View Full Version : ANOTHER depression aspect thread

Conman
09-09-14, 02:08 PM
debated just continuing it on my other one, but this is distinct in itself and probably a bit more of a common part of depression than the preoccupation with death.

i know especially when i get depressed, and ive seen lots of people struggle and argue with me during it as well as others who have done/do what i do when depressed; but when youre 'coming up' in the depression (imagine like doing drugs: start---coming up---peak/plateau---coming down---finished) and during the plateau you just are the most negative thing in the world when people try and talk to you, more so if theyre trying to help you

nothing anybody says to help you or lift you up does anything for you. even worse is you find a way to shoot down every little bit of advice or help people give and keep going on about how what theyre saying isnt true or why it wont help based on whats going on with you. you have an answer for everything and it's always shooting ideas down almost like "you" want to stay where youre at until it passes

and then it's self-perpetuating cuz you feel like an d*ck cuz friends/family/loved ones if youre lucky enough to have one etc. were trying to help and you just shot everything down and come off as a sandy little butthole and people will think "whatever, **** that guy".

the cycle continues

im either shooting advice down immediately or sometimes i do listen but the end result is the same. very rarely has something i said actually undone a piece of advice or help and they admit that im right on that part.

anyone else?

stef
09-09-14, 02:37 PM
Yes, i can totally relate but I get this at the "peak" rather than the beginning.

Conman
09-09-14, 05:43 PM
like i said, around halfway coming up it happens.

its also dependent on if people do try to advice/help you during. otherwise ill just sit and either take it or try and battle the war inside my head

Sekhmet2014
09-09-14, 08:51 PM
Me too, but also lots of so-called advice from people I know is not going to help ("just snap out of it!" "look on the bright side!"). I do listen, nod, smile if I can and say thank you. Sometimes I say, "I've got a doctor's appointment next week and I'll bring it up."
That usually stops them: they understand I'm getting some kind of help from someone.

fracturedstory
09-09-14, 10:45 PM
I do it all throughout depression. I thought I just liked to argue with people.