View Full Version : Sleep Disorder?

heylookacastle!
08-27-14, 05:57 AM
I, as well as my 6 year old daughter, have never really slept normally.

When I was a child, I used to sleep walk on occasion, had severe and persistent nightmares, have had issues with sleep paralysis before entering REM sleep, and on two separate occasions I ended up acting out my dreams due to a LACK of the normal paralysis that happens when you go into REM sleep.

Although the nightmares have become less frequent as an adult, from multiple different ones in a night to every other night, I still experience such vivid dreams that I can remember them almost entirely upon waking, full colour, much like the memory of watching a tv show and can also lucid dream on occasion, an ability that I developed as a child.

As a late diagnosis Adult with ADHD-C, I had chalked it up to being a result of the hyperactivity component associated with ADHD and up until now have done the same with my daughter who, except for the "acting out" of dreams, has the exact same sleep disruptions as myself.

These issues did not fade with time and have persevered throughout my entire life. I actually never noticed how weird my sleep patterns were until I saw it happening in my daughter, and I compared sleep experiences with my husband.

I take Adderall XR during the day and it has greatly improved my sleep so that sometimes I sleep throughout the night without waking at 1 am and 4 am, as well as I can't remember my dreams or anything that happens while I sleep...equating to a smiley faced me in the morning! Does this mean it's ADHD related?

We both will be completing a sleep analysis under control conditions, and I guess I'm just wondering, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Does this sound familiar to those with the hyperactivity component?

Anyone heard of similar experiences or had them yourself?

Thanks everyone!

sarahsweets
08-28-14, 05:07 AM
I say get a sleep study done for yourself. It was an invaluable help to me when conquering my sleep problems. I actually know how to make myself dream which sounds crazy but it's something I've always been able to do. With a sleep study they will be able to monitor your brain waves and sleep cycles as well as rem sleep. Even if you have the sleep thing under control it can still be an amazing tool.

heylookacastle!
08-31-14, 11:05 AM
I say get a sleep study done for yourself. It was an invaluable help to me when conquering my sleep problems. I actually know how to make myself dream which sounds crazy but it's something I've always been able to do. With a sleep study they will be able to monitor your brain waves and sleep cycles as well as rem sleep. Even if you have the sleep thing under control it can still be an amazing tool.

That's fantastic to hear that it helped you that much! I will definitely be looking into it for myself and my daughter.

It doesn't sound weird that you can make yourself dream... I do something like that where I try to imagine myself doing something and I develop all the little details until I fall into a dream state without even realizing it until things start defying basic laws like gravity, then I realize I'm dreaming. lol

Sadly I've only been able to do this maybe a handful of times... Is that what you mean by making yourself dream?

Hopefully I can learn something from it that will help my daughter. She is really stressed out by her dreams and hasn't been able to lucid dream in order to change the uncomfortable thoughts; causing lots of sleepless nights.

Where they able to explain why you dream differently than others or how your able to do things that others can't?

Just curious! :D