View Full Version : thinking of creating an adderall app

marrakesh
09-03-14, 05:38 PM
long time lurker here, and i have add myself.

i'm thinking of creating a free app that can track behavioural patterns (attentiveness, focus, etc.) of your "normal" vs. adderalled "medicated" state.

this app can be used for new and existing adderall users who can track how the medication is really working for them on different tasks against dosages and medicated/normal state. the app can also be shared with a friend/family member whom can record external behavioural or personality changes. they will not be able to see your notes, so it cannot be a bias record. however, you will be able to decide whether you want them to access your logs or dosage/no-dosage information in a particular day, or you can limit access to only one of those items.

the idea over time is to develop an analytical model or understanding of your normal vs. medicated state over time and provide a metric to either show your doctor or for personally benefit. this application can obviously be used for more than just tracking one drug, but i would rather have it focused strictly on the amphetamine niche (adderall/vyvanse/dexedrine) as more prescriptions would complicate things.

i'm thinking about doing this for fun, and for free. any thoughts?

namazu
09-03-14, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forum. Always nice when people delurk!

I've often wished I had such a thing, to track subtle (or not-so-subtle) changes.

Some of the tricky parts for implementation seem to me to be:

- how are you going to measure "alertness" / "focus"? will it be a subjective thing that the ADHDers (and/or observers) record, or based on some more objective measures?

- will it depend on the ADHDer diligently recording medication (or any other) info, or do you have ideas for prompts, pill bottle sensors, etc.?

- if sharing info, or even just on individual phone, what kind of security / privacy safeguards would there be?

If you can figure out ways to address these things and get an app up an running, I think it would be really useful.

And I think you're underestimating the utility of such a thing for tracking other med changes, too (though there the symptom / side effect domains you'd want to track could be different). I don't think you'd need to limit it to amphetamine-based drugs, unless you're programming in some assumptions about duration of action -- which could be tricky given individual differences, anyway. I guess for things that take weeks to build up or have long durations of action, it wouldn't be as simple as mapping "took it today/ didn't take it today" to a degree of improvement. But still, I think there's good potential for tracking it over time, with a moving window (in last 30 days, took med 26 days), or just comparing pre-med or pre-dose change and post... I'm just barfing out thoughts here -- this obviously could quickly become too complicated to make practical (on the programmer end or the user end) :eek: -- so maybe it would be a good idea to stick with a limited scope initially... :cool:

Do you have a particular platform/OS in mind?

Eaaqas
09-03-14, 07:02 PM
This is actually an interesting therapy tool; when you measure your attentiveness, you can become more attentive. There is always the damage of hyperfocusing on the measure more than the attentiveness. Due to the measurement error, this is not a very good measurement tool in itself ;)

ADayDreamer
09-03-14, 08:16 PM
Would be best to start with 1 drug class and once its proven useful and bugs are worked out, work on implementing a "Secondary Medication" add-on. I think for people like me who are starting with just a stimulant targeting ADHD symptoms the amph tracker would help sort out what still needs attention; anxiety, depression, etc.

If the add-on is implemented and say I end up getting a med for my severe anxiety since the stims arent helping, i could track how the two meds work together. I would still be monitoring ADHD symptoms, but able to see how they fluctuate when a new med is introduced. This also means there would need to be a sort of archive or log of "X" months back so the user could see what changes have occured over a relevant period of time.

This all COULD be done on paper, or a computer program like excel(lightbulb), but the app would just make this so much easier considering those with cellphones generally always have them with them, and accessibility wouldnt be an issue if out and about and some sort of change is noticed. I tend to forget things a LOT, so if I were out and noticed some change i wanted to log, I would forget about it(or at least the details of it) before i got home.

omygaudio
09-04-14, 01:16 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I am a coder myself and proficient at iOS (Android too to a certain degree) apps and I am willing to bust this out if it aint too hard.

someothertime
09-04-14, 06:51 AM
i suggest the use of prompted;

sliders / word recognition / shake ( gyroscope ) etc as input methods..... typing just adds a layer of hindrance to usage IMHO

Laserbeak
09-07-14, 04:12 AM
A drug app is on my (long) list of apps I want to write too. Too bad I don't have the concentration to do it now, maybe when the winter comes. I hate this heat, I don't feel like doing anything!

But I'm completely fluent in Objective-C.

Flory
09-07-14, 06:43 AM
This is a great idea in principle :) I don't think it needs to be adderall specific however also you need to consider that at least for myself an a lot of people with ADHD remembering to take meds or to enter things into a journal regularly/consistently might be a problem would perhaps need to set a reminder function on it

mollymae76
09-07-14, 09:48 AM
^^^buncha smarties up in here^^^

I'd love to use an app like this. For iphone: "Moment Diary" and "Chain" (amazing and simple for habit building) are my most helpful ADD apps.

Little Missy
09-07-14, 10:07 AM
I think it sounds like a great idea but then I am reminded of when outerwear suddenly came with a gazillion pockets everywhere for organization and sudden being organized seemed very disorganized because I never knew where anything was because none of it was where it used to be.

Very long sentence.