View Full Version : What do you do with your hair?

willow129
08-26-14, 09:10 PM
I feel like this is a place where I won't be judged for asking this :D

So, I feel like pretty updos are kind of in fashion nowadays (or maybe I just notice them more)
I see all these pretty hairstyles all around and I so wish I knew how to do them!!

I'm working on learning how to braid my own hair, I can almost do a nice-ish braid fairly consistently.

I have pretty thick hair but I think it's also a little soft, so it's heavy and doesn't really grip to itself, so I don't seem to be able to do much with it except have it down (and in the way) ponytail, half up, and maybe a braid sometimes.

What do you do with your hair?

(Also, any advice for me?! :D)

namazu
08-26-14, 09:15 PM
Winter: ponytail.

Other seasons: alligator clip to keep it off my neck.

My hair tends to be pretty frizzy except in the winter (when it's limp and static-y), and I don't usually have to look "done-up" for any reason, so I go with "easy".

[EDIT: So, no advice to offer!]

Lunacie
08-26-14, 09:33 PM
I wear a pony tail when it's hot - that or use a claw clip to twist it up the back of my head.

It's not really long enough at the mo to do a braid, and my hair is so fine it makes a skinny braid.
I'm so jealous of those who have a long thick shiny braid.

stef
08-26-14, 11:42 PM
don't get me started!
I have the same texture of hair but it's too short for a pony tail. I style it back for volume (hot rollers). it looks nice 'puffed' on the top and the ends kind of curled up.(60s ish). the true nature of my hair, goes exactly the other way of course.

Fuzzy12
08-26-14, 11:45 PM
my hair is super thick and wiry. I need to thin it out or i can't leave it open. I hate styling my hair. Blow drying or straightening my hair is so mind numbingly boring that i just cant do it. So i either just leave it opeN, or tie it up.

i could give you advice on how to manage frizzy or thick hair but not soft hair. My hair is like hay....:lol:

Unmanagable
08-27-14, 01:31 AM
I wear it either down (often with a straw hat in the summer, and a denim or floppy leather hat when it's cooler), in a pony tail, or back in the claw clip thingy. Mine is super thin and straight as a board, naturally, but I've been getting perms and coloring it for so many years, it's hard to tell what it'll do all on it's own.

Kinky-curly is my preference, but not like a poodle's a**. lmao I really hate it right after getting a perm. I prefer months later after it's wayyyyy relaxed. I'd like to find a better way to keep the front strands out of my face and tame the frizz.

I'm letting it grow back out now, so it's a wide array of hues, depending on how the light hits it, especially with my "wisdom highlights". lol There was a time I would be so damn anxious and horrified knowing that, that I wouldn't be able to go anywhere until I fixed it.

I'm going to let color and consistency go natural and see how I like it. I'm tired of the expense and energy it takes to willingly soak my head in that stinky crap, then adding even more products to soak into my brain to keep it styled "just right", keep the frizz down, give it body, de-tangle, kick up the curl, fortify and lengthen, blah, blah, blah.

It's so weird to hear myself say that after years of primping my hair and nails like a mofo. Hahahahahaha!!! I sure wish I could get all that time and money back.......and replace that chunk of ozone layer I'm certain I wiped out with my big a** can of Rave #4 hair spray. lol

That reminds me.............

Did y'all know bobby pins are meant to go rough side down instead of smooth side down? I could never get those little f'rs to stay in place and haven't tried since I read that. I threw all of mine away in frustration. lol

missmedusa
08-27-14, 02:04 AM
I have baby-fine hair, but a lot of it. It refused to stay in ponytails and the like unless I used those special grippy hair bands. I cut it all off, it's in a pixi cut now which is fun, easy to style, and convenient temperature-wise, given that I live in a desert :)

Corina86
08-27-14, 04:03 AM
Pony tail
Leave it down
Claw clam
Simple bun
Braid (if someone else braids it, I suck at it, even after a couple dozens of attempts)

I advise you to search on youtube for all sorts of braids and buns. Also, I used to visit another forum (Long Hair Community) and there were lots of tips there, specific for different types of hair, plus lots of photos.

Personally, I love them all, but I lack patience, I have 2 left feet for hands and a very strange type of hair (long, mostly thick, but some of it is soft, frizzy, coarse, straight, but gets curled up into strange shapes easily and, on my temples, it doesn't grow as long as the rest is).

