View Full Version : Trying to decide whether to persevere with Ritalin IR

brentdotcom
09-06-14, 05:30 AM
With my doctor's permission I've been ramping up my Ritalin IR dosage slowly from 2.5mg to currently 10mg, due to a relatively high sensitivity to it. This I've done over the course of about 3 weeks now, and I'm still not seeing verifiable benefits, aside from momentary glimpses of promise (for instance, I recently had the most amazing meditation session of my life while on 5mg). Meanwhile, side effects have included tightness in my throat, minor nausea, headaches, upset stomach, and in the beginning -- though not so much anymore -- increased heart rate and intensity. I'm also a little concerned that my ADHD symptoms may actually get worse when I'm taking Ritalin: my ability to focus seems to decrease, as does my working memory (I'll have to re-read the same paragraph over and over and still won't absorb the information) and motivation levels feel quite low, as well. In truth, my experiences with Ritalin have been somewhat inconsistent. I'll variously feel out-of-it, slightly speedy, or even calm. I've chalked this inconsistence (as well as the negative side effects) up to my body still adjusting, which is corroborated by the fact that I no longer experience any side effects -- either positive or negative -- at lower doses.

What I need to establish now, is whether I should persevere with Ritalin, and my decision is largely based on two questions. Will continuing to gradually increase my dosage -- therefore giving my body the necessary time to adjust -- allow me to reach some kind of effectivity threshold with the drug and, like the light switch effect that I've heard people describe, I'll suddenly start seeing substantial, unmistakable benefits? Or is it simply a ramping effect with Ritalin: taking more will only lead to amplified versions of what I'm currently experiencing at 10mg, and there's no light switch around the corner?

Anyone have some wisdom to share about this?

EDIT: I'm a 27 year old male, healthy, 145 lbs.

sarahsweets
09-08-14, 03:56 AM
What dose are you taking?

brentdotcom
09-08-14, 06:04 AM
What dose are you taking?

I'm currently taking 10mg once a day (morning, usually) and 0 to 5 mg later on the day, after my initial dose has worn off.