View Full Version : How to proceed from here...

GettingBetter
08-25-14, 07:46 PM
I've been depressed on and off since I was 13, and am now 20. I recently had a massive backslide again, and I'm having trouble with even leaving my room. I have heard mixed opinions about whether or not I should take meds, and I was wondering what people's experiences have been. I have found that I am able to function when school is in session, so a lot of people have said that I should go without medication since it's not worth the risk, as I can get by without it. At the same time, it's hard constantly arguing with myself in order to stay stable, and I want to do well in college, not just get by. If depression isn't severe enough to be dangerous, should people still consider medication?

Corina86
08-26-14, 09:24 AM
Nobody can answer this question for you, since you're the only one who really knows how you feel.

As an information, know that medication for depression doesn't have serious health risks, if you're otherwise healthy, at least not in the short-term. I took anti-depressives for 3 months for my anxiety, didn't like them and stopped taking them. Whatever choice you make doesn't have to be forever. The risks of the medication are seriously exaggerated in the media and by people (at least around me).

The side-effects are different for every drug and every person. Whether or not it's better to be depressed or deal with the side-effects, depends on how badly your depression is and how it affects your life (health, studying, even social relations). I was depressed all throughout my teenage years and, if I had a choice now to go back and take medication, even though I'm over it, I would've taken them. I missed out on a lot because of my depression and I'm not getting those years back. But this is just my own experience though; most people don't ever get over depression without treatment, because it's a chemical imbalance, it's not circumstantial for everyone.

Also, for depression, therapy is very successful and has no side-effects. It could be a good place to start, imo. I'd do it too, if I could afford it. But you need to stick to it for a while in order to see the effects, though.

someothertime
08-26-14, 10:13 AM
Feelings can be deceptive....

Start with seeing someone... anyone who is understanding... if you are in your room heaps... then most alternatives i can see are fairly promising.

I have noticed with myself... that an absence of activity brings on then compounds these "feelings"... So whatever it takes to get a little spring.... it's worth it.

Sounds like you are fairly on top of your symptoms ( know them )... that is a really good thing...

Nibs91
08-30-14, 02:24 PM
Props to you if you can handle your life enough without meds. From what you posted I'd wait it out....just my thought. When it starts screwing up your life and you're feeling terrible constantly, that's when for sure you should see someone. I really wish I could keep it together without meds, but it's impossible.

dvdnvwls
08-30-14, 04:04 PM
You've said that you function when school is in session... that's a great thing for you to know, and might be able to teach you a lot about yourself.

A couple of things to think about - if you'd rather not discuss them in public, then go over them privately for yourself:

- What are some of the differences, for you today, that if they happened would make you say you were functioning more or functioning less? (Thinking just in terms of actions, not about your mental states or how you get there.) Maybe lay it out in a 2-column page with headings "More" and "Less".

- Obviously, there are things about a school session that allow you to make some big moves toward the "More" side. What are some of those things? Put them on the other side of the page as "Things that help". (Don't limit this to school-related things... If the weather is always better during school, or if it's partly because the neighbours' kids stop bothering everyone at that time of year or whatever... You get the point - include anything that makes a difference, big or small.)

- And (you saw this coming :)) - What are some ways you could take things that help, and build them into your every-day life? Get inventive, get creative... If you're feeling comfortable, you could let someone else see your lists and you could brainstorm together. Put it on a separate page, called "Do These". (It takes a lot of space for this part.) Near each item, leave lots of room to write when you actually did it, how well it worked, and how you'll do it differently next time for better results.

- There's a strange thing about depression and being "forced" (or "forcing" yourself) to do certain things. For example, someone might be happy to say that school forces them to go somewhere every morning, calling that a good thing. Using a little healthy friendly "force" on yourself to get some of these good things to happen is often necessary, because depression itself is an unfriendly unhealthy force, not a neutral fact of life.