View Full Version : Ritalin and Movement Issues. Please help me.

MusiciansWish
08-31-14, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry if this is long, but please bear with me. . .

I'm having problems with shaking and tics. At least I think these are tics. I am unable to tell the difference between tics, twitches and spams.

These tics occur in my foot, my face, my fingers, sometimes my legs, and my head. They aren't repetitive or constant for instance they will occur only once or twice a day.

To go into more detail:
-My foot will twitch/tic twice and won't occur again until a day or two later
- In my face my mouth will twitch on one side a few times each day. Some times I can go a few days without these.
-My lower jaw will twitch/jerk/tic to the side or forward once or twice a day, and this will occur each day with a day or two with no kind of involuntary movement.
-Inside of my mouth my tongue with twitch a little, but this happens every so often.
-My head will slightly jerk to the side once a day, there have been times where I went days without these movements.
-My thumb and forefinger on my left hand will have involuntary movements. In certain positions my thumb will tremor , even when I am trying to hold something, such as a fork or something slender.
-Let's not forget my eyebrows will unintentionally raise. This happens once every so often.
-My lower lip will tremor sometimes
-Sometimes, whenever I smile my face will tremble....and I don't understand why.

At night a few of these symptoms get worse. My forefinger will spontaneously start tapping. It'll stop when I move it or start paying attention to it or at least am aware that my finger is tapping or twitching from side to side. At night, my left shoulder will shrug and my diaphragm will spasm, forcing a little air out, causing me to make some sort of noise. My legs will feel funny, and tremble a bit, but I can stand up and move them just fine.

Mind you, none of these symptoms cause any weakness, or cause me any problems with coordination, but it is embarrassing when it happens at work. Especially when I unintentionally raise my eyebrow or something on my face is trembling or twitching. The night symptoms don't occur every night, they occur once in awhile and usually I have to take supplements like Valerian or Chamomile to calm them down.

All these symptoms do stop whenever I move that part of the body that's bothering me, that's if they occur long enough. Sometimes I can feel them coming, like a strange sensation before they even happen, if this even helps.

I do take Methylphenidate 10mg, four times a day. Strangely enough, it helps calm these strange movements down and helps me get through the day without having to deal with some of them. Though it doesn't help my fingers.

If this helps, I have what looks like a ganglion cyst growing above my left wrist. It isn't painful, but it is large enough to be seen and felt.

I take magnesium, Omega 3, and Coenzyme Q 10. They all seem to help after taking them for awhile, but I still am wondering why these are still occurring. I've never had this before not even in high school. I did have problems with occasional tremors, but never anything to this extent. They are unnerving, but they're not severe. I tried looking up what this could be, but I got the worst conditions that you could find on the internet.

I really don't have a doctor, nor do I have the money to get tests. Does anyone here have these symptoms? or any advice?

--------------------------

I have been told by a user on another site that my symptoms resemble Tardive Dyskinesia? But what doesn't make sense to me is thatIf it was Tardive Dykinesia, why would any of my tics or tremors get better when I take Omega 3 or Coenzyme Q 10 or respond well to herbs like Valerian and Chamomile. Same with exercise? I have no tics or tremors after exercise and I can move really well.

I don't have facial grimacing, that and my movements aren't constant or repetitive. They're simply a sudden jolt or twitch, or a little shaking that occurs a few times a day (sometimes they skip a day or two). If I had it I wouldn't be able to control it, at least not this easily (I think). I can move my hands and feet normally, I can move my tongue normally and if get a tremor or two I can easily stop it by moving the body part affected. My balance is fine. I have had minor tremors since I was of high school age around....15 or 16.

I wouldn't be able to move so freely if I had Tardive Dyskinesia...at least I thought so. That and I haven't been on Methylphenidate long...that and I don't take a high dosage. Out of the 40mg that i am supposed to take, I take 10. That and I don't take it consistently. Couldn't severe anxiety cause these symptoms as well?

That and my symptoms wouldn't be improving like they are. All of it started a little before the time when I had a major anxiety attack. The anxiety attack made my symptoms worse...and they're slowly improving the more I take magnesium and exercise.Couldn't my symptoms also indicate tics? Like a Chronic tic disorder or Adult Onset Transient Tic Disorder?