MADD As A Hatte
08-28-14, 08:08 AM

So, I feel like pretty updos are kind of in fashion nowadays (or maybe I just notice them more)
I see all these pretty hairstyles all around and I so wish I knew how to do them!!

I'm working on learning how to braid my own hair, I can almost do a nice-ish braid fairly consistently.

I have pretty thick hair but I think it's also a little soft, so it's heavy and doesn't really grip to itself, so I don't seem to be able to do much with it except have it down (and in the way) ponytail, half up, and maybe a braid sometimes.

Firstly, love the having of it. Each morning, run your hands through your hair and say "phwoooooar sexy!!" out loud , coz honey, once menopause kicks in weird **** happens ... like .. you go from oceans of baby fine, VO5 thick velvety hair to ... normal people hair. Bleckkkk. Hair loss. I DO NOT understand how men are so gracious about it. You can't tell, looking at me, but I've gone from wrestling my hair into a scrunchy, to wrapping a stupid hair elastic three times around my ponytail.

It doesn't matter what you do with it. It'll look great just because it's all there.

Have you tried those nifty loop things that sort of pull your pony tail inside out?

Meantime, a bit of DIY on YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVq_e7ggoM0

sarahsweets
08-29-14, 04:53 AM
I am fortunate to have good genetics and good hair. It's not too thick and I have a lot of it. When it's really hot I either use bobby pins for a French twist or a claw clip. Any other time it's long wavey and I leave it down. It has streaks of purple and my hair is naturally blond so I think it looks nice. It makes me feel sexy and the husband digs it.

Daydreamin22
08-29-14, 05:07 AM
I like towel drying my hair and scrunching it with oil and wavy spray or a little curling gel. I don't brush it and the pieces stay together. I flip my head down and scrunch it do that there's volume at the top and just let it dry. I have naturally wavy hair.

I also like doing a fun braid. Here's the video. It's fun and easy to do if you know how to french braid already.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCPaH3ORDfs

Daydreamin22
08-29-14, 06:19 AM
Mostly, though, I do a blow out with a round brush and straighten it to high heaven.

RobboW
08-29-14, 06:45 AM
I just hit mine with a #2 comb on the clippers :D

Easy to wash and dries fast, no faffing about to keep it neat.

Sorry ladies, couldn't help myself :giggle:

willow129
08-30-14, 09:00 AM
Firstly, love the having of it. Each morning, run your hands through your hair and say "phwoooooar sexy!!" out loud , coz honey, once menopause kicks in weird **** happens ... like .. you go from oceans of baby fine, VO5 thick velvety hair to ... normal people hair. Bleckkkk. Hair loss. I DO NOT understand how men are so gracious about it. You can't tell, looking at me, but I've gone from wrestling my hair into a scrunchy, to wrapping a stupid hair elastic three times around my ponytail.

It doesn't matter what you do with it. It'll look great just because it's all there.

You're fabulous :D :giggle: :goodpost:

michaelaisabell
10-23-14, 05:51 PM
my hair is almost always in a ponytail mostly because im always in a rush! lol

Flory
10-23-14, 08:27 PM
my hair is down to the middle of my butt/neat m hips, im hoping by next year itll reach my thighs, then i wont let it grow longer than that but i love long hair

....its so freaking heavy that wearing it down and just brushing it is usually the easiest option, if im going somewhere fancy schmancy ill do a curl and just add some sparkly haberdashery to it , i opt for a tight bun or a high ponytail when i need it out of they way, especially in summer. and at night it feels like im being strangled so i do a big bun right on the top of my head so i dont wake up with a cracking headache (happens when i lay on it awkwardly or the bun is in the wrong place and i sleep in a funny position)

Little Missy
10-23-14, 08:29 PM
I can gussy up fine if I wish to. Hot rollers for barely a minute because I have so much body to my hair it holds a curl forever ad super fast.

But, I usually let it dry by itself, but it takes forever because it is very thick and naturally curly and I wear it with a headband or in a ponytail. Voila!

willow129
10-23-14, 09:39 PM
Little missy your hair sounds loooveellyy

stef
10-24-14, 12:05 AM
I don't have my hot rollers so I am relying on regular plastic curlers AND a big curling iron while I am here...

