View Full Version : Fighting a loosing battle?

Debbie0712
09-04-14, 04:56 AM
Hi, my 7 year old started his first day in year 3 yesterday. He was diagnosed with ADHD nearly 3 years ago. I have never thought that the school have supported me or my son. His school work is below national average and he receives no help for this.
I received a call from my sons' school yesterday (on the first day back after the holidays), explaining that he had been issued a yellow card for disruptive behaviour. He had been getting out of his chair and shouting answers out etc. As a result he now looses his play time today. After explaining to the teacher that this seems to be his 'normal' behaviour and that he has never really coped with transition well she replied that the school has decided that they need to take a tougher stance on behaviour.
I feel like my son is being punished for having ADHD!!
Does anybody else have the same problem? Any advice?
Thanks for reading.

silivrentoliel
09-04-14, 07:43 AM
is he medicated?

zette93
09-04-14, 12:18 PM
Does he have a 504 plan? I would suggest having a consult with an educational advocate (you can usually get a 1 hr free one) to learn more about what the school could/should be doing to help.

Also, do you have any other schooling options such as a charter school, private school (if financially feasible), homeschooling, or hybrid school/homeschool (ie 2-3 days per week)? I would look around and see if there is some place out there that might be a better fit.

Also check out the book Lost at School. It might give you a method to help solve some of the issues at school.

ccom5100
09-04-14, 03:10 PM
I don't know the laws in the UK. Here in the US, adhd kids are covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Act, and can get accommodations in school, especially if their grades are below average. The worst punishment for a child with adhd is to lose recess. I suggest you do some research on the laws there and try to find an advocate group if you can.

Flory
09-04-14, 05:13 PM
We don't have 504 plans over here ZEtte but we have statements of special needs.

Think you need to go and talk with the teacher one on one and explain your sons difficulty, do you have any reports from camhs and if so have these been given to the teacher ..? If this doesn't prove fruitful I would write a detailed account of it all and send it into the hpdeputy head or head teacher at the school and try to copy in the special needs team if there's a specific unit at the school (which hopefully there should be) I'd also recommend checking in with his physician

Hopefully he will settle a little as the year progresses it could be the excitement of the new term and a new classroom

It sounds like he could do with some in class support and certainly a little more compassion

Wishing you all the best

zette93
09-04-14, 05:25 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice the location and assumed you were in the US.

Flory
09-04-14, 06:38 PM
And yes considered a disability in uk :)

gardensparrow
09-05-14, 03:10 PM
Ugh...that is so frustrating to feel like the school is not on your side when it comes to dealing with your kids and their struggle with ADHD. It certainly seems like they should have different expectations and accomodations for children in your son's shoes. So, my first thought was, have you had a chance to sit down with the teacher or principal and let them know some of the challenges your son has and the best ways to respond? There's definitely different discipline strategies for kids with ADHD. Also, does your school have a counselor that could offer some input and help here? Normally, schools have some familiarity with issues like these, but it's important to be sure for your son's sake. Lastly, you might want to check out a site like CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder). They have a lot of articles and helps for situations like these. Hope it helps. But, in the meantime, know someone out there is praying for you!

Adduce
09-06-14, 03:57 AM
If he is struggling with schoolwork then would the school consider consulting with an Educational Psychologist (usually the professional in the UK who would be involved in designing teaching strategies for struggling students).
I say this as problems with keeping up in class can also affect behaviour in children.

I can recommend some books which you may find useful and you should be able to pick up cheap on the internet.

'Could Do Better - Help Your Kid Shine At School' by Phil Beadle
'Mind Maps For Kids - An Introduction/Max your Memory and Concentration' by Tony Buzan

Hope this helps.