------------------------

So those of you who take Ritalin, did any of you have these types of problems? What's your opinion on the matter? The fact that someone told me that I could possible have developed Tardive Dyskinesia from taking Ritalin, scares me and I really hope that I don't have that condition. I knew I should've stopped my meds when I had the chance. :(

Flory
08-31-14, 05:09 PM
A simple
Question ....on a scale of 1-10 how much does it bother you

Number 2: on a scale of 1-10 how beneficial is the meds to you

I get tics from my dex :( I have this eye thing that I do and a couple of other annoying things and can become a bit more vocal on it but for me it's mostly better than being without meds. Stimulants can bring about tics vocal or physical in people with a predisposition to Tourette's it might be that you've got a touch of it somewhere . It could also just be an intolerance to Ritalin and another med may work better for you.

I would get this checked over with your pdoc however

MusiciansWish
08-31-14, 05:19 PM
A simple
Question ....on a scale of 1-10 how much does it bother you

Number 2: on a scale of 1-10 how beneficial is the meds to you

I get tics from my dex :( I have this eye thing that I do and a couple of other annoying things and can become a bit more vocal on it but for me it's mostly better than being without meds. Stimulants can bring about tics vocal or physical in people with a predisposition to Tourette's it might be that you've got a touch of it somewhere . It could also just be an intolerance to Ritalin and another med may work better for you.

I would get this checked over with your pdoc however

To answer your questions....

On a scale of 1-10....my tics bother me..at a 2 or 3. I mean, they do scare me. I guess it's because it's the unknown and undiagnosed. That and They don't come about when I am doing things like, talking to my boyfriend and riding my bike or when I am ringing up groceries for customers at Wal-Mart.

For the second question...My medication is beneficial at a...hmmm...8 or 9. Mainly because Adderall and Strattera worked so much better and Ritalin has caused me more problems when it comes to worsening my Anxiety. It helps me focus, but it also zombifies me. I have no idea why my pdoc took me off of what worked wonders.

If I have an intolerance to Ritalin, I wonder why it waited until now to rear its ugly head. Strangely enough. My tremors have stopped in one hand and moved over to the other hand. Same with the twitches.

What is going on with my body?

I tried numerous times to get in contact with my pdoc...It's so hard to get an appointment with him. My anxiety's untreated and undiagnosed and now I have these problems. ugh.

I really want to go in there when I am having a bout of Anxiety, so I can actually show him that it's bothering me a lot.

peripatetic
08-31-14, 06:27 PM
If you can get a neurology consult that might both set your mind at ease and tell you the story of what's going on. As flory said, you need to evaluate the benefit/cost so to speak of staying on this particular medication, but I would encourage you to have it checked into further. There could be a switch in order, other medication to counter, or something entirely going on--tardive dyskinesia is potentially a side effect of certain medications, Ritalin *not* among them, and it takes years to develop and isn't so fickle in presenting this hand that hand etc. it's (TD) rarely a hand thing at all, frankly.

I definitely think anxiety is playing a role in making you fear worst case scenarios and a solid neurologist can assuage those fears and really needs to be contacted. Your prescribing physician should be able to help you find a neurologist (I'm unsure what you meant by you don't have a doctor...do you mean you don't have a general practitioner?). Also, anyone who tries to diagnose you online is full of **** and should generally be disregarded. Please don't take what some randoms on a site told you as reason to think you are suffering from tardive dyskinesia. That MUST be diagnosed professionally, which is impossible to do over the Internet by laypersons

Best to you

MusiciansWish
08-31-14, 06:42 PM
If you can get a neurology consult that might both set your mind at ease and tell you the story of what's going on. As flory said, you need to evaluate the benefit/cost so to speak of staying on this particular medication, but I would encourage you to have it checked into further. There could be a switch in order, other medication to counter, or something entirely going on--tardive dyskinesia is potentially a side effect of certain medications, Ritalin *not* among them, and it takes years to develop and isn't so fickle in presenting this hand that hand etc. it's (TD) rarely a hand thing at all, frankly.

I definitely think anxiety is playing a role in making you fear worst case scenarios and a solid neurologist can assuage those fears and really needs to be contacted. Your prescribing physician should be able to help you find a neurologist (I'm unsure what you meant by you don't have a doctor...do you mean you don't have a general practitioner?). Also, anyone who tries to diagnose you online is full of **** and should generally be disregarded. Please don't take what some randoms on a site told you as reason to think you are suffering from tardive dyskinesia. That MUST be diagnosed professionally, which is impossible to do over the Internet by laypersons

Best to you

You're right. I'm just so worried. I have been on ADHD medications for one, going on two, years. I've seen so many places that states that Adderall and Ritalin have the potential to cause TD. This has thrown me into so many severe anxiety attacks, I don't know if my body can keep it maintained anymore. My anxiety symptoms have progressively gotten worse. Now they resemble heart attacks.