Little Missy
10-25-14, 12:21 PM
Little missy your hair sounds loooveellyy

Well, don't get too complimentary...it either looks nice or it looks like I combed it with an egg beater. And it is wiry too. Jewish frizz, really.:lol:

OhLookABunny
10-25-14, 12:45 PM
Mine too, for that reason, but even more so because I can't stand it blowing around my face or making the back of my neck hot. I've considered having it cut short, but if I do, I'd want to lose a bunch of weight first or else I fear it wouldn't be very flattering.

pooka
10-25-14, 01:21 PM
I have thick hair and have been growing it out for a few years, so it's almost waist-length now. I'm lazy af when it comes to beauty routines (I don't wear any makeup) so it's always either down or braided. Sometimes when I'm feeling fidgety I'll constantly braid and unbraid my hair. If I'm feeling really fancy I'll straighten it or put it half up with a nice clip.

Rebelyell
10-25-14, 03:53 PM
Is gonna bleach mines out again the he'll with everyone!

sarahsweets
11-02-14, 08:29 AM
Long,wild and free. That's what I've got going on. Straight out of the shower I scrunch it and its wavy. Brushing it and tying it back leaves it straight. I'm naturally a blond and have streaks of purple so leaving it down is fun.

Cdnstargazer
11-08-14, 12:36 AM
My hair is short year round. Summertime I usually faux hawk it. In winter I grow it longer into a sha or sweet it to my cheekbones and bangs to one side.

Carol
11-18-14, 04:31 PM
Anime/manga ponytail -- for my son. I have long, thick hair, slightly wavy. I towel dry, bend over, run fingers through loosely, gather into ponytail on top of head, twist, tight elastic band, claw clip to anchor underside of elastic band, stand straight, spread ponytail ends a bit for spikiness.

MrsNewton
11-24-14, 08:11 AM
I could never decide how I wanted to wear it, so it almost always went in a pony or a messy bun.

So, I chopped it all off. I mean, chopped, chopped, lol.

I actually really like it most of the time. There is little I can do with it, so it kind of takes the indecisiveness out of the equation and I actually look half way decent.

tinybike
01-16-15, 09:59 AM
I keep it cropped short around the bottom half and just about 4" long on top. Just long enough to style it edgy and cool when I want to, but easy-care for the day to day. I colour it to keep it fun without having to work much on it. Bleach blonde on top and my natural (black) on the short part.

icarusinflames
04-28-15, 07:52 AM
weirdly I have always been a hair twirler. I don't do that much with my hair. I feel proud to clean it and get it somewhat presentable, but I don't tend to over focus on my appearance anymore. That was my youth. I would spend 2 hours in the bathroom getting ready for a night out. Every morning, I could only finish half my grooming at home because it was so complicated! I would do my hair at home and do my makeup in the girls room at school. I think that it makes sense that anything I do takes 2 or 3 times as long to accomplish, unless i'm ignoring it and neglecting it. SO grooming takes a long time and I get very into it. Or I don't do it much at all. I used to be majorly into french braiding and twists and all kinds of things, when I was doing that. Now I don't do more than a simple scrunchie.

BellaVita
04-28-15, 08:48 AM
Since I'm growing out my hair (it's almost to my rear area) I usually just blow dry it with head down to gain extra volume.

Then I just kind comb here and there and make sure I have a part for my very long (nonexistent?) side-bangs.

I sometimes wear a flower (big fan of those) to match my outfit.

stef
04-28-15, 08:58 AM
Basically it involves getting it to do the exact opposite of what it wants...
it's completely straight, unfixable, so I have some kind of a perm at all times and as it grows out I use hot rollers for volume. I recently got one though so I am in the stage of blowdrying and using those big velcro rollers for volume and for it to go back, and scrunching the ends so they aren't frizzy.

Little Missy
04-28-15, 09:15 AM
Nothing. It is wild and crazy and thick and curly and it is just how it is. I love wearing a headband but they give me headaches. I love ponytailing it but that hurts after awhile too.

Sometimes I clip it up if I'm desperately hot but that really hurts.

flightybird
04-28-15, 09:20 AM
I am probably the least-adept person in the entire world when it comes to hair. Back when it was longer, I nearly always tossed it into a ponytail or a bun (using a hair donut which was my best friend in the world). Now, I have it cut in a swing bob (though I need to get it trimmed again). When it bothers me on the back of my neck, I put it up in a claw clip and one of my co-worker calls it the "I've Given Up" hair :giggle:

sarahsweets
04-29-15, 04:38 AM
Long, loose and wavy, like my men . ;)

BellaVita
04-29-15, 05:24 AM
I'm super tired and accidentally read the title of this thread as:
"what do you do with your chest hair?"

