View Full Version : Baffled

BellaVita
09-01-14, 06:53 PM
Today earlier I had a good amount of kale salad, and it gave me energy and made me feel a bit better.

I noticed later throughout day my energy/strength levels, and anxiety and depression seemed much less.

Then later today, I ate MORE kale salad and almost instantly my anxiety evaporated and depression lifted left almost euphoric feeling.

Also whenever I eat kale I can see colors again (for me colors are always dull) and my vision more clear and vivid.

I wonder why this happened? In the past with kale I've had similar results with the energy, better happy mood, and always the vision thing.

Anyone know about these sorts of things if kale has a special effect on the body (blood sugar) or certain vitamins?

I also feel like I wish I could feel the effects of kale ALL the time and feel like I'm missing out on feeling better. :( (I can't just eat kale 24/7)

I'm seriously baffled because it's ONLY ever ever ever happened with kale.

Thanks!

PS the vision and mood effects of kale don't last very long but enough for me to notice....maybe like an hour.

Gilthranon
09-01-14, 07:49 PM
Ok my self esteem is lower than usual. Whenever I'm with people I keep doubting myself until extreme points where I prefer isolating or detaching myself from anyone. Sounds bad, it's okay, nothing I can't handle but I need this. Along with sleep and some positive social experiences. Kale. Good. Tomorrow's a new day. Let's do this.

BellaVita
09-01-14, 07:53 PM
Okay so eating more NOW and BOOM I feel this lift of anxiety, like I've never experienced this lift before except for with kale, and increased energy, almost euphoria,

Soooooooooo weird

Gilthranon
09-01-14, 07:54 PM
Sure y'ain't confusing it with an erection ? :D

btw It's very good ye feel better - on the subject, what can be the cause of extreme low energies ?

BellaVita
09-01-14, 07:54 PM
Ok my self esteem is lower than usual. Whenever I'm with people I keep doubting myself until extreme points where I prefer isolating or detaching myself from anyone. Sounds bad, it's okay, nothing I can't handle but I need this. Along with sleep and some positive social experiences. Kale. Good. Tomorrow's a new day. Let's do this.

Yeah you should definitely get some kale!

stef
09-01-14, 08:52 PM
I thought kale was just a fad, maybe not!

Flory
09-01-14, 09:00 PM
It's pretty gross in a juice :( but it's good to find foods that make you feel nice inside :D :D

Greyhound1
09-01-14, 09:50 PM
Bella,
I found this on the benefits of Kale. That's awesome it works so well for you.

9 Health Benefits of Kale

Published on February 28, 2011

Kale is not only one of the more beautiful cruciferous vegetables, but it also one of the most nutritious. Here are nine health benefits of kale:

Diet and Digestion
One cup of kale has only 36 calories and zero grams of fat, which makes it a great diet aid. Furthermore, one cup contains nearly 20% of the RDA of dietary fiber, which promotes regular digestion, prevents constipation, lowers blood sugar and curbs overeating. Finally, kale contains the glucosinolate isothiocyanate (ITC) that fights the formation of H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori), a bacterial growth in the stomach lining that can lead to gastric cancer.

Antioxidants
Kale is a superstar in the arena of carotenoids and flavonoids, two powerful antioxidants that protect our cells from free radicals that cause oxidative stress. The key flavonoids kaempferol and quercitin (not to dismiss the 45 other distinctive flavonoids in kale) have also been shown to specifically fight against the formation of cancerous cells. With the addition of high doses of well-known antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin A, and manganese, kale is certainly a smart choice in the battle against cellular oxidation.

Anti-Inflammatory
One cup of kale provides about 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids that helps regulate the body's inflammatory process. A megadose of vitamin K further aids to fight against excessive inflammatory-related problems, such as arthritis, autoimmune disorders, and asthma.

Cancer
Not only do kale's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities work together to prevent and even combat cancer, a healthy diet of kale also provides glucosinolates, which have been shown to prevent colon, breast, bladder, prostate, ovarian cancers, as well as gastric cancer.

Cardiovascular Support
The high fiber content of kale lowers our cholesterol by binding with bile acids that the liver produces from cholesterol for digesting fat. Because many of these bile acids are coupled with fiber, the liver is charged with producing more bile acid to digest fat, and therefore requires more cholesterol to so, ultimately lowering the amount of cholesterol within our bodies.

Detox
The isothiocyanates (ITC) from glucosinolates found in kale aid in both phases I and II of the body's detoxification process. The high sulfur content of kale has further been shown essential for phase II of detoxification.

Vitamin K
Kale provides a whopping dose of vitamin K (providing 1327% of the RDA in one cup), which is necessary for the synthesis of osteocalcin, a protein that strengthens the composition of our bones. Vitamin K also prevents calcium build-up in our tissue that can lead to atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease and stroke. Finally, vitamin K is essential for synthesizing sphingolipid, the fat needed to maintain the myelin sheath around our nerves, and therefore our nervous system as a whole.

