View Full Version : dealing with other people s hypomania

Fuzzy12
08-26-14, 03:53 PM
my mom s definitely hypo. She s talking non stop, super energetic, interested in everything..for about 5s, super confident, super social, always on the move, shopping and spending money like she s just won the lottery, Not sleeping and she s just fearless..she used to get a bit aggressive at times but so far she isn't.

For the first time ever she even seems to have noticed that something might be off. She asked me if she seemed a bit hyper and i told her that i think she s hypomanic and listed all the symptoms but we didn't talk more about it, cos she was already blabbering on about something else and my brain was absolutely mush from listening to her talking non stop.

in a way glad, cos she s feeling good and it's obviously more pleasant for her than being depressed, which i know she will be sooner or later but in worried about her turning aggressive and getting into arguments with my dad and IM worried about her bp getting worse with every episode though so far that doesn't seeem to be the case.

and she s driving me crazy. Seriously. I feel terrible about it but the constant talking is doing my head in. I even told her, thankfully she s pretty thick skinned, but i don't think she cN help it. She actually said that she felt compelled to say out loud every thought that's going through her head. She said i should just ignore her but that's difficult since i cant seem to tune her out. We ve been stuck together in the car for hours every day and it's seriously draining me.

I've given up trying to get her properly diagnosed. She s taking tricyclic ad's, which seem to be the only thing helping her depression and maybe they are making her hypo. She refuses to see another psychiatrist.

Nyway, is there any way i can get myself to be more understanding? I react very badly to people talking too much at the best of times..also, im constantly stressed because in worried about my dad blowing up. She s like a little hyper rabbit provoking a sleeping lion. Uggh..and how do i stop,her from buying shops empty? Or maybe i shouldn't. My parents at the moment can afford it and she s obviously enjoying herself

is there anything i can do tl make sure the hypomania wont get worse? Or turn mixed? Id hate for my mom to experience that...

VeryTired
08-26-14, 04:02 PM
Fuzzy!

Of course you feel concern for your mother--and of course her hypomania is driving you crazy. But I don't think there's much of anything you can or should do about this other than protect yourself. You can't stop her from experiencing her symptoms and acting on them--and really, you have your hands full with yourself these days, from your recent reports. Save your own life first, then when everything is good, you can put any spare energy you have toward her problems.

Your parents have to sort out their own individual problems, and their relationship dynamics--or not. They will decide whether or not to work on these things. It is not your job to manage this. You can tell them what you think, and offer advice, but if they don't want to hear it, you have to accept that.

If your mother literally cannot help herself from saying every thought out loud, then what you need is a pair of headphones and some music. Alternate one hour of engaging with her and one hour of listening to music. If anyone comments, say with a loving smile "This is what I need to be safe and well and happy. It is too overwhelming for me to be receptive 100% of the time--I need a little retreat into myself every so often. But I am right here next to you and I love you, and in a little while I will take my headphones off again."

Hang in there!

fracturedstory
08-29-14, 10:37 PM
I second the headphones. Just take more 'me' time and when you are around her and she gets unbearable then maybe just find things to do to get away from her. When my sister is hypo or manic I just leave the house.

InvitroCanibal
09-14-14, 05:24 PM
my mom s definitely hypo. She s talking non stop, super energetic, interested in everything..for about 5s, super confident, super social, always on the move, shopping and spending money like she s just won the lottery, Not sleeping and she s just fearless..she used to get a bit aggressive at times but so far she isn't.

For the first time ever she even seems to have noticed that something might be off. She asked me if she seemed a bit hyper and i told her that i think she s hypomanic and listed all the symptoms but we didn't talk more about it, cos she was already blabbering on about something else and my brain was absolutely mush from listening to her talking non stop.

in a way glad, cos she s feeling good and it's obviously more pleasant for her than being depressed, which i know she will be sooner or later but in worried about her turning aggressive and getting into arguments with my dad and IM worried about her bp getting worse with every episode though so far that doesn't seeem to be the case.

and she s driving me crazy. Seriously. I feel terrible about it but the constant talking is doing my head in. I even told her, thankfully she s pretty thick skinned, but i don't think she cN help it. She actually said that she felt compelled to say out loud every thought that's going through her head. She said i should just ignore her but that's difficult since i cant seem to tune her out. We ve been stuck together in the car for hours every day and it's seriously draining me.

I've given up trying to get her properly diagnosed. She s taking tricyclic ad's, which seem to be the only thing helping her depression and maybe they are making her hypo. She refuses to see another psychiatrist.

Nyway, is there any way i can get myself to be more understanding? I react very badly to people talking too much at the best of times..also, im constantly stressed because in worried about my dad blowing up. She s like a little hyper rabbit provoking a sleeping lion. Uggh..and how do i stop,her from buying shops empty? Or maybe i shouldn't. My parents at the moment can afford it and she s obviously enjoying herself

is there anything i can do tl make sure the hypomania wont get worse? Or turn mixed? Id hate for my mom to experience that...

trycyclics can make bipolar mania worse.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8038948

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714266

"TCAs) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) were associated with a higher switch rate than those treated with fluoxetine; TCAs were also associated with more intense switches."

Sounds a lot like my mom though. It took a long time for her to get treatment but lithium was what seemed to help the most, along with lamictal.

