View Full Version : Why does CVS constantly run out of Focalin ???

DJC-77
08-27-14, 10:10 PM
Both myself and my son take it and the rules are very strict they will not refill the script unless it's one day away from the 30th day that the previous prescription was written. Sometimes we go 2 or 3 days with nothing until they get their order in.I can't understand why they don't always have enough in stock so they don't run out..GRR !!:mad:

namazu
08-27-14, 10:42 PM
Two thoughts on this...

1. There is currently a shortage of dexmethylphenidate in the U.S (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/dsp_ActiveIngredientDetails.cfm?AI=Dexmethylphenid ate Hydrochloride (Focalin) Tablet&st=c&tab=tabs-1)., so it could be a widespread problem and not CVS' fault specifically.

2. If it's just an issue of this particular store not having it in stock, you might try speaking with the pharmacist. Let the pharmacist know that you and your son expect to be filling prescriptions for [insert quantity] [insert dose(s)] pills monthly, and it would be helpful to you and your son for not-running-out purposes if they could make a note to order it for you about 26 days from now so they'll have it in stock when the time comes to fill your prescription.

This may or may not work, depending on whether the national shortage is affecting things, and how with-it your CVS staffers are. (I have done this -- told them in advance I would be coming back with a prescription for X and could they please order it -- for unusual circumstances, like in advance of international travel when I needed a large quantity by a certain date, and they've been very good about it.) It may help, especially if it's a busy store, to write the info down (your names, doses, monthly quantity, and anticipated fill date) for them and talk to them at a less-busy time of day.

Good luck!