View Full Version : Which is more likely to increase general anxiety...

ferez21
08-27-14, 03:08 AM
...over the course of 2 weeks?
Bad nutrition? Or lack of sufficient sleeping hours?

Unmanagable
08-27-14, 03:25 AM
Hmmmm......Each one causes different things, yet many similar things, so.......both, just to a different extreme in different arenas, depending on what's expected of you.

Fuzzy12
08-27-14, 07:24 AM
i guess it depends on The individual and you really need both but if I had to choose id think that a lack of sleep would cause more anxiety or make you more susceptible to anxiety even over very short periods of time.

it also depends on what you mean by bad nutrition. Do you mean not eating healthily or not eating enough? Personally, if i eat too little my emotional regulation, and things like anxiety, get worse but just eating junk for two weeks doesn't affect me too much...

Tmoney
08-27-14, 08:16 AM
Hands down lack of sleep. Without good sleep I do not have the patience or energy to deal with my disorders!

A cranky & tired Tmoney is a dangerous thing!

ferez21
08-27-14, 08:19 AM
You were right about the sleep...i feel much better after sleeping 7 hours last night, when my average sleeping time on the last 2 weeks was 4-5 hours.

Ing3nium
08-27-14, 06:41 PM
A cranky & tired Tmoney is a dangerous thing!

NOW you're making me anxious, lol. But medications would be part of your food, and without medications I'm sure that the effect would be worse.

:goodpost:

Darkneko
08-27-14, 08:59 PM
Poor sleep would effect anxiety because you can't deal with life as easy.
Poor diet would also effect anxiety as a poor diet could change your energy levels and maybe even hormones and that stuff. Low energy would make you tired.
Lack of exercise would effect anxiety because exercise produces that hormones that makes you happy.
When I changed to a healthy lifestyle, I felt much more relaxed and less anxious.

sabotender
08-28-14, 01:03 AM
For me, if everyone's talking to me at the same time, my anxiety level goes up. My brain goes into a big spin and then I grew confused to who says what.

add_me
08-29-14, 03:47 PM
I'm a nervous wreck if I don't get enough sleep. For me, lack of sleep is like having a hangover, minus the upset stomach from alcohol.

sarahsweets
08-30-14, 05:38 AM
Both. But if I have to pick on I would say lack of sleep.

willow129
08-30-14, 10:38 AM
Lack of sleep gives me a more instantly noticeable increase in anxiety and symptoms I recognize.

I could believe that I might get some less obvious symptoms of anxiety from poor diet too though.

ferez21
08-30-14, 11:36 AM
Lack of sleep gives me a more instantly noticeable increase in anxiety and symptoms I recognize.
That's exactly what i thought - Theoretically, you can survive without food for several weeks, without water for up to a 6-7 days, but you can crash after 2-3 days without sleeping...so sleeping will be the aspect that have the most instant affect on our body.

willow129
08-30-14, 12:10 PM
Yes ferez...

also I guess if you look at it that way, a poor diet does not necessarily mean cutting out all food altogether (I was interpreting "poor diet" as food that's not good for you and not enough nutrients)

But lack of sleep is...no sleep!

So I could see that having more severe symptoms.

Sekhmet2014
09-20-14, 05:30 AM
Lack of sleep, hands down.

clydethompson
12-24-14, 10:05 PM
lack of sleep, and big up on whats expected of you.
I haven't slept more than 30 hours in... 5 days? and have dramatically increased paranoia, major OCD bursts (2hours, could be done in 3min), decreased appetite (not helping with med schedule), shadow hallucinations regarding already present insect phobia, depression worsened, etc. etc.

in the past, with more-than-poor nutrition only noticed less energy, memory deficit, med schedule problems. However, I normally eat less than others but it fits my metabolism...

So for me, sleep hands down because if you have obligations/things you want to do its much more difficult to control anxiety- no energy -> less movement/exercise ->increased depression/anxiety.

thinking about it, its been more than 5 days... I only got 6 hours this morning after 3 days.
(*i know this is a problem, extenuating circumstances with holiday/meds)

Abi
12-24-14, 10:30 PM
Both. Depends on the individual. For me it would be poor nutrition though.