View Full Version : Starting Strattera - Need your advice re: creativity/personality

desm0nd
09-03-14, 02:46 PM
Hello,

I was diagnosed as adhd when I was very young and took medication on and off until I was about 18. I am now 26 and want to try to find something that works for me.

I was given Vyvanse to start, and then Concerta. Both of these definitely helped me in terms of concentration/motivation, but it killed my creativity and personality. I am in Marketing so I need to be somewhat creative and bubbly(I am when I am not on any meds) and I found that when I had to have a conversation with anyone or attend meetings where we brainstormed ideas, my brain just froze up. When I am off my meds, I am pretty outgoing and talkative and when i'm on them, I don't really feel like talking to anyone.

My doctor said that maybe the psycho stimulants weren't for me and he wants to switch me to Strattera(which I guess isn't a psychostimulant). I haven't started taking it yet and I am about to go on vacation so I am going to start it when I get back.

I wanted to ask for your experience on it and how it effected your personality/creative side? This is for people who are similar to me where they have an outgoing personality when they are not on meds.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds :)

maginno
09-04-14, 07:46 AM
My experience has been that my creativity is there, but my quick wit isn't so quick. It has definitely slowed me down slightly, but overall I'm better as I take a little more time to evaluate decisions and not get distracted by other things so easily.

desm0nd
09-18-14, 06:12 PM
My experience has been that my creativity is there, but my quick wit isn't so quick. It has definitely slowed me down slightly, but overall I'm better as I take a little more time to evaluate decisions and not get distracted by other things so easily.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?

Sekhmet2014
09-22-14, 07:56 PM
I would say that's my reaction. It slowed me down at first, but cleared my mind. I'm able to attend to tasks better. I'm less likely to be unhappy with myself (and get into a spiral of depression), because when I make the decisions, I can let go and not knot myself up about them.
Did that make any sense?

desm0nd
10-16-14, 01:14 PM
Yes, it did. I appreciate the response :)