View Full Version : The connections game

SB_UK
09-01-14, 10:47 AM
Is there a connection ?

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/sep/01/surgeons-doctors-cause-most-accidents-insurance

and

Russell Barkley
ADDers at far greater likelihood of causing car accidents

Naturally the connection could be bogus.

Personally though - I think we'll see that there's something there here.

SB_UK
09-01-14, 10:55 AM
Why ?
ADDers enriched amongst medical workers ?

- enhanced systematizing + empathizing ie not like maths/computing where systematizing will get you there
- urge to do something worthwhile (ie to find something rewarding - ADDers need reward and it's to be believed that it might come once one begins 'saving lives') - we don't realise that medicine (the establishment) is the problem (and that prevention is the cure) until we're much further on.

That's enough to twist even the least cooked noodle.

To reach an awareness that you are the problem and not the cure -
how to kick a good reward system (to help people) when it's down.

Lunacie
09-01-14, 12:18 PM
Are you positing that a lot of people with ADHD go into the medical profession?

SB_UK
09-01-14, 01:05 PM
Are you positing that a lot of people with ADHD go into the medical profession?

- that basic idea - health care - alleviation of suffering.
Plays to our reward system until we see that medical profession people aren't having the impact our reward system requires.

Also high rates of self-medication.
Premature death.

Lots of connections between ADHD and the motivation to alleviate suffering.

ruby.149.42
09-03-14, 11:02 PM
This is interesting. I'd love to see some sort of metric on career choices of ADHD. Someone must have done a poll on here over the years?

What I find really interesting with this one is that it gives some insight (I think) into something that's been really bugging me for the last few years: I heard Felice Jacka talk at a conference maybe 18 months ago, she's a depression and anxiety epidemiologist. She was talking about a study she did examining relationship between red meat consumption and anxiety and depression in adult women and found quite a strong connection. She put this forward at the conference as showing that we need to feed meat to our girls as it "immunises" against later MH problems. This infuriated me seriously at the time because I've been vegetarian for decades and you can't legimately draw those conclusions from that data at all. What I've always felt is that those with a more sensitive nature are less likely to eat meat because they think/care about it and those same people are more prone to depression/anxiety with this sensitivity.

Both of these studies very interesting uses of data.

SB_UK
09-09-14, 09:24 AM
This is interesting. I'd love to see some sort of metric on career choices of ADHD. Someone must have done a poll on here over the years?

What I find really interesting with this one is that it gives some insight (I think) into something that's been really bugging me for the last few years: I heard Felice Jacka talk at a conference maybe 18 months ago, she's a depression and anxiety epidemiologist. She was talking about a study she did examining relationship between red meat consumption and anxiety and depression in adult women and found quite a strong connection. She put this forward at the conference as showing that we need to feed meat to our girls as it "immunises" against later MH problems. This infuriated me seriously at the time because I've been vegetarian for decades and you can't legimately draw those conclusions from that data at all. What I've always felt is that those with a more sensitive nature are less likely to eat meat because they think/care about it and those same people are more prone to depression/anxiety with this sensitivity.

For sure - I'd suggest that those prone to anxiety/depression don't eat meat because it makes us/them feel EVEN worse about ourselves.

There's no causal relationship there - eating meat 'd make the sensitive even more anxious/depressed.

Correlation vs Causation is a real big 'one' here.

Fuzzy12
09-09-14, 09:33 AM

what was her evidence except for the rather vague link? Is there a link between lack of iron, proteins or whatever else red meat has and depression? Vit K12?

im a vegetarian because i like animals and don't see them as food so your theory sounds plausible to me.

ruby.149.42
09-10-14, 07:40 AM
Can't remember and don't have the full study Fuzzy. Here's a link you can follow up on: http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/stories/2012/03/20/women-should-eat-red-meat