View Full Version : I think this may be my first mixed state? Feels awful, help pls?

donnac55
08-25-14, 03:30 PM
Hello,

This is so weird, I can't even get my thoughts together. I feel sad amidst a happy time in life and very very agitated. I was diagnosed ADHD last week and all hell broke loose emotionally. I'm on the edge of tears yet can't stay still and the usual 20 radio stations in my brain are all tuned to static.

I remember feeling what I now know as mania as recent as 3 months ago. How does something like this usually pass? I've got a killer headache and bellyache too. There's a lot more but I don't want to go on and on and can't articulate right now anyways.

Sorry so scattered, all thoughts and responses appreciated, thank you!

Little Missy
08-25-14, 03:55 PM
Oh goodness! I certainly know how you feel as I have been that way myself at times. Are you on any new medications that could be exacerbating the problem? Sometimes if you just go straight to the ER they can help get you settled down and feeling better until you can see your GP or your psychiatrist. Don't be afraid to ask for help.:)

donnac55
08-25-14, 04:08 PM
No meds right now. I was given 18mg of methylphenidate for the ADHD last week and it turned me into a zombie. Completely nonfunctional. I'm not comfortable with the first psychiatrist so I'm looking for another one. If this is a bipolar episode which condition do you treat, the ADHD or that? Seems like every couple hours I feel like I'm losing my mind. To add to a this, four days ago I had a panic attack for the first time since 2006.

donnac55
08-25-14, 04:09 PM
And thanks for responding Missy ;) I appreciate it!

InvitroCanibal
08-26-14, 02:08 PM
Methylphenidate makes me feel like that, are you still taking it? It could just be a bad reaction to your adhd med.

I get mixed states as well but I don't get somatizations such as belly aches and head aches. It usually feels like for me anyways, like im on a roller coaster I just want off. I feel anxiety and depression at the same time and can't concentrate. I don't eat and I hardly sleep. Took about 6 months for the last major one to end...it was pretty horrible. lithium is your friend in this case, when I had another one occurring I took large amounts of lithium and when it was over within a month, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. Lamictal and latuda keep me stable now but I always have that bottle of lithium handy if I feel like im starting to go manic....not that I take the whole bottle but I will take 300 to 900 mgs a day till I know i'm stable, keeping my blood levels in check and my doc informed ofcourse.

donnac55
08-26-14, 08:22 PM
6 months long? Oh my. I can't imagine how hard that must be ;( The rest of your description sounds spot on. I had a better day today so I'm guessing that was just a weird combo of my ADHD and anxiety raging up under a lot of stress? Is it possible to have a mixed episode lasting only one day? I know for sure I've had depressed periods for several months and manic episodes that generally last one day. (Explosive speech, annoying and almost frightening happiness, my mind and mouth racing each other. I've never had grandiose thoughts though.)

Can't wait to get my insurance figured out so I can control the ADHD symptoms! I only took the methylphenidate one time and it was on 8/16.

Thanks for your response Invitro =)

InvitroCanibal
08-27-14, 10:31 PM
6 months long? Oh my. I can't imagine how hard that must be ;( The rest of your description sounds spot on. I had a better day today so I'm guessing that was just a weird combo of my ADHD and anxiety raging up under a lot of stress? Is it possible to have a mixed episode lasting only one day? I know for sure I've had depressed periods for several months and manic episodes that generally last one day. (Explosive speech, annoying and almost frightening happiness, my mind and mouth racing each other. I've never had grandiose thoughts though.)

Can't wait to get my insurance figured out so I can control the ADHD symptoms! I only took the methylphenidate one time and it was on 8/16.

Thanks for your response Invitro =)

One of the laws of biology is that anything is possible.

Have I experienced temporary 24 hour mixed states, yes. But they were usually encompassing a larger mood shift that was occurring every 2 to 3 years. To clarify, I have dual mood shifts always occuring simultaneously, one being the long wave and the other the short wave. So for example, if I am manic due to the summer season, whether I am depressed, giddy, anxious, or angry is determined by that 2 or 3 year long wave state.

So in essence I have the seasonal changes as one shift that is rapidly changing and another simultaneously changing state that is independent of the seasons, that spans over the course of three years like clock work.

So ya, temporary mixed states can happen and are common if the bipolar isnt buckled down and one takes adhd meds

Hope that helps,

Best of luck to you :)

fracturedstory
08-29-14, 10:48 PM
When I was on Ritalin I had rapid cycling moods and mixed episodes always. Off the meds I have the occasional mixed episode. During the last one I was alternating between happy states and feeling the need to cry. Usually the mixing is so intense and rapid I feel like hitting my head against something.

They do pass though. I try my best to stay in that happy state but it's like my brain is in autopilot.