Vitamin A
With over 192% of the RDA of vitamin A, one cup of kale is an effective antioxidant, boosts immunity, maintains healthy bones and teeth, prevents urinary stones, and is essential to our reproductive organs.

Vitamin C
Vitamin C, which one cup of kale heartily provides (over 88% of our RDA), is not only a powerful antioxidant, but also lowers blood pressure, ensures a healthy immune system, and fights against age-related ocular diseases, such as cataracts and macular degeneration.

dvdnvwls
09-01-14, 10:41 PM
Shot in the dark: vitamin K, myelin, optic nerve???

BellaVita
09-01-14, 10:42 PM
Okay the euphoria thing happened again this time not until after I ate a bunch of vegan chocolate that got fed to me cuz I was almost passing out

This makes no sense

Also had a fever jump up to almost 101

I'm still shaky sorta feel like blacking out and brain feels euphoria (only thing I can describe)

I haven't had drugs or anything this is just the result of kale and then now the chocolate

But yeah shaking lots especially

Blood sugar issue? this came out of nowhere

I do have a friend here helping me and if things get worse I will go to the Emergency Room.

Cheers and no worries :)

BellaVita
09-01-14, 10:47 PM
btw It's very good ye feel better - on the subject, what can be the cause of extreme low energies ?

Depends on each person.

It could be - B12 deficiency, iron deficiency, certain neurobiological disorders, fibromyalgia, low blood sugar, poor quality sleep/not enough, dehydration.

Those are what came off top of my head.

PS - slowly starting to feel a bit better guys than the previous post

Unmanagable
09-02-14, 01:28 AM
I've never felt euphoric from eating it, specifically, but I can relate to all the feel good stuff as a result of eating healthier food like that. Once my body got used to being nurtured with it, it violently rejects the other stuff. I listen more to my body now than ever.

One of my favorite ways to eat kale is in a smoothie, blended with frozen banana, flax seed, a spoonful of organic peanut butter, a tsp. of organic cocoa, filtered water, and coconut milk.

Chop kale and add to scrambled eggs in the morning, along with a little sweet onion, sweet pepper, and smoked gouda cheese. Good stuff!!

Kale chips are so damn good!! Here's some good tips on learning how to make them:
http://foodess.com/3414-salt-vinegar-kale-chips.html

Switch your greens around and try a variety. Collard greens are a favorite of mine to use as a sandwich wrap in place of bread. Spinach, dandelion greens, mustard greens (they're kind of spicy), romaine lettuce, swiss chard, etc. Now I want a big ol' salad. Mmmmmmm................

sushigirl
12-03-14, 11:09 AM
2 weeks ago, I bought a Nutri Bullet and every morning I put the following ingredients in it (always 50/50 with vegetables and fruits, and always raw):

- Either Kale or spinach
- blueberries
- strawberries
- bananas
- ground flax seed or chia
- hemp seed (so full of magnesium)
- pumpkin seed

Omg! I never felt this energized in my whole life! I never have a low moment in the day. The vegetables and fruits are necessary, but the grains is what makes me go all day long!

I feel a whole lot better, happier, more concentration, my skin looks better also!

Jongeman
01-15-15, 03:21 PM
Dudes & dudettes,

Because of this post and because of a recipe I received I started to make green smoothies with fruit and spinach and kale.

But I felt horrible!

Did some research. You shouldn't eat spinach and kale (especially kale) too much when raw!

They contain an elements called isothiocyanates which block tyroid function, and they give you kidney stones if you eat them raw for a long time.
(http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=site&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mindbodygreen.com%2F0-13685%2Fis-raw-kale-good-for-you.html)
(http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=site&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com%2 Fthink-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again%2F)

If you really feel good after eating it, do continue (I for one felt horrible, very tired and sluggish). All our bodies work slightly different. But be carefull or don't overdo it. Despite they are vegetables, our cultures started to cook them for a reason apparently ^_^

Peace!

Hathor
01-15-15, 08:25 PM
Vitamin A is needed by the retina of the eye in the form of retinal, which combines with protein opsin to form rhodopsin, the light-absorbing molecule[3] necessary for both low-light (scotopic vision) and color vision.[4]

Vitamin A is found naturally in many foods:

cod liver oil (30000 μg)
liver (turkey) (8058 μg 895%)
liver (beef, pork, fish) (6500 μg 722%)
liver (chicken) (3296 μg 366%)
dandelion greens (5588 IU 112%)[18]
sweet potato (961 μg 107%)
carrot (835 μg 93%)
broccoli leaf (800 μg 89%) – According to USDA database, broccoli florets have much less.[19]
broccoli florets (31 μg 3%)
butter (684 μg 76%)
kale (681 μg 76%)
spinach (469 μg 52%)

I eat a pound or 2 of carrots a day, but I want to try kale for the other benefits mentioned, to see if I find any .