In order to get my mom to see a psychiatrist, because believe me, it was hard; was that I had to get treatment myself for my bipolar. I later on told my mom how well things were going for me and she decided to get treatment as well. I believe that'd be your best option, is to just try to highlight what the meds do for you or any family member that takes bipolar meds. Or perhaps maybe just a friend then? The point is to use positive motivation, I find it works a lot better than anything else.

Also, try waiting for her to bring up negative things she notices about herself, or mention to her what she said before and say, "well, it doesn't have to be like that. You don't have to be someone that says every thought that comes to mind, that makes it hard on people to talk to you because the conversations can be one sided. Medications help a lot of people with the same problems and they're able to function and be happier for it."

hope that helps you

Fuzzy12
09-16-14, 08:10 AM
trycyclics can make bipolar mania worse.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8038948

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714266

"TCAs) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) were associated with a higher switch rate than those treated with fluoxetine; TCAs were also associated with more intense switches."

Sounds a lot like my mom though. It took a long time for her to get treatment but lithium was what seemed to help the most, along with lamictal.

In order to get my mom to see a psychiatrist, because believe me, it was hard; was that I had to get treatment myself for my bipolar. I later on told my mom how well things were going for me and she decided to get treatment as well. I believe that'd be your best option, is to just try to highlight what the meds do for you or any family member that takes bipolar meds. Or perhaps maybe just a friend then? The point is to use positive motivation, I find it works a lot better than anything else.

Also, try waiting for her to bring up negative things she notices about herself, or mention to her what she said before and say, "well, it doesn't have to be like that. You don't have to be someone that says every thought that comes to mind, that makes it hard on people to talk to you because the conversations can be one sided. Medications help a lot of people with the same problems and they're able to function and be happier for it."

hope that helps you

Yes, her GP (who is prescribing her anti depressants) says that it's the tricyclics that induce hypomania. She's tried other classes of anti depressants but these are the only ones that work.

I did get diagnosed with BP II a couple of years ago and tried lamotrigine, thinking that if they work well for me maybe I can convince my mom as well that she needs a mood stabiliser rather than anti depressants. But it didn't work well for me. It just made me depressed and incredibly tired. Of course, there's no reason why lamotrigine or another mood stabiliser won't work for my mom but I can't present it as something that I've personally successfully tried.

The incessant talking is annoying when I'm around but otherwise hypomania isn't really a big problem. Depression is. I've read that with every episode, hypomania or depression, the frequency of episodes can increase but given a choice I'd rather have my mom be hypomanic than depressed. Just normally happy and stable doesn't seem to be an option. For neither of us...

InvitroCanibal
09-28-14, 11:35 PM
Yes, her GP (who is prescribing her anti depressants) says that it's the tricyclics that induce hypomania. She's tried other classes of anti depressants but these are the only ones that work.

I did get diagnosed with BP II a couple of years ago and tried lamotrigine, thinking that if they work well for me maybe I can convince my mom as well that she needs a mood stabiliser rather than anti depressants. But it didn't work well for me. It just made me depressed and incredibly tired. Of course, there's no reason why lamotrigine or another mood stabiliser won't work for my mom but I can't present it as something that I've personally successfully tried.

The incessant talking is annoying when I'm around but otherwise hypomania isn't really a big problem. Depression is. I've read that with every episode, hypomania or depression, the frequency of episodes can increase but given a choice I'd rather have my mom be hypomanic than depressed. Just normally happy and stable doesn't seem to be an option. For neither of us...

Latuda and lamictal worked best for me. Latuda has been a god send and it worked almost instantaneously. I did my research on it, it has almost no side effects because it is so specific in its action. It's unique in that it doesn't block choline which is critical to not causing brain damage or feeling in a stupor. It specifically targets some of the excitatory dopamine receptors, as well as activate some of the calming receptors within the serotonin group that are related to memory and attention. For this reason, a lot of users feel a cognitive benefit as well.

The starting dose recommendation for Latuda should be ignored unless ordered by your doc. Remember, it's the same rule like all meds, start low and go slow. The difference between therapeutic and nightmarish painful akathesia is only a few mgs for me and others as well. I take 15 mgs a day with absolutely zero side effects that I am aware of. It's seems it has stabilized any mania within me as well. Something very beneficial, even though it wasn't indicated for that use. It mainly was not indicated for mania because it was never studied or researched for that but I believe it stabilizes me better than anything i've tried yet, including lithium.

My doctor treats many bipolar people because he specializes in adhd and bipolar. He told me after I reported it worked well that all his other patients have been very successful on it. I thought it was interesting that when he introduced me to Latuda, he hadn't said too much about the positives or negatives regarding latuda and only focused on the fact that it was new and the only med specifically approved for bipolar depression. I think my doctor is very credible for this reason, he's not a salesman, he's a doctor. I only mention this so that you know there wasn't a placebo effect involved. When latuda works, it's the real deal, but when it doesn't work, the side effects can be, though short lived, unbearable (painful need to move). I really think though, that those people took way too much, the ones that have a terrible reaction to it.

Hope that gives you a place to start

sarahsweets
09-29-14, 04:20 AM
Dealing with someone else's hypomania sucks,there is no other way to put it. As empathetic as I am because I am bipolar, I still have an issue dealing with someone else experiencing the issues that I myself have gone through.