View Full Version : preoccupation with death

Conman
09-02-14, 01:12 PM
this has especially been a problem for me and worse lately, but when you get depressed do you just get to a point where when youre not focused on something (like spacing out or when trying to fall asleep) you become proccupied with your own death?

these thoughts arent limited to just suicidal thoughts or ideation (altho those have happened to me more lately as well). jsut thoughts of you dying, thru whatever possible or improbable means.

if so, who knows how to counteract said thoughts before they escalate into dominating your mind and maybe worse things happening?

willow129
09-02-14, 01:35 PM
Yes. I noticed this started happening to me when I was working at my old job + living in the city. I think it's because I was unhappy and feeling like I had sort of lost focus on my life and the things I had wanted to do that make me happy.

Now that I'm in a place that's better and I have time to do things I enjoy I can sort of redirect myself better. I mean I'm still working on it but I do notice a difference when I'm happier.

**huuugs**

Sekhmet2014
09-02-14, 11:16 PM
this has especially been a problem for me and worse lately, but when you get depressed do you just get to a point where when youre not focused on something (like spacing out or when trying to fall asleep) you become proccupied with your own death?

these thoughts arent limited to just suicidal thoughts or ideation (altho those have happened to me more lately as well). jsut thoughts of you dying, thru whatever possible or improbable means.

if so, who knows how to counteract said thoughts before they escalate into dominating your mind and maybe worse things happening?

Conman, are you taking any kind of medication for depression? Meds help me with some of those thoughts, but I'm also old enough and I see how my elders are all slowly dying and I think, wow I hope I can go quickly.
I think about ways but not to the point of daydreaming plans.
I think some preoccupation with death is normal, but if you're worried about thinking them, I think that's something you've got to grapple with.
Perhaps try meditation, or a delaying tactic like this:
When a thought about death comes to you, try to tell yourself, "I'll think about this in five minutes or so..."
I do some deep breathing and five minutes go by and I'm already thinking of something else.

Sometimes it's hard to let go, especially when there's so much bad news in the media.

TygerSan
09-03-14, 06:56 AM
Yes. I believe the clinical term for such thoughts is passive suicidal ideation. I used to fantasize about running away, as far away from my life as physically possible. Or thinking about potential car accidents, dying of the flu, etc. It's really sucky.

Daydreamin22
09-03-14, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry, Conman. What is depressing you? Are you talking to your dr? At this point I think it's best to.

Flory
09-03-14, 11:33 AM
I didn't know that tyget I thought my own case of this was just to do with my anxiety levels :(

I think about it daily , what my funeral will be like will anybody miss me etc etc the best advice I can give is what I do when I get intrusive thoughts and that's not to fight them but to let the run but also to stay busy

Conman
09-03-14, 01:35 PM
i dont trust antidepressants after my bout with Fluoxetine and Strattera (depression and adhd respectively) where i was in a very dark place for a couple years. i dont care if all antidepressants that are SSRI's are different in effect just same mechanisms basically, i had my experience and i didnt like it.

when i do see pdoc again she tried to put me on Seroquel but never got past trial dose before school. i wanna get medicine for my anxiety cuz that fuels my depression and is more apparent past couple of years. i had to say my paranoia issues to her tho, cuz then 'oh seroquel is an antipsychotic but it's good for depression and anxiety too' like ****. i dont wanna be on an antipsychotic

all probably due to fact ive actually experienced some other emotions i didnt know i had recently and it's really ******* with my emotional rhythm. made me even more fragile

Daydreamin22
09-03-14, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear that. I'm on serequel and hate being on it. It makes me tired and I don't think I need it. I'm also on lamictal. And prodezone. My parents make me take them but I don't need them. I'm not that depressed. I feel ok. But I'm kind of in bed which is a safe haven. Not sure if I'd be depressed in another situation. But I feel ok right now.

Conman
09-03-14, 01:46 PM
yeah i was honestly expecting to be prescribed a benzo (and still want to try klonopin and see if it helps from what ive heard from others) and that caught me off guard

Daydreamin22
09-03-14, 04:06 PM
I meant geodon not prodezone. I hope you get it figured out.

JJJJJJJJJJ
09-23-14, 12:23 AM
Conman, sorry to hear about your struggles.

Do people in this group use supplements and dietary modifications along with meds?

I was fortunate to have been diagnosed after a Spect brain scan at the Amen clinic. They are semi-natural. They prescribe meds but also recommend dietary mods, supplements, exercise, healthy ways of thinking, etc.

They put me on Adderall (inattentive ADD) and Trileptal (intense mood). However, they also suggested various supplements. Over the following year or so they allowed me to eliminate the Trileptal and reduced my Adderall dose.

I suppose my case is unusual, but after discovering a heavy metal problem and 2 yrs of detox (Cutler) my functional medicine doctor suggested that I no longer needed the Adderall. I've now just been on a handful of supplements. I occasionally could use a tiny dose of the Adderall but am getting along with out it.

Dr. Mark Hyman was the one who helped me to discover my HM problem as well as the Functional Medicine philosophy of medicine. As a young adult he was essentially disabled with chronic fatigue, depression, ADD, and a long list of other strange symptoms. He explains with remarkable candor in this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnGWSyxWJ0

My point is why do you have so many medical problems? What are the chances that one person will have so many unrelated problems. Isn't it more likely that some undetected underlying problem causes or contributes to many of the symptoms.

Examples are magnesium deficiency. Mg is involved in production of brain chemicals related to anxiety and depression, etc

Low T3 thyroid hormone can cause or contribute to depression, fatigue, etc.

If you show up at the doctor's office with a heath insurance plan that will only pay the doctor for 15 minutes of time, the doc is only going to give you what you are paying for. A quick chat plus script for psych meds is easy for the doc. Looking for underlying causes is time consuming and expensive.

I'm not opposed to using meds. However the underlying problem is not likely to be a prozac or Adderall deficiency! Thankfully we have the meds until we address the underlying cause(s).

Joe

HADDaball
10-03-14, 08:18 PM
... I suppose my case is unusual, but after discovering a heavy metal problem ...

too much Rammstein in the blood?

;)

Flory
10-04-14, 12:11 AM
Hahhahahahahahahah hahahaha HAB you joker :p

After I did a colon cleanse all my ADHD dissapeared magic that ;)