Ugh. I'm thinking about calling my pdoc tomorrow and start asking questions and see if I can get an appointment. My anxiety is at the point where I don't think I can take it anymore. I think it would be best if I got placed back on Strattera, at least that covered both my anxiety and ADHD.

Kunga Dorji
08-31-14, 09:27 PM
Tardive dyskinesia is not a recognised side effect of Ritalin-- it is a recognised side effect of dopamine antagonists like haloperidol and other antipsychotic drugs. IE: It is a side effect of drugs that have the OPPOSITE effect of stimulants.

Tics are a recognised side effect, and will generally be worse the more tense you are or the worse your posture is (both conditions raise the resting level of tension in the muscle and leave it closer to the point of firing.

The information below is taken direct from the product information for Ritalin available for doctors:

Nervous System Disorders:
Very common: nervousness, insomnia, irritability. Common: tremor, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, dyskinesia. Very rare: convulsions, choreoathetoid movements, tics or exacerbation of existing tics and Tourette's syndrome, cerebrovascular disorders including vasculitis, cerebral haemorrhages and cerebrovascular accidents, reports of poorly documented neuroleptic malignant syndrome.

From a general point of view- nervousness is quite common- but usually a temporary reduction of dose and introduction of relaxation or mindfulness exercises can improve the situation hugely.

Exercise - especially high intensity exercise also helps anxiety.
John Ratey's book Spark has plenty of information on this. (Dr John Ratey is a psychiatrist who has ADHD and now focusses on exercise and mental health. He is the co-author of "Driven to Distraction".)

Equally, the use of non drug strategies such as these gives us more control and empowers us - and that in turn reduces the stress of being a passive consumer of medications.

MusiciansWish
09-01-14, 01:46 AM
Tardive dyskinesia is not a recognised side effect of Ritalin-- it is a recognised side effect of dopamine antagonists like haloperidol and other antipsychotic drugs. IE: It is a side effect of drugs that have the OPPOSITE effect of stimulants.

Tics are a recognised side effect, and will generally be worse the more tense you are or the worse your posture is (both conditions raise the resting level of tension in the muscle and leave it closer to the point of firing.

The information below is taken direct from the product information for Ritalin available for doctors:

From a general point of view- nervousness is quite common- but usually a temporary reduction of dose and introduction of relaxation or mindfulness exercises can improve the situation hugely.

Exercise - especially high intensity exercise also helps anxiety.
John Ratey's book Spark has plenty of information on this. (Dr John Ratey is a psychiatrist who has ADHD and now focusses on exercise and mental health. He is the co-author of "Driven to Distraction".)

Equally, the use of non drug strategies such as these gives us more control and empowers us - and that in turn reduces the stress of being a passive consumer of medications.

Maybe, I am just not able to handle my anxiety on my own. I've tried for so long, but it's gotten worse. It was easier when I had a therapist. I wish that I had more money...I think that I need a therapist.

I'm so confused right now. To be honest with you all.

Kunga Dorji
09-01-14, 03:41 AM
Maybe, I am just not able to handle my anxiety on my own. I've tried for so long, but it's gotten worse. It was easier when I had a therapist. I wish that I had more money...I think that I need a therapist.

I'm so confused right now. To be honest with you all.

It can be very difficult without good instruction.
In terms of handling anxiety probably mindfulness if well taught is the most economical form of therapy-- however many ADDers do need more comprehensive support- and that is not cheap.

MusiciansWish
09-01-14, 02:05 PM
It can be very difficult without good instruction.
In terms of handling anxiety probably mindfulness if well taught is the most economical form of therapy-- however many ADDers do need more comprehensive support- and that is not cheap.

I hate the fact that it's so costly.

Kunga Dorji
09-03-14, 05:01 PM
I hate the fact that it's so costly.

It is difficult-- but the fact is that it takes man decades of intense training to become good at that kind of work--and equally the work is so intense that most people who do it need to do relatively limited working hours.

MusiciansWish
09-05-14, 03:56 PM
It is difficult-- but the fact is that it takes man decades of intense training to become good at that kind of work--and equally the work is so intense that most people who do it need to do relatively limited working hours.

