View Full Version : Phosphatidyl serine/ Lecithine

adhdpi
08-26-14, 12:27 PM
I have heard that this supplement works in case of mild ADD/ ADHD.

Has anyone tried it?

As a side notice: Has anyone noticed increased intellectual ability from it?
I believe that curing ADD has the effect of increasing intellectual ability. For example: your ability to do math increases!

Corina86
08-27-14, 09:43 AM
I tried it, but it didn't do anything for me. It can't hurt you to try though.

JJJJJJJJJJ
09-25-14, 03:11 PM
I have heard that this supplement works in case of mild ADD/ ADHD.

Has anyone tried it?

As a side notice: Has anyone noticed increased intellectual ability from it?
I believe that curing ADD has the effect of increasing intellectual ability. For example: your ability to do math increases!

I did better with a combination of Phosphatidylcholine and Phos'serine, a discontinued version of Jarrows PS100. I suspect the choline was having the bigger impact; however I hear that the phospholipids in lecithin and PS help to repair parts of brain cells damaged by oxidative stress (heavy metals, etc).

CDP Choline might pack more punch for learning and memory, especially along with acetyl l carnitine. These support production of the brain chemical acetylcholine.

I would not expect acetylcholine support to be the magic bullet for someone with ADHD but rather one of many supporting supplements. I'd expect such a person to need support for catecholamines, as well as dietary modifications, possibly a low phenol diet.

JJJJJJJJJJ
09-26-14, 10:34 PM
....CDP Choline (citicholine) might pack more punch for learning and memory, especially along with acetyl l carnitine. These support production of the brain chemical acetylcholine....

The following is one view on how CDP Choline works to support both acetylcholine (brain chemical associated with learning and memory) and also dopamine (brain chemical--low levels associated with ADD).

Note I can't provide the link to the information due to strict group regulations so you'll have to find it yourself.

Method of action
Citicoline is an intermediate between phosphatidylcholine and choline. It is transformed into choline in the intestines and then turned back into Citicoline when it crosses the blood-brain-barrier. This transformation is done via the phosphatidylcholine rate limiting enzyme.

The brain uses choline as a first choice to synthesize Acetylcholine. It can also break down phospholipids like phosphatidylcholine as a second choice for acetylcholine synthesis. Acetylcholine is the desired nootropic neurotransmitter and low levels have been linked to cognitive problems. CDP Choline increases the amount of Acetylcholine by freeing up the amount of choline to be synthesized. It also helps restore levels of phospholipids that become depleted overtime. Depleted levels of phospholipids can lead to cognitive decline.

This preservation of phospholipids has also been said to contribute to Citicolineís neuroprotective effects. Restoration of many important phospholipids can help protect the brain from damages and oxidative stresses. Citicoline also reduces inflammatory responses in the brain which may reduce blood barrier breakdown and trigger oxidative stress and brain damages.

Citicoline and Dopamine
CDP Choline encourages dopamine release through tyrosine hydroxylase activity. Citicoline is a dopamine agonist and contributes to overall levels of dopamine by inhibiting dopamine reuptake. It has been studied in a combination therapy with L-DOPA medication in Parkinsonís patients. The combination of Citicoline and L-DOPA increases the positive results in Parkinsonís patients.

Citicoline and Hormones
Citicoline has effects on hormone levels. It has been shown to raise Adrenocorticotropic hormone [ACTH] without raising the amount of stress hormones. These effects allow for a raise is HPA axis hormones without the excess stimulation of stress hormones. HPA axis hormones include anabolic and signalizing hormones like Growth Hormone or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. These hormones have an obvious health benefit to both males and females.

proileri
02-21-15, 02:35 PM
I'm currently giving PS a try - no ADD effect yet, but I'm still in the starting phase.

So far, it seems to have a slightly calming effect - it's supposed to lower cortisol levels a bit, and as I've been suffering from stress, depression and sleeping problems, it might be that my cortisol levels are somewhat high and that's what I'm feeling at the moment.

For male depression, better cortisol / testosterone ratio might also improve energy levels, especially if you do heavy exercise that boosts testosterone a bit.

burger
02-23-15, 01:28 AM
There's different types of Phosphatidyl serine. I tried the vegetable one and I did get a bit of a calming/happy effect but not really much else. The type from bovine brains is different and apparently more effective. You can google phosphatidylserine bovine versus plant if you want to know the differences.

InvitroCanibal
02-23-15, 02:48 AM
I've tried every nootropic and supplement in the book. Only one that seemed to help was phenethylamine which as it turns out was pretty much just crappy d amphetamine as d-amp is in the pea class.

The other thing that did work well come to think of it, was nicotine replacement therapy. I never smoked, went straight to patches and gum before my adhd diagnosis.

I still take nicotine along with adhd meds which works well for me.

But...too each their own and combining the two isnt something i'd recommend to anyone without a doctors advice and approval.