View Full Version : SAM-E a treatment for ADHD?

InvitroCanibal
09-08-14, 03:56 PM
I wanted to know if anyone had any research or sources they could share on this topic. I found this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2236465/

And it made me curious as to what else might be out there. I will keep digging but if anyone has anything they could share on the topic it would help me tremendously.

Thank you

Laserbeak
10-09-14, 09:30 AM
This line turned me off:

S-Adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM), the active form of methionine, acts as a methyl donor and is involved in many metabolic pathways. It has beta adrenergic and DA receptor agonist activity.(emphasis mine)

I am on a -blocker (Metoprolol) and feel like my heart would jump out of my chest and just go down the sidewalk without me if I didn't. So I certainly don't want to take a -agonist!

InvitroCanibal
11-16-14, 09:30 PM
I see what you're saying but it depends on what beta receptor group specifically it targets. It's odd that 75 percent of the subjects studdied responded positively to it, if that were the case it seems like it would be more effective than most meds out there. I currently use it as an adjunct in my med regiments and it works significantly well for me. So much so that i'm starting to wonder if it works better than stimulant medication alone.

TygerSan
12-03-14, 02:01 PM
I would hazard a guess that many stimulants indirectly increase beta-adrenoreceptor activity (most increase norepinephrine levels as well as dopamine levels).

The abstract that you linked to doesn't really blow me away with its findings. That doesn't mean that the treatment doesn't work for you, just that this particular study doesn't really wow me with its conclusions. It's a pretty mediocre quality journal, and it appears that all the effects happened during the open phase of the trial. That is, after the subjects knew that they were taking active compound rather than placebo. That the authors don't seem to comment on the results of the double-blind trial (when the effects of the drug are most able to be divorced from a placebo effect) gives me pause.

someothertime
12-03-14, 02:30 PM
4 and 8 weeks :scratch:

maybe...

i would be hoping for a 6, 12 or min 3 month trial period... there are alot of things that work for 4 to 8 weeks... ( new activities could fit here )

( sorry, i know you asked for resources and i offered a criticism ) i guess i'm trying to underscore physiological stability of said treatment.

InvitroCanibal
12-14-14, 12:33 AM
I would hazard a guess that many stimulants indirectly increase beta-adrenoreceptor activity (most increase norepinephrine levels as well as dopamine levels).

The abstract that you linked to doesn't really blow me away with its findings. That doesn't mean that the treatment doesn't work for you, just that this particular study doesn't really wow me with its conclusions. It's a pretty mediocre quality journal, and it appears that all the effects happened during the open phase of the trial. That is, after the subjects knew that they were taking active compound rather than placebo. That the authors don't seem to comment on the results of the double-blind trial (when the effects of the drug are most able to be divorced from a placebo effect) gives me pause.

I agree, which is why I was looking for more research

Greyhound1
12-14-14, 02:14 AM
I have taken Sam-e for over a year and a half. I find it to work pretty well for me. It can really help to elevate and stabilize my moods. I don't take it everyday just when I feel moods are an issue. I use it now about once or twice a week.

I did use it everyday for about a year and It helped lift me out of the emotional hole I was in. Did much more for me than any of the dozen or so SRI/SSRI's I had tried over the years. Now, I just use it for maintenance.

If you consider taking please due your research first and discuss it with your Dr. Mine was good with it, but it can cause major issues with other things like Bi-Polar and severe depression. I would also suggest supplementing with an additional vitamin B complex and always taking it on an empty stomach at least 30 mins. before or 2-3 hours after a meal with plenty of water. I found this to be the most effective method. It is enteric coated for a time release in your intestines. With food it breaks down in the stomach and is wasted and can cause stomach ache.