View Full Version : Need Suggestions - Coping Strategies for Standing in Line

kcaveney
08-22-14, 02:06 PM
Hi all, I have a wonderful 6 year old son with ADD + Anxiety and am hoping you can help me out. He is now on his 5th day of 1st grade and he is struggling with coming in from lunch recess. He hates standing in line for any length of time and unlike in Kindergarten where the teachers would round the kids up and be right next to them, he is expected to get in line by himself no matter what he was doing when the bell rang. My son is very independent but has problems with transitions and impulse control so he is generally either the last one there or waits to see how long he can get away with not going at all. Yesterday he did not want to wait in line so he just walked right in the building and hid (cause he knew he would get in trouble for it). This caused a panic because no one knew where he was. Being a safety concern I am working with the teacher to find out some way that will prevent incidents like this in the future (he will be getting in trouble if it happens again but I would prefer for it not to happen at all) but am struggling on what would work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping kids stand in line and wait to cut out the boredom that may have worked for your child?

Thanks
Kim

ccom5100
08-22-14, 07:34 PM
Maybe the teacher can give him some kind of job, like line monitor, or door holder, or something that will occupy him during that period. Or maybe give him something to manipulate while he's in line (check office playground, they have great manipulative handheld toys). They should be able to come up with something to accommodate him.

zette93
08-23-14, 10:46 PM
Try asking him why it's hard to stand in line, and really listen to all the reasons. Then ask if he has any ideas that would make it better for him.

apoeticdevice
08-24-14, 01:18 AM
I don't have kids but what if you try to come up with some sort of game like see who can get to the line first, or stay still the longest. Or any sort of incentive. I take portraits of kids and they love playing games so I try to make every pose a game somehow. Like the first one to come this X spot wins ice cream after the shoot or so on. I hope this helps a little.

meesie
08-28-14, 12:47 PM
Have you ever tried using social stories? There are bunches of them free on the net about standing/waiting in line at school and just about everywhere that can be edited, printed and personalized for kids this age.

I have been doing this for years for my kiddos.

meesie
08-28-14, 12:53 PM
I don't have kids but what if you try to come up with some sort of game like see who can get to the line first, or stay still the longest. Or any sort of incentive. I take portraits of kids and they love playing games so I try to make every pose a game somehow. Like the first one to come this X spot wins ice cream after the shoot or so on. I hope this helps a little.

This would probably not go over well in a school setting.

I had to use social stories for months for my child who was always trying to be "first" in line as the teaachers dislike the whole "I got here first" attitude.:cool: He was getting on "red" in K for making it a game instead of just getting in line and being quiet.

For OP.. does his teacher have a whole class behavior incentive, a chart or anything that rewards the kids for lining and waiting their turn? If no they should and if yes..well maybe your child needs something extra for incentive.