View Full Version : Online Courses; Good or just evil?

apoeticdevice
08-27-14, 11:03 PM
Let me start with my background on online courses.

Last Fall I took two art history classes fully online. I did pretty good at the classes. (I am a Art History Minor.)

This Summer I took another art history class and did all the assignments and ridiculous papers and had a passing grade. All the assignments were always due by Sunday night. On the last Sunday of the course I get on to take my final and it showed me instantly my big fat F because I did not do my Final which was oddly enough due on a Wed of all days.

I tried to dispute it with the teacher.. He would not let me take it late. I tried to talk to my advisor nothing. So, I have to retake it. I'll eat that mistake because it was my fault and I will now start stapling Syllabus on myself..

Now I am currently taking another Art History class online and really trying to get an override for the physical class and neither the prof or advisor can do a damn thing. So, I am so afraid I screw up again. I just wrote down the first two weeks of the syllabus on two different planners JUST INCASE but ... maybe I am overreacting? Anyways, this semester I will make sure to go to the Disability Office and let them know ahead of time. I didn't during the summer because I have never had this happen to me and I am sure that if i had told the teacher about my ADHD/disability dept he would have extended the final for me. :(

So, back to the main point.
The physical class is FULL but if someone does drop it I can register for it. However, to do this I have to drop my online course to replace it with the physical because it won't allow me to register for the same class twice. The main advice that the prof told me was to NOT drop the online course until I was in the physical course. Yet, I told my advisor this and she told me that I would have to drop the online course first..

So, it seems that I won't risk it and I am stuck in the online version. But, I AM TERRIFIED.

Thoughts?:confused:

Eaaqas
08-29-14, 06:17 PM
EEEEVVVVIILLLLLLLL

Lol, I hate online classes. Physically getting up to walk to campus gets me motivated enough to actually do school work. Plus, when I see my professor I feel like I have a personal connection and should work to impress them.

That being said, since I'm a natural slacker, it feels REAALLY good to be able to postpone every assignment :P

Put every assignment in your calendar and set lots of reminders! It helps me a lot in classes like that.

burger
08-29-14, 08:08 PM
I'd probably get someone to watch your progress and force you along. Online or work alone at your own pace courses are terrible for me.

MuEdLife
09-03-14, 04:41 PM
Set a reminder for eeeeeeverything in that class. Like every little test/project/exam with a loud alarm so you know something needs to be done. I do this with all my classes (they're physical but still, I tend to skip all the days I can). I also recommend a HUGE calendar that you highlight with different colors for different tasks. Put it on your fridge or somewhere you will see it EVERY day.

For me I do it like this:
Highlighted orange means exams
Highlighted pink means quiz
Highlighted yellow is essays and projects
And underlined blue is online homework that's due(my math class does homework and quizzes online but exams and lectures are in a building)

I have this calendar above my computer desk and next to my TV so I always see it! As soon as I received course schedules I wrote them down in my calendar so nothing would creep up on me! I'm horrible about remembering stuff or thinking stuff happens at different times, this works better for me than a phone app because I am confronted with it every day whether I want to be or not ��

addthree
09-03-14, 05:03 PM
This is why I strayed from online class. I like going at a set time so I get reminders. I am also the worlds biggest slacker/procrastinator. If you don't remind me it doesn't exist.

finallyfound10
09-04-14, 10:50 PM
Evil if they don't have hard deadlines and feedback from the professor on a very regular basis.

apoeticdevice
09-04-14, 11:09 PM
:thankyou:
Thanks everyone! You all have made great points. I am so far doing a good job and I am pretty proud of myself because I am not behind. I want to start reading and try to be ahead of the class schedule by a week since I can work at my own pace. I will try to get ahead this weekend.

And what I learned from my Professor is that since the course is online and it is an open book exam that I no longer have to memorize the dates for 40+ works of art (per exam)! I am so happy, I have no idea how I did that last semester. In the past she had us memorize the name of the work, the artist, the art period, and the year. I am horrible at tests as is, let alone with my awful memory. Thank God for flash cards.

Also, I spoke to the Disability Resource Center and after I explained my situation they said that even if I had filled out the paperwork for that course that their is nothing they could have done but offer me extra time on tests and a quiet testing room. -_-

Oh well. :)

Chicky75
09-09-14, 11:05 PM
Ugh, yeah, I hate most online classes. I took two (that I eventually dropped) that were basically just directed readings with set writing assignments either on discussion boards or full papers. I HATE forced discussion postings!