Well, upside is that I scheduled an appointment with my psychiatrist. I go in october. So, it'll be a start... Problem is that I don't know what to say to get him to actually pay attention to the fact that I need my anxiety worked on and what not.

He'll ask about my ritalin and my ADHD, but my anxiety he just doesn't pay it any mind. I guess it's because when I took the test for ADHD...the part about general anxiety symptoms showed that I "have the normal amount of anxiety for someone my age"....which I thought was a load of phooey. Because my anxiety got worse....and worse...and got to a point where I can't handle it as well no matter what I do. Whether it be writing my problems down, distracting myself, try breathing deeply and calming myself, exercise, and attempting to talk to people.

It's crazy.

Kunga Dorji
09-05-14, 07:18 PM
Well, upside is that I scheduled an appointment with my psychiatrist. I go in october. So, it'll be a start... Problem is that I don't know what to say to get him to actually pay attention to the fact that I need my anxiety worked on and what not.

He'll ask about my ritalin and my ADHD, but my anxiety he just doesn't pay it any mind. I guess it's because when I took the test for ADHD...the part about general anxiety symptoms showed that I "have the normal amount of anxiety for someone my age"....which I thought was a load of phooey. Because my anxiety got worse....and worse...and got to a point where I can't handle it as well no matter what I do. Whether it be writing my problems down, distracting myself, try breathing deeply and calming myself, exercise, and attempting to talk to people.

It's crazy.

In any one year - 25% of the population of the US falls within diagnostic criteria for a DSM "diagnosis"-- so in that setting- being anxious is normal!

ie - in the current state of affairs it might be the normal state of affairs to have anxiety. However- just because it is statistically normal- does not mean it is a healthy or desirable state of affairs.

A lot of doctors though are not deep enough thinkers to wrap their heads around that one.

MusiciansWish
09-06-14, 12:52 AM
In any one year - 25% of the population of the US falls within diagnostic criteria for a DSM "diagnosis"-- so in that setting- being anxious is normal!

ie - in the current state of affairs it might be the normal state of affairs to have anxiety. However- just because it is statistically normal- does not mean it is a healthy or desirable state of affairs.

A lot of doctors though are not deep enough thinkers to wrap their heads around that one.

Wait.....I'm not going to lie and say that I understood that, because I didn't. I don't exactly understand entirely what you put.

So are you saying that my psychiatrist is just going to find my worsening anxiety normal?

I certainly don't find it normal....Many of my friends and significant other described my anxiety as severe and obsessive. If that doesn't ring some bells from my shrink then I am at a loss for words.

Kunga Dorji
09-06-14, 02:47 AM
Wait.....I'm not going to lie and say that I understood that, because I didn't. I don't exactly understand entirely what you put.

So are you saying that my psychiatrist is just going to find my worsening anxiety normal?

I certainly don't find it normal....Many of my friends and significant other described my anxiety as severe and obsessive. If that doesn't ring some bells from my shrink then I am at a loss for words.

I couldn't possibly comment on what your doctor might think- no direct knowledge.

However- if a questionnaire shows "you have the normal amount of anxiety for your age" and you find your anxiety symptoms disabling-- maybe that implies that our whole society has got so dysfunctional that disabling anxiety is now the norm. That would fit with current social trends which show a major escalation of mental illness in Western nations- especially in the young, and especially in the USA.

Equally- it is possible to under respond to a lot of these questionnaires- and understate your symptoms-- simply because they are normal to you.

I always used to think the idea of ADHD was a bit odd- because it sounded so much like me--and I was working in a profession and had done very well at school.

So - perspective can be skewed by experience.

Yo need to stress that you find the symptoms disabling and distressing- and that way the message will get through.

MusiciansWish
09-06-14, 02:28 PM
I couldn't possibly comment on what your doctor might think- no direct knowledge.

However- if a questionnaire shows "you have the normal amount of anxiety for your age" and you find your anxiety symptoms disabling-- maybe that implies that our whole society has got so dysfunctional that disabling anxiety is now the norm. That would fit with current social trends which show a major escalation of mental illness in Western nations- especially in the young, and especially in the USA.

Equally- it is possible to under respond to a lot of these questionnaires- and understate your symptoms-- simply because they are normal to you.

I always used to think the idea of ADHD was a bit odd- because it sounded so much like me--and I was working in a profession and had done very well at school.

So - perspective can be skewed by experience.

Yo need to stress that you find the symptoms disabling and distressing- and that way the message will get through.

