View Full Version : ADD mockery by teacher

addthree
08-25-14, 10:40 AM
I have just started an MFA program and the first class which is an art theory class the teacher(professor) sees a butterfly on the window and makes some joke about his ADD tendencies. And then he says that an MFA degree is theoretical. It must be like his sudden ADD impulse, totally phony and worthless.
I am just complaining.

Amtram
08-25-14, 01:02 PM
This is the time to talk to the teacher privately, and in a non-confrontational way, let him know that you struggle with ADHD, that it's very real, and that it makes you uncomfortable when he jokes about it.

apoeticdevice
08-25-14, 04:16 PM
I am currently finishing up my BFA and the Uni lets me take my Art History exams in a proctored less noisy room but I have had a few Prof tell me that I don't need the extra time, that the test is simple. When my issue is concentrating not the effing time. They sometimes say little comments like your example and it is so annoying how they minimalize this disorder that is so much more complicated and so overwhelming for us. I'd like to punch a few ********.

execfunc
08-26-14, 11:00 PM
I don't see the problem with this. Maybe he has ADHD. Most people have at least some minor tendencies similar to those of ADHD. Same with OCD. I joke about my sometimes OCD characteristics. It's just a way of grappling with the complexities of our behavior, or in this case, perhaps, introducing oneself to a new group. It certainly doesn't sound like mockery. Mockery requires malicious intent.

sarahsweets
08-27-14, 03:34 AM
Sometimes you just have to suck it up with people and deal with their ignorance.

Joker_Girl
08-27-14, 09:16 AM
It's possible he actually HAS ADHD, and his joking is an attempt at self-depricating (sp?) humor.

I've been known to joke about such things at home with hubby, or in social situations I'm feeling comfortable in....when I'm having a really spazzy day, expressing it to my husband by saying stuff like "SQUIRREL!" or "OOOH SHINY!" randomly.

However, I would never bare myself out to a group of relative strangers like that. I would be far too uncomfortable.

I would ignore it and let it go, because you don't want to call attention to yourself, particularly if he is an ADHD nazi. Feel the situation out. If he becomes too insufferable, perhaps transfer to another course with a different instructor, due to some sort of scheduling conflict etc.