View Full Version : Something that happened. vs Something that is going to happen.

mildadhd
08-23-14, 12:42 PM
:)

Hi,

The science of something that happened, verses, the science of something that is going to happen.

Ideas/thoughts?

P

namazu
08-23-14, 01:57 PM
As in, how people perceive past vs. future events?

Or, the fabric of space-time?

mildadhd
08-24-14, 02:26 AM
As in, how people perceive past vs. future events?

Or, the fabric of space-time?

Thanks Namazu

They both seem like they could relate/build upon the general OP discussion topics.

I am wondering about any topics/terminology/etc, involving the science of past experiences, the science of present experiences, and the science of future experiences, existing so far?

P

doiadhd
08-24-14, 02:48 AM
Hmmmm repetition and shift. .

Fraser_0762
08-24-14, 03:11 AM
Well people tend to worry more about future events, while being stuck on past events, while eluding the present.

People who generally succeed have a way of learning from the past and moving on. Staying focused in the present, with the expectatons of an optimistic future.

doiadhd
08-24-14, 05:44 AM
The past present and future are all merged into one-thats why i am laying on my couch,havent slept for two days thinking thoughts of past present and future-justice/vengeance.

SB_UK
08-24-14, 10:40 AM
Evolution's consideration is the future.

Human beings are stuck in the past.

Everything interesting is yet to happen - by definition - with time - evolution generates increasing informational complexity (a more interesting world) - in fits of emergence.

Fuzzy12
08-24-14, 01:27 PM
the future hasn't happened yet and the present is too transient to exist. The past is the only thing that's real, the only thing that we know, though what that is worth I don't know. Not much, i suspect.

SB_UK
08-24-14, 02:52 PM
Imagination shapeth da' future aye-- Ali G. Einstein.

Imagine the future (the realm of super scientists) not poke obtuse precedents (where lascivious lawyers slither).
Make it so.

Unmanagable
08-24-14, 03:19 PM
Based solely on my personal experiences and observations of my 47 years:

It's all an illusion based solely on perceptions. Enjoy the "now" moments with all you've got, if you wish to, and just let the rest go, every chance you get.

I spent much time in the past thinking of how badly I must have screwed things up and attributed my s****y days to the idea that I must somehow deserve all the crap since I felt like I had only contributed crap. I was even deaf to hearing about the good stuff I did from others, because all I felt inside was the agony of internal and ongoing defeat.

When I could manage to stop thinking about that stuff ^^^ for a while, I'd jump to the future and start to create a whirlwind of anxious thoughts by anticipating failure in whatever I thought of maybe trying, because I surely hadn't tasted much success yet, so I doubt if it would get any better since I still suck at life, etc.

I couldn't focus on enjoying anything because those patterns of thinking took so much out of my mental, emotional, and physical being. It's a vicious cycle of thinking that keeps my mind and body in miserable turmoil. I have to work hard as hell at purposely trying to make myself not go there.

I thought I would be viewed as someone who isn't very caring or concerned with others if I spent so much time on just figuring me out, but come to find out, it's one of the main things that has helped me improve my health and overall well-being.

What has happened in the past are simply stepping stones along this path of eternal side shows eventually leading to the big freak show of your choosing. :)

Stevuke79
08-24-14, 11:09 PM

Hi,

The science of something that happened, verses, the science of something that is going to happen.

Ideas/thoughts?

P

As far as science is concerned, when it comes to things that have happened, these are things that we can potentially know with a greater degree of certainty. Because these things have happened there is the possibility of having observed them empirically.

As far as thigs that are going to happen, until they do we can't know them with the same accuracy. However, as far as the science we can learn from them, things that are going to happen are far less limiting. The set of things that will happen is infinite while that which has happened is finite. Even though we can't know what will happen with certainty, we can still deduce far more science from them because we have much fewer limitations as to what these things are.

ruby.149.42
08-25-14, 12:35 AM
Based solely on my personal experiences and observations of my 47 years:

It's all an illusion based solely on perceptions. Enjoy the "now" moments with all you've got, if you wish to, and just let the rest go, every chance you get.

I spent much time in the past thinking of how badly I must have screwed things up and attributed my s****y days to the idea that I must somehow deserve all the crap since I felt like I had only contributed crap. I was even deaf to hearing about the good stuff I did from others, because all I felt inside was the agony of internal and ongoing defeat.

When I could manage to stop thinking about that stuff ^^^ for a while, I'd jump to the future and start to create a whirlwind of anxious thoughts by anticipating failure in whatever I thought of maybe trying, because I surely hadn't tasted much success yet, so I doubt if it would get any better since I still suck at life, etc.

I couldn't focus on enjoying anything because those patterns of thinking took so much out of my mental, emotional, and physical being. It's a vicious cycle of thinking that keeps my mind and body in miserable turmoil. I have to work hard as hell at purposely trying to make myself not go there.

I thought I would be viewed as someone who isn't very caring or concerned with others if I spent so much time on just figuring me out, but come to find out, it's one of the main things that has helped me improve my health and overall well-being.

What has happened in the past are simply stepping stones along this path of eternal side shows eventually leading to the big freak show of your choosing. :)

I love this post. You've almost perfectly described my voyage through life and reflecting back at a similar age. Wow. What I love about it the most is that after being so down on myself for wasting time even thinking abouut my wretched self .. that time ended up being a brilliant investment because now, not only do I get it, I can use it to help others too. That's the best part. As you are by writing this post - thank you.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 06:00 AM
As far as science is concerned, when it comes to things that have happened, these are things that we can potentially know with a greater degree of certainty. Because these things have happened there is the possibility of having observed them empirically.

As far as thigs that are going to happen, until they do we can't know them with the same accuracy. However, as far as the science we can learn from them, things that are going to happen are far less limiting. The set of things that will happen is infinite while that which has happened is finite. Even though we can't know what will happen with certainty, we can still deduce far more science from them because we have much fewer limitations as to what these things are.

Human beings needs a science of how to open doors.

oooo...DOOROLOGY ! (a new fragrant science where shaping a better future and not returning to the past is considered the goal)

The science merely needs to state that there is a door, how to open it and that there will be something unimaginably better behind it.

-*-

Any science which concentrates on what has come and gone is not going to do justice to an evolutionary process which is only concerned with what will be.

The Universe will keep on becoming more complex - that's what it does - increasing informational entropy.

We can either go with it (THE ONLY OPTION) or dream of when life was much more simple 1 Plancktosecond before the Big Bang.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 06:06 AM
And how'd we help it along ?
By being nice y'all.

No - how'd we help it along ?
Streuth cobber sport - by being nice y'all <- that's all there is to it.

Is that really all there is to it ?
Yes.

So why would that make an increasingly informationally entropic Universe smartguy ?
Well first of all duhhh!!!!
If you guys stopped destroying things with bombs and diggers and demolition balls and fires and and and ... ... and made ever more wonderfully collaborative art - more intricate, complex, invigorating - then you'd be increasing Universal informational entropy.

Otherwise we experience the Bieber Boy Band paradox where informational complexity decreases at an astounding rate despite t (on the x axis) increasing.

Since the 1980s we have been trapped in a BBB paradox and it is only through the concerted niceness of people such as ADDerlingoids that we may one day escape the yawning chasm of dullness that is your average rainy day in Englanhaemmorhoid and reach the promised land of unassisted bowel movements.

Is that it ?
Yes.

Wow that's easy ?
Aha.

Be nice and prosper.