Ohhhhhh...That makes sense. I found ADHD to be a bit odd of a diagnosis as well. I did well in school...well up until college and that's when my ADHD symptoms got even worse. Then I finally gave in and attempted to get help.

My anxiety symptoms have always been bad. Even in high school, I would have symptoms so bad that when I did go through some sort of anxiety attack, I would blackout. Encounter something that triggered my anxiety and my brain would just say, "I'm out!" and next thing you know i'm struggling to keep from hitting the floor.

That's far from normal...and I know it is. Screw what society thinks, I need help. . .and I know that what I am experiencing isn't normal. Though I do believe I didn't respond the way I should've. I was afraid of what they would do to me if I told the proctor how intense my anxiety gets.

Kunga Dorji
09-07-14, 10:51 PM
Ohhhhhh...That makes sense. I found ADHD to be a bit odd of a diagnosis as well. I did well in school...well up until college and that's when my ADHD symptoms got even worse. Then I finally gave in and attempted to get help.

My anxiety symptoms have always been bad. Even in high school, I would have symptoms so bad that when I did go through some sort of anxiety attack, I would blackout. Encounter something that triggered my anxiety and my brain would just say, "I'm out!" and next thing you know i'm struggling to keep from hitting the floor.

That's far from normal...and I know it is. Screw what society thinks, I need help. . .and I know that what I am experiencing isn't normal. Though I do believe I didn't respond the way I should've. I was afraid of what they would do to me if I told the proctor how intense my anxiety gets.

These things can be tricky.
Although I was anxious only some of the time- my body used to be in a continuous state of stress and overarousal.

It was so persistent that it was the normal way of being- and hence almost impossible to see.

So- at that time unless i was questioned in a very thorough way, I suspect that nobody could have identified the problem in me.

It has taken some persistent work with meditation and relaxation techniques to beat it-- but it can be done and nowadays I am far less anxious or stressed than I used to be.

MusiciansWish
09-08-14, 11:22 PM
These things can be tricky.
Although I was anxious only some of the time- my body used to be in a continuous state of stress and overarousal.

It was so persistent that it was the normal way of being- and hence almost impossible to see.

So- at that time unless i was questioned in a very thorough way, I suspect that nobody could have identified the problem in me.

It has taken some persistent work with meditation and relaxation techniques to beat it-- but it can be done and nowadays I am far less anxious or stressed than I used to be.

Right....Right. *sigh* Well, I have a whole month to come up with a detailed way to present my problems to my shrink. Fifteen minutes doesn't seem to be enough time to cover everything. Hmmmmmmm. But I understand what you mean. My shrink putting forth the time and effort to help me is what I am most concerned with. . .He did when we were trying to get my ADHD diagnosed (I'm guessing it's because of the fact that my counselor made a referral.)

DECENT07
09-29-14, 09:00 PM
Well I can offer you this much; the "tics" surely are not related to Tardive Dyskenisia. I say this because I've been unfortunate enough to have TD. And it was drug induced TD from Haldol. My ex's evil sister gave me what was "supposed" to be Valium, I being ignorantly trusting took her word for it at the time.. It didn't effect me as I remember Valium of the past but I still felt "something". The sister was gone and the ex and I walked to the store for a pizza.

It wasn't a far walk but I started feeling strange and walking was taking so much effort, as if my feet didn't work the way I wanted them to. I figured this was a weird side effect that would go away, I went to bed not long after eating. The next day I still didn't feel right, it was hard to pin point what was wrong, but I was still walking not right and thought I had some kind of nerve damage or something.

I had off work that day and the ex went to her job and I just hung at home hoping to feel normal eventually. I was bored, I was drinking, tried reading my book, felt just weird. I called my dad at some point just for something to do and take my mind off the weirdness. Now I realized that my talking was "off", I sounded like I was chewing my tongue and had to get off the phone because to me it was obvious.

I was able to take a nap in the evening and when I woke up I felt ok, finally the side effect was wearing off! Well an hour or so later it started creeping back and was more intense it seemed now. I knew something was very wrong with me. By the time my gf came home I was on the Internet and found the drug I took and it's side effects. And I was terrified. By now I could barely function, I told her she needs to drive me to the ER. I could hardly walk and during the drive the TD was kicking in full force. I couldn't keep my tongue in my mouth, couldn't control my muscles. My head wanted to turn as far right as possible, the pain of fighting it was excruciating.