Flory
04-29-15, 06:53 PM
My hairs down to my butt now, I just brush and go. Love my princess hair

Luvmybully
04-29-15, 07:48 PM
Every 3 or 4 years I get my hair cut (give or take a few). When I have to hold my ponytail off the floor when I clean my sewing room floor, it's time.

I normally cut my bangs myself when I get sick of blinking on them. But I can't see well enough anymore! Uggg that means I have to go have someone cut them. YUCK.

Other than that, I wash it. I hardly ever brush it, that just makes if fluffier and fuzzier. My hair texture falls into the thick, course, like straw, category. And there is TONS of it.

Ponytails, or a barrette if I can find one big enough to hold enough of it to make it worth it.

Lizzie80
06-06-15, 02:00 AM

The "Hair Romance" blog has loads of pretty updos with pics and step-by-step instructions. I get lots of ideas from that. I do everything- French rolls, chignons, braids of all sorts, 60's style teased updos, coils...you name it. I have always had a thing for wearing my hair up. So glad it's come back in style to wear updos! I remember being laughed at in the early 2000's for wearing a French braid! :s I still get odd looks when I wear it up, but whatever...

I'm kind of a hair rebel, cuz everyone in my urbanized metro area is deard set on having straight hair. I refuse to straighten mine, because I love my long, curly hair. If that makes me a relic, so be it...I also refused the curling-ironed-bangs look of 1992, and am I ever glad I did, outcast tho I was at the time. ;)

daveddd
06-06-15, 12:04 PM
buzz it at about a half inch

Amtram
06-25-15, 03:08 PM
I can do almost anything with someone else's hair, but not a darned thing with my own. If it weren't for texturizing sprays and working hairsprays and hot tools, I'd buzz the whole thing. Then get my scar tattooed so it looked like I did it on purpose. Wigs are also an option, but not in the summer heat of New Jersey!

eclectic beagle
06-25-15, 03:24 PM
Keep it short.

Pura Vida
10-13-15, 06:03 PM
Make friends with people who like to play with hair ;)

I don't usually have the patience to deal with my long hair past a simple braid, bun, or pony tail, but my roommates love to mess with it and try new things with it because it is so long. Of course, I happily agree because then I can sit back and just have very important, random thoughts while essentially getting a head massage

GoalieMel33
10-15-15, 02:58 PM
At home a low ponytail, otherwise a high one. I also like to cut my hair (in layers and v shape) and bangs once in a while :) Keeping them shorter than mid-back.

Lizzie80
10-16-15, 12:43 AM
I wear mine long and layered. It's naturally curly and so thick that my hairstylist has to take thinning shears to it. I'm a natural dark blonde, but right now it's dyed auburn. When I actually take the time to put the two handfuls of conditioner mixed with Moroccan oil to make it über-curly (the more moisture the more curls I get), it looks a lot like Julia Roberts' hair in Pretty Woman. If only the rest of me looked she did in that!

I have worn French braids, buns, chignons, French twists, and so on since I was very young. I'm 35 now, so we're talking over 25 years. I wore them even when they weren't in vogue, and am so glad they have finally come back in style. They make having long hair a lot of fun!

Ponytails can be really hard on the hair shaft and can cause headaches, so I stick to only wearing low ponytails. Generally I prefer a French braid for workouts, but on days when my hair has a bit more natural oil and/or styling products in it, I might do a French twist with those corkscrew Goody twists to help hold it in place. For working out, I also love this easy curly hair updo from the awesome Hair Romance site. This style keeps my hair in its curly condition, it looks nice, and it holds up to tough exercise routines:

http://www.hairromance.com/2014/11/my-quick-everyday-curly-hair-updo.html

Lizzie80
10-16-15, 12:48 AM
I am fortunate to have good genetics and good hair. It's not too thick and I have a lot of it. When it's really hot I either use bobby pins for a French twist or a claw clip. Any other time it's long wavey and I leave it down. It has streaks of purple and my hair is naturally blond so I think it looks nice. It makes me feel sexy and the husband digs it.

