy out of me, so I definitely know how you feel.

InvitroCanibal
11-11-14, 02:11 AM
Hey all,

I'm currently going through an episode of depression. Though the years I've become pretty experienced in that and I know what's about to happen when I feel it creeping up on me and what my limits are when I'm in the middle of it.
To me it's basically a matter of sitting it out.

This time it's a bit different. I feel much more vulnerable. I get nauseated by news reports and just want to shut it all out. I want to do innocent and happy things.

Normally I'm a pretty critical and objective person that's on top of world affairs, and I now feel so ignorant to pretend the daily horrors simply aren't there. The plane that was shot down in the Ukrain, the rising tensions between Russia and the west, Robin Williams' death, the horrendous video of the American journalist that was murdered (which I didn't watch), the Israel and Palestine conflict...

There IS a lot happening in the world at this moment, but I somehow don't have the fortitude or resiliance to take it all in, and that's so not me. It's logical to be shocked by these things, but it makes me feel hopeless. Everything I think about these days seems so puny in comparison to what others in the world are going through.

I know my resilience will return when the depression retreats, but I was wondering if anyone recognizes this. And how do you cope?

I think it's the very definition of happiness that has made so many of us depressed or lethargic.

I know what you mean though. The news gets to me too. It didn't used to but as i've gotten older, it has really started to impact me a lot. I get survivors guilt in a way. I ask myself, what does it matter if I'm happy when so many others are miserable. What gives me that right to happiness, food and health? But, then I realized that it's this western idea of happiness, that "I got mine" attitude that is destroying us as people. That isn't happiness that's selfishness.

When I realized that, I realized the entire American dream was based on selfishness. I then realized that happiness could only exist if it was shared. Kind of similar to the philosophical concept of a light on a hill, you live your life to share happiness with others, not to conceal it away for yourself. It wasn't until I realized that I had the power to help others as a nobody, that I started to feel a little better about my life.

Happiness is also about who you hang around. I don't think that will take away the pain though, of seeing the world fall apart while you try to build it, but good people help you realize the world isn't falling apart. The news shows us only the worst of humanity, but I find the more I try to steer my life towards helping people, the more I find myself surrounded by good people. Which in turn, inspires me.

I've met people who have lost everything, former meth addicts, people who had everything and then suffered severe brain trauma, people who were abused their entire life so much that they couldnt speak until recently. All these people who have a valid reason to hate the world that no one could fault them for, they now spend their life helping others, which inspires me. You don't hear about people like that on the news, who have lost everything but still try to help others.

I guess all i'm saying is it just needs to be put in perspective, if death, disease, and crime were as bad as the news made it seem, than that wouldn't be news.

I'll be afraid when human decency and kindness becomes news worthy.

LordranBound
11-14-14, 01:57 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said, InvitroCanibal, but I don't think Western ideas are the problem. It seems en vogue to blame the west or have Western guilt. Buddhism developed because there was so much suffering in the east. Currently it's not that much different. Do you think that folks in China have it so great? How about Thailand/Indonesia? Japan? They have and always have had the highest suicide rate. Where is the utopia now or ever in the East? And please don't tell me that it's all the West's fault that there are issues in the East because I'll go Ghengis Khan (Mongolia) all over you :)

I've studied a great deal of eastern philosophy both in and out of school. There are some great ideas there. But there are also a ton of great Western ideas. The Renaissance was the greatest humanist event in the history of the world. There were/are even some very good points about the American Dream - wanting your children to have a better life than you did, people having the opportunity to accomplish whatever they put their mind to, etc. If selfishness is The American Dream, than it's a *******ized version.

OhLookABunny
12-02-14, 02:57 PM
It's helpful to me to read this thread. I've felt this way most of 2014. World events and friends/family going through major stuff. It fills up my mind till I feel weighted down. This will no doubt sound cliche'd, but I think our ADD makes us more sensitive. (Other conditions can also do that to people - PTSD, autism, physical illness, the list goes on.)

Anyway, sometimes there are others who seem to float through life. Whether it's blissful ignorance or something else, you can't mention to them that you feel this way or they'll think you're nuts or scold you or whatever. So I'm glad you guys are here. :grouphug:
I do turn to my faith and pray; I know that's not what everyone does, so not trying to step on any toes by mentioning it, but it helps me feel I'm doing something when I can't do something to affect the physical world and its events. Also sometimes it helps me to "vent" to God and cry a bit and get it out of my system. I feel more hopeful after doing so.