At the hospital I was barely able to tell the nurse what I was there for I just said "look at me!" I brought one of the pills with so they knew. Basically it was an allergic reaction I was having. When you go to the hospital they put you in a bed and make you WAIT forever for treatment. I didn't know if they could fix me even. It was terrifying, laying there like a total retard with no control and my gf didn't know what to do.. Eventually they gave me a high dose injection of Benadryl. Soon after I was normal again. Never take a drug unless you're SURE of what it is.

That TD experience was one of the scariest things to ever happen to me. I would rather die then live in that state permanently.. So if you have TD, trust me, you'll know it, and it sucks bigtime!

As for the anxiety, just tell the doc that you've been experiencing panic attacks. If you're still not taken seriously then you need a new doc. For GAD I was first put on BuSpar, it kinda helps but not really, for me anyway. A benzo is better suited to treat anxiety. If given the choice, take a longer acting benzo over a fast one like Xanax. The fast acting ones are to easy to abuse and become addicted. The LAST thing you want is benzo addiction. Clonazepam works great for me, it has a long half life and you don't need it everyday, so tolerance can be kept in check but it'll still remain therapeutic and reduce anxiety.

Kunga Dorji
09-30-14, 05:47 AM
Well I can offer you this much; the "tics" surely are not related to Tardive Dyskenisia. I say this because I've been unfortunate enough to have TD. And it was drug induced TD from Haldol. My ex's evil sister gave me what was "supposed" to be Valium, I being ignorantly trusting took her word for it at the time.. It didn't effect me as I remember Valium of the past but I still felt "something". The sister was gone and the ex and I walked to the store for a pizza.

It wasn't a far walk but I started feeling strange and walking was taking so much effort, as if my feet didn't work the way I wanted them to. I figured this was a weird side effect that would go away, I went to bed not long after eating. The next day I still didn't feel right, it was hard to pin point what was wrong, but I was still walking not right and thought I had some kind of nerve damage or something.

I had off work that day and the ex went to her job and I just hung at home hoping to feel normal eventually. I was bored, I was drinking, tried reading my book, felt just weird. I called my dad at some point just for something to do and take my mind off the weirdness. Now I realized that my talking was "off", I sounded like I was chewing my tongue and had to get off the phone because to me it was obvious.

I was able to take a nap in the evening and when I woke up I felt ok, finally the side effect was wearing off! Well an hour or so later it started creeping back and was more intense it seemed now. I knew something was very wrong with me. By the time my gf came home I was on the Internet and found the drug I took and it's side effects. And I was terrified. By now I could barely function, I told her she needs to drive me to the ER. I could hardly walk and during the drive the TD was kicking in full force. I couldn't keep my tongue in my mouth, couldn't control my muscles. My head wanted to turn as far right as possible, the pain of fighting it was excruciating.

At the hospital I was barely able to tell the nurse what I was there for I just said "look at me!" I brought one of the pills with so they knew. Basically it was an allergic reaction I was having. When you go to the hospital they put you in a bed and make you WAIT forever for treatment. I didn't know if they could fix me even. It was terrifying, laying there like a total retard with no control and my gf didn't know what to do.. Eventually they gave me a high dose injection of Benadryl. Soon after I was normal again. Never take a drug unless you're SURE of what it is.

That TD experience was one of the scariest things to ever happen to me. I would rather die then live in that state permanently.. So if you have TD, trust me, you'll know it, and it sucks bigtime!

As for the anxiety, just tell the doc that you've been experiencing panic attacks. If you're still not taken seriously then you need a new doc. For GAD I was first put on BuSpar, it kinda helps but not really, for me anyway. A benzo is better suited to treat anxiety. If given the choice, take a longer acting benzo over a fast one like Xanax. The fast acting ones are to easy to abuse and become addicted. The LAST thing you want is benzo addiction. Clonazepam works great for me, it has a long half life and you don't need it everyday, so tolerance can be kept in check but it'll still remain therapeutic and reduce anxiety.

Strictly speaking that was an oculogyric crisis.

I have seen a couple of these-- they usually are pretty frightening.

Tardive dyskinesia comes on after years of use of antipsychotic drugs and once it starts it lasts for years or is permanent.

Interesting that benadryl (diphenhydramine) was used. The commonest agent used is benztropine- (Cogentin).

DECENT07
10-01-14, 01:47 AM
Strictly speaking that was an oculogyric crisis.

I have seen a couple of these-- they usually are pretty frightening.