You're lucky that it's just the right thickness. My hair laughs at most bobby pins and all claw clips or clamps. I have to order special, heavy-duty clips or the type of ponytail holders designed for industrial strength. And yes, my hair gets hot as HELL in Washington, D.C. swamp-like summers. Yuck. A French twist is definitely a long-haired girl's best friend in those months! :)

Men love long hair, don't they? Good lord. I've noticed most men gravitate to women with longer hair. Curls or waves definitely don't hurt, either.

TangledWebs
10-16-15, 01:08 AM
I grew my hair out after having shoulder-length hair for most of my life. I wish I looked good with a braid! My hair has to sit a certain way on my head or else I look odd.

http://i59.tinypic.com/10ef23r.jpg

stef
10-16-15, 02:22 AM
OMG I know what you mean about hair sitting a certain way! mine so desperately wants to go forward and straight dows the sides but that looks wrong and i can just feel it siting there.

mikefly
10-16-15, 08:06 AM
I know this is the womens page but i have fairly long hair and ADHD so let us not forget at times the impulse control does not function :) More of a question because my wife has pretty much no hair. I am a musician and on stage under the lights so hot and pooof instant friz, anyone know what i can put in my hair to stop that??

Gilthranon
10-16-15, 08:29 AM
I take it to a nice beach. Some wine at sunset. Some rum. At the sight of dolphins between coconuts under palm trees we get cozy

TracyLauren
10-16-15, 11:38 AM
I'm so greatful to have a natural curl to my hair because I don't think I could handle high maintenance hair. Finding time in the morning to do my face is hard enough. I keep it shoulder length and all I need to do is add a little product while it's still wet and that's it.

KarVer13
10-16-15, 07:23 PM
I know this is the womens page but i have fairly long hair and ADHD so let us not forget at times the impulse control does not function :) More of a question because my wife has pretty much no hair. I am a musician and on stage under the lights so hot and pooof instant friz, anyone know what i can put in my hair to stop that??
My wife uses a spray at Wal-Mart called no frizz or friz ease

:-) I cut my own, 12$ a hair cut I can do it myself. Ex Army so short hair or no hair I dont care..

stef
10-18-15, 04:07 PM

garnier makes this kind of oil for frizzy hair ( i used it when i got a perm) not sure what the exact name is in Enflish

stef
10-18-15, 04:23 PM
lol posted something here, that was for another thread

Little Missy
10-18-15, 04:30 PM
it seems that we are either being told, aat some point, we have unrealistic goals OR we aren.t working up to standards.

These 2 things cannot stop us from pursuing our own goals ( even if they are not the goals'that everyone may have, or think we should have)

Oh boy, I have that problem with my hair too.

stef
10-18-15, 04:34 PM
Oh boy, I have that problem with my hair too.

wrong thread! pls ignore that:doh:

Lizzie80
11-04-15, 12:25 AM
Here is how I looked on Halloween: hair is auburn, long, and curly right now. (And yes, I went as a vampire!)

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hprofile-xap1/v/t1.0-1/p160x160/12189709_10205059374388365_7302814393923722625_n.j pg?oh=7d20cd50bf26684e3fea4ebff55f5aef&oe=56BA62E5

Polymorphed
11-04-15, 02:29 AM
I shave mine off when my male pattern baldness becomes too much of a contrast, which is usually fortnightly :D

sarahsweets
11-04-15, 05:11 AM
my hair is purple and long.

Little Missy
11-04-15, 09:57 AM
I finally got that chick at Snappy Cuts to do a little more than a blunt bob and...it is still wild and crazy and curly with a slight shape to it!

Lunacie
11-04-15, 12:11 PM
I got tired of not being able to do much with my long hair except put it in a ponytail or semi-chignon.

So I cut off the ponytail thinking it was long enough to send to Locks of Love.

Not quite long enough. :(

Checked out a salon online, page said they give senior discounts, so I decided to get it shaped there.

Nope, got charged full price. :(

But it dries so much quicker now and I don't have to use all that conditioner and only half as much shampoo. :)

Delphine
11-04-15, 03:44 PM
A nearby salon has opened up a new quick blow-dry-bar, and I decided to make a point of popping in once a week or so (no appointment necessary).

It's half the price of regular salon prices - they don't cut or style or colour, just wash and blow dry. But they manage to tame my thick wavy locks in a way that I can never manage.

I decided this would be my treat for quitting smoking and so far I've made it 3 Fridays in a row :) (almost didn't, every time - resistance is such a drag).

Hope I keep it up, it's such a treat! And it lasts the weekend. So not like me to do something like that..... or keep going.