There are some that are better (but I think it's rare). I'm taking two right now that have set synchronous meetings each week and a lot of group work where we're encouraged to connect with the group in a variety of ways (google hangout, chats, email, etc). The weekly class meetings make a huge difference. It's an instructional technology program, though, so I would hope they'd really be up on the best way to do online classes!

Good luck with your classes!

Silvermoonstone
09-16-14, 01:00 AM
Evil! Evil! Burn it to the ground!!

Online classes must be avoided at all cost.

x2startermom
09-17-14, 12:56 AM
I'm taking an online course right now and I'm starting to regret it. Reason being I don't feel motivated to complete the work. My mother thought that physically going to class would help. The only thing is going to school as a kid and physically being in class didn't give me any motivation to complete the work. Had to repeat a grade because of it.
Now I'm finding out what I need to do to get a positive response.

lmg2474
09-17-14, 11:33 PM
I've taken all online college courses since fall of 2013 and it's worked wonderfully for me. It was tough at first, but once I learned to get organized and stay on top of all of the due dates for everything in each class, it got a lot easier. I keep a handwritten planner, online calendar, and post-it notes to remind me of upcoming due dates so there's no way I'll slip up.

I find that physical courses are much more distracting because of all of the people and noises. Working at my desk at home with music playing to drown out all other noise really, really helps. I definitely can't say this for everyone, but for me, online classes are the only means in which college is possible.

Sickle
09-18-14, 06:01 AM
I passed all of mine but it was because I always had that opinion that set off a bunch of arguments and I had to get in depth in discussion. They hated me in those classes. The Law classes were hell online. I did intro to Tax law and there was Tax Law I, II, III and Advanced Tax law after that. I was okay with Federal, Business, State and International law classes but no WAY was I taking all of those Tax Law classes.

rajdeepi
10-20-14, 09:20 AM
Hi there,
I am also doing online courses. They have their benefits. I got in touch with the disability office and they got me extensions to do the courses, longer exam writing times and so on. Text to speech is a life saver...I am looking for a support partner...anyone here would like to email or chat on a regular basis please msg me and I will send you my information.

Take care and best of luck.

rajdeepi
10-20-14, 09:32 AM
Hi there,
I have been in the same boat as you actually still am. I am looking for some support be it via email or Skype. Even an accountability partner would be great. It doesn't matter what gender you are and where you are from. Please msg me.

take care and best of luck

Stevuke79
10-21-14, 10:15 AM
I actually went back at 28 to finish my degree at University of Phoenix Online. Total side point - I'm self employed and consult for my clients in a very technical capacity and most who do this are well educated - I'm not so "educated" as much as knowledgeable (licensed and credentialed is all that actually matters). Once a client of mine saw that my degree was online - she flipped. :) I laughed. Go ahead and try to find my equal elsewhere. She didn't leave. (where would she go? .. I'm so pompous!) Anyway, I digressed ...

I think an accountability partner is a great idea for a lot of things, but particularly when in an online program.

Shlarin
10-21-14, 10:25 AM
FREE online classes (i.e. at Coursera) = Good. I love learning new skills although I may not always follow their schedules (and you need to turn assignments in on time if you want to receive one of their certificates.)

I also completed the CFA Charter in lieu of going back to school for an MBA.. it's basically a self-study program in Finance but they have you take several very difficult exams once a year after you've completed your studies.

One of the biggest disadvantages of online courses is that it's relatively difficult and unnatural to make connections with your fellow students.. networking is also a valuable perk of college in addition to learning and getting credentials. I'd definitely not try to skip out on the college experience and get your bachelor's degree online but once you've started working, these classes may make more sense if you're short on time.

midnightstar
10-21-14, 10:34 AM
Some online courses are good, I find I can concentrate better on the ones that give a proper qualification at the end of it, not one of the ones that you do for the sheer heck of it.

AnnaJ1988
10-28-14, 06:39 AM
I've recently enrolled for a Dual Diploma of Business and Management through an online program in Australia.

I am not sure if I can get a job with this but it definitely is helpful in enhancing my knowledge.