Tardive dyskinesia comes on after years of use of antipsychotic drugs and once it starts it lasts for years or is permanent.

Interesting that benadryl (diphenhydramine) was used. The commonest agent used is benztropine- (Cogentin).

"Oculogyric crisis (OGC) is the name of a dystonic reaction to certain drugs or medical conditions characterized by a prolonged involuntary upward deviation of the eyes. The term "oculogyric" refers to rotating of eyeballs,[1] but several other responses are associated with the crisis. Epilepsy can manifest as oculogyric seizures, also called versive seizures.[2]"

Had to look that one up lol.. No, I had no problems with my eyes whatsoever. The tongue protrusion and neck thing came and went, like in waves, it was weird. But my whole body was like this, it's like you're muscles are fighting against you. Walking was near impossible because I couldn't control what my legs and feet wanted to do. It took a full day for it to get really bad to where I was in need of medical attention.

The doctor that was treating me said he used to work in another state at a much bigger city hospital and had seen this many times. He said as bad as I was he'd seen much worse. You'd have drug addicts have this reaction and afraid to seek medical treatment as long as they could bear. So they'd come in after days of being in that kind of state, and it wasn't pretty. He said that like me, it was a common allergic reaction from taking Haldol. I don't know why the Benadryl was used, but if I'd have known this I'd have downed a bunch of pills rather then a 500 dollar hospital bill haha. My discharge paper did say "drug induced tardive dyskinesia". I know that it is mostly seen in older patients that are on these drugs long term.

Also, on another note.. I had seen a psychiatrist and he had access to my medical info. He went over my "allergies" and said that "there is no way possible you had TD, if so you'd still have it now as it's irreversible.." Then he also brought up my allergy to Trazadone, which I was also hospitalized for when it gave me priapism. He said "there is no way that would happen on Trazadone.." Basically calling me a liar, tho he's got my records in front of him! I lived it dude, how dare you! Some doctors just really **** me off grrr!

Jenn1202
10-03-14, 01:11 AM
I've been getting these strange muscle spasms all over my body for the past couple of years. I really hate them, they're SO ANNOYING! My PCP says muscle spasms can be caused by electrolyte imbalances. I recently had my electrolytes checked and my magnesium is borderline low. I started taking magnesium supplements a few tays ago, I really hope it helps. How much magnesium do you take? Have you told your primary care doctor about this problem? Have you had your electrolytes checked since you started getting spasms/tics/tremors (including magnesium)?

I was on Ritalin for years before my muscles started twitching and I recently switched to Adderall and Dex, but my muscles still twitch sometimes. I don't think Ritalin causes this, but stimulants do seem to make the twitching worse. Did your tics start after you started taking Ritalin? Have you tried taking a few days or weeks off Ritalin just to see if your tics get better?

Also, you may want to go get your cyst checked out, just to make sure ...

Kunga Dorji
10-03-14, 05:40 PM
"Oculogyric crisis (OGC) is the name of a dystonic reaction to certain drugs or medical conditions characterized by a prolonged involuntary upward deviation of the eyes. The term "oculogyric" refers to rotating of eyeballs,[1] but several other responses are associated with the crisis. Epilepsy can manifest as oculogyric seizures, also called versive seizures.[2]"

Had to look that one up lol.. No, I had no problems with my eyes whatsoever. The tongue protrusion and neck thing came and went, like in waves, it was weird. But my whole body was like this, it's like you're muscles are fighting against you. Walking was near impossible because I couldn't control what my legs and feet wanted to do. It took a full day for it to get really bad to where I was in need of medical attention.

The doctor that was treating me said he used to work in another state at a much bigger city hospital and had seen this many times. He said as bad as I was he'd seen much worse. You'd have drug addicts have this reaction and afraid to seek medical treatment as long as they could bear. So they'd come in after days of being in that kind of state, and it wasn't pretty. He said that like me, it was a common allergic reaction from taking Haldol. I don't know why the Benadryl was used, but if I'd have known this I'd have downed a bunch of pills rather then a 500 dollar hospital bill haha. My discharge paper did say "drug induced tardive dyskinesia". I know that it is mostly seen in older patients that are on these drugs long term.

Also, on another note.. I had seen a psychiatrist and he had access to my medical info. He went over my "allergies" and said that "there is no way possible you had TD, if so you'd still have it now as it's irreversible.." Then he also brought up my allergy to Trazadone, which I was also hospitalized for when it gave me priapism. He said "there is no way that would happen on Trazadone.." Basically calling me a liar, tho he's got my records in front of him! I lived it dude, how dare you! Some doctors just really **** me off grrr!

