View Full Version : Have anyone here ever requested for class accommodations before?

TurtleBrain
08-25-14, 02:15 PM
Personally I think I was lucky that most of my classes provide power points and didn't require much reading of the text book. Also, I always make sure to sit close to the board.

I actually decided to request for it this semester just in case classes would be harder, but in a way I sort of wonder if it's even necessary. Well, I guess it can't hurt though :cool:

Little Missy
08-25-14, 04:00 PM
I did and it was the smartest decision I ever made. I had free tutors, took all of my exams alone in a private room with no time restrictions, and I excelled beyond my belief. Go for it!:yes:

apoeticdevice
08-25-14, 04:27 PM
I also requested help and they do offer me double the time on exams in a proctored room. Also, some Professors will extend due dates. Even if you don't use the provided benefits it is better to let the school's Disability Dept and your Professors when the semester starts because you never know when you do a little mistake that ends up making you fail.. which just happened to me this summer and because I did not tell my prof anything i am screwed....

BlackWarrior
08-25-14, 08:32 PM
Personally I think I was lucky that most of my classes provide power points and didn't require much reading of the text book. Also, I always make sure to sit close to the board.

I actually decided to request for it this semester just in case classes would be harder, but in a way I sort of wonder if it's even necessary. Well, I guess it can't hurt though :cool:

Most of my science courses provide power points and stray away from the textbook, just like yours. I personally only request accommodations if I know the class will be tough and I need the extra 1.5x time added to my tests. Or if the classrooms are very compact I choose to take tests in a designated testing room.

On the request form, it should state that you don't HAVE to take the tests in the testing rooms but it would be best to let your professor and the people in the test center know ahead of time. Its a win win situation imo, so you really should request for accommodations. But by no means is the professor supposed to go "easier" on you.

Sickle
09-18-14, 05:46 AM
I had accommodations for extra breaks during classes because I am hyper. I never needed the others though, I was 1st done on exams and tests.

Dysexlia
09-19-14, 03:18 PM
I have requested accommodations and it's wonderful. Extra time and taking exams in a different room by myself with a computer to type essays instead of hand writing them is amazing.

I can't tell you how horrible my in class philosophy exams would go if I had to write them all by hand...

Go for it!

finallyfound10
09-21-14, 05:23 PM
I had accommodations in some of nursing school and it helped a lot!

sarahsweets
09-22-14, 06:07 AM
Never have out of fear of discrimination.

hidden_horror
09-28-14, 09:28 PM
I have and it's great!
2 extra weeks for assignments and extra time for tests and exams.
At my university I just registered with the disability services department and then all my subjects have links so that I can request adjustments or whatever I need for each individual assessment.
My marks have improved a lot!
I can also apply to have my failed subjects changed to Discontinue Not Fails and then hopefully I can get the money back for the subjects!!

Tinatheawesome
01-11-15, 02:41 PM
I can chose to take my test again if I fail the first time. I have triple extra time for test. I can have a note taker because I use my right hand instead of my left and I always get kelosis.

Tinatheawesome
01-11-15, 02:44 PM
Also take test in dsps office room. Use calculator but, I prefer my brain instead.

Tinatheawesome
01-11-15, 02:45 PM
I only get one week extra time

MrsNewton
01-17-15, 01:01 PM
I'm ready to. I'm in my last semester towards my associates and then I'm on to nursing school. I really want to take my tests on paper, I've recently figured out I have a hard time doing them on the computer.

Tinatheawesome
01-17-15, 07:05 PM
I have no test this semester yay

GoalieMel33
01-17-15, 08:07 PM
When I was in college (last year), I had accommodations, they really helped. Thanks to them, even though I only had around 2-3 courses each semester, I was struggling. I would either botch my copy because I couldn't concentrate long enough or take my time then time was up and I couldn't finish. It was frustrating because not matter what I tried, I was still having difficulties.

I could use extra time on exams (1/3) and could take tests in a seperated room if I wanted to. A special ed counsellor was also helping me getting organized and I was seeing her ever week. I also made sure I sit in front of the class and use my laptop (which has a text-to-speech and spelling corrector programs) whenever I could. Most of my teachers were understanding and allowed me to do evaluations in a room nearby without involving the disabilities services.

Now that I'm in adult school back on full time (20 hours a week), evening classes, I don't have accomodations anymore. But I don't mind because it's so different here that I don't think I'd need them. We are a small group (only about 15 students), courses are taught at our own rate, and there are no exams (well except for the forms that we have to complete in teams then the teachers gives us the answers and a few practical exams (CPR and fire extinguisher use). I mean, what else could I ask for.

They really focus on presentce, efforts and partcipation instead of grades, which is an awesome approach. It's really about concrete learning, based on what we experience. Sure we do have books, but we also get to try the situations if real life, which is cool for people who learns best by going though it you know! I'm lucky to have a teacher who is humane, experienced (love hearing his stories) and is good with empowering students.

tinybike
01-17-15, 08:31 PM
No. I can't request general accommodations; I need to submit a specific request, and I don't know what will help me except maybe doing laboratory assignments in my own time, alone (as if I could be trusted to keep my own time!!).

I don't have test anxiety, I don't have any indication to suspect another learning disability, and I am not distracted by the exam room (the white noise is nice).

My laboratory classes are the hardest for me, though. 20-50 students scrambling for attention from the teacher, or worse, talking and goofing around. I can't filter the noise and I find it really distressing to try to keep up. I am usually around for an extra half hour or so during scheduled labs. My petrology assignments are the WORST because the petrology lab (rock microscopes) is small, and my class is large; it's always full, and people are constantly filtering in and out. I had a 2-day one-off extension on a project, just after my DX, and did almost my entire project in about 15 hours. This was after spending ~40 hours trying and crying about it. I got 90% on the project, in the end.

fosterthehuman
03-24-15, 12:12 AM
i'm reading everyone's comments about how class accommodations helped them and i'm starting to think that i should use mine more often. but is it ever too late to bring up your accommodations to a teacher? i'm taking a few courses right now and i'm kind of struggling. but i'm in the middle of the semester. should i let my teachers know or should i just wait and use it for next semester?

TygerSan
03-26-15, 06:34 AM
It couldn't hurt to speak with them but you probably want to be careful in your approach. Choose a time where you can go to office hours and/or really speak one on one with your instructors. Lead with how you know you've been struggling and it's partly your fault for trying to go without the accommodations you are allowed. Clearly, that isn't working out so well lately so you'd like to (fill in the blank - ie try taking your next exam in the disability center).

Some profs will be understanding and some will be hard nosed and impossible to sway. Just don't do what I did and get frustrated after running out of time on an exam and beg for an extension during the exam. Prof wasn't mean about it but was quite right in saying no. In my defense, I'd never come close to needing extra time in that class before.