Have a look on wikipedia-- it actually gives a good definition of both tardive dyskinesia and oculogyric crisis and a good summary of their time duration and time course and treatment.
The time course, the duration, the treatability and the agent chosen to treat are all wrong for tardive dyskinesia. i would suggest that you had a variant of oculogyric crisis in which the eye symptoms were less prominent than usual. These sorts of variations do occur from individual to individual.

The last case of tardive dyskinesia I saw was in 1988. The poor woman was sitting in a wheelchair repetitively sticking her tongue in and out as far as she could- and she had been doing it for years- secondary to prochlorperazine for chronic nausea. That is pretty much a textbook case.

MusiciansWish
10-05-14, 05:47 PM
I've been getting these strange muscle spasms all over my body for the past couple of years. I really hate them, they're SO ANNOYING! My PCP says muscle spasms can be caused by electrolyte imbalances. I recently had my electrolytes checked and my magnesium is borderline low. I started taking magnesium supplements a few tays ago, I really hope it helps. How much magnesium do you take? Have you told your primary care doctor about this problem? Have you had your electrolytes checked since you started getting spasms/tics/tremors (including magnesium)?

I was on Ritalin for years before my muscles started twitching and I recently switched to Adderall and Dex, but my muscles still twitch sometimes. I don't think Ritalin causes this, but stimulants do seem to make the twitching worse. Did your tics start after you started taking Ritalin? Have you tried taking a few days or weeks off Ritalin just to see if your tics get better?

Also, you may want to go get your cyst checked out, just to make sure ...

I take...Let me think. I take 400 mg of magnesium. I don't have a pcp. I've been trying to find one, but the ones around here do not have a good reputation. I have never had any of those things checked mainly because I never had the money for those tests. I am going to my psychiatrist this upcoming thursday, so I'm going to see what he tells me. I am hoping to switch back to adderall, mainly because I did a LOT better on it. I never had major problems with twitching and jittering and anxiety like I do on Ritalin. The only reason my doctor took me off of it is because I became highly irritable on it. I've had problems with trembling since high school. As for the tics, I would get some here and there, but they were easily ignorable back then as opposed to now.

I've tried stopping my ritalin for awhile, but it really didn't help. It was as if that major anxiety attack I had put my nerves on the fritz. I took omega 3-6-9, Coenzyme Q 10, magnesium, and some other stuff and it still took about a month for the symptoms to resolve. I'm fine now, but i'm still have a few twitches here and there. Like my head twitches a little to the right spontaneously and repeatedly, and my index finger will twitch, my leg, and my mouth, but nothing drastic. Sure, I start to worry because I think other people have seen it, but nothing extreme.

MusiciansWish
10-05-14, 05:59 PM

That is something crazy. Goodness. Your experience gave me a good idea of how it starts off. I'm glad that you're doing better though.

I really need to look into getting my anxiety checked. I'm going through a stage of...you know that...um. Strong sense of impending doom? I know what triggered it, and it's slowly going away, it's just affecting me in the worst way possible.

Ever since a person that I was in class with, four years ago, died in a car wreck as well as another girl that I talked to who was friends with one of my friends died in an accident, i've had this impending sense of doom. As if that I am going to get into a car accident in the near future. I had the reassure myself multiple times that I am a safe driver and I am a good driver that knows what she's doing, I still get surreal, unreal, feelings. I feel as if something bad is going to happen. Not to mention...I'm fine behind the wheel, but when I am sitting here behind the computer...I get those weird thoughts. It's affected me in such a way that whenever I see someone driving going around a curve in the opposite lane, I want to avoid that person as much as possible and drive on the grass. Or I quickly move my car as if I am going on the defensive.

I am starting to remember that I had these stupid feelings...the same ones...when I was first starting to learn how to drive. One of my friends passed away in a three car pile up and that made me into a nervous wreck. I was afraid to even get my permit.

I hate anxiety....and I know it's going to be hard to tell my psychiatrist when I go in to see him this week.

MusiciansWish
10-11-14, 12:44 AM
Here's an update. I went to the psychiatrist and informed him about my anxiety issues and he prescribed Zoloft. I'm doing well on it. Second day and my side effects are very. very. mild...Though there is this one particular side effect that's been bugging me.