View Full Version : 1st Night on Strattera = AWFUL

imnotkuku
09-10-14, 06:52 AM
So I was just diagnosed with adhd yesterday and my dr. gave me 40mg of Strattera. I took it at 9pm because she said it could help me sleep and God knows I need that as I have had TERRIBLE innsomnia for MONTHS. Well, to my disappointment, I was awake ALL NIGHT. is this normal? I've never been on anything like this. Should I take it during the day? It did make me feel kinda loopy, but after I laid down....WIDE awake. :(

Lizzo11
09-10-14, 10:16 PM
Normal for me, yes. If I take it too late in the day, I toss and turn all night. :( I have to take it before noon. Sorry that happened to you.

Meteodan
09-11-14, 11:00 AM
When I was on Strattera, I always took it in the morning. At first I had some difficulty sleeping at night, but that went away after a while. It worked well for my ADHD symptoms, but I eventually had to stop it due to other side effects.

Odd that she would say to take it at night, and also odd that she would start you on 40. Typically people start low (I started on 25) and then increase the dose slowly after 1-2 weeks. It takes a while to build up in your system and you don't want to take too much too quickly. She may have her reasons, though.

imnotkuku
09-11-14, 11:46 AM
I took it at 8:00pm last night instead of 9pm. Fell asleep by midnight, slept till 3:30am, then was wide awake. Oddly enough, I'm not that tired. My fear about taking it during the day is that I get a little loopy about an hour after I take it and have to drive. The only side effects I'm really noticing is the terrible dry mouth..but it doesn't seem to be helping me during the day. I'm still antsy and fidgety and can't concentrate. I'm trying to get it a week before I call my dr...I wonder if I take it at 5pm, when I get home if it'll help. I guess trial and error.

Meteodan, Apparently I scored pretty high on the adhd scale...I wonder if that's why it's 40 right off the bat.

Lone Wolf
09-11-14, 03:35 PM
I've been on Strattera for exactly a week now. I've had some problems sleeping as well. But then I also have depression and anxiety. Insomnia was a chronic problem for me. I have already been taking 225 mg of Effexor for a few years now. The psychiatrist I saw started me on Seroquel -200 mg, taken before bedtime, and it was a godsend. The dose of seroquel has been raised to 300 mg since starting Strattera.

I know it's too early to tell, but already I think I am seeing some small improvement. :)

I take Strattera in the morning along with Effexor and Omega 3 fish oil capsules. I'm starting at 40 mg also.

imnotkuku
09-11-14, 03:45 PM
I've been on Strattera for exactly a week now. I've had some problems sleeping as well. But then I also have depression and anxiety. Insomnia was a chronic problem for me. I have already been taking 225 mg of Effexor for a few years now. The psychiatrist I saw started me on Seroquel -200 mg, taken before bedtime, and it was a godsend. The dose of seroquel has been raised to 300 mg since starting Strattera.

I know it's too early to tell, but already I think I am seeing some small improvement. :)

I take Strattera in the morning along with Effexor and Omega 3 fish oil capsules. I'm starting at 40 mg also.

Thanks for your reply. I've got anxiety as well but haven't been on a daily med for it, just the Aterax (I think that's what it's called) as needed for panic attacks. I've always had a problem getting to bed, but not THIS bad while in bed. I'm hoping it'll get better. I'm taking todays meds as soon as I get home from work, then tomorrow I'll bring them with me and take it a little earlier, and keep doing that till I find the BINGO I CAN SLEEP time to take the meds. I'm still waiting for the magic of noticing a difference to happen. Right now, I just feel wonky for an hour or so after I take my meds and then it's back to normal...doing nothing except vegging on my laptop all night. My husband will be happy when I'm able to do a load of laundry rather than a game of candy crush LOL

Sekhmet2014
09-14-14, 09:19 PM
Your doctor is wrong I think. Everything I've read about Strattera is that it is "activating" and therefore can cause sleep problems. I take something that helps me sleep before bed time.

My first night on Strattera was like that: right to sleep, then awake. Not anxious-awake, just awake, like I was kid who wanted to get up in the middle of the night and play with my toys...But it's better now. I take my pill in the morning with breakfast. I also have terrible dry mouth. I've cut my coffee consumption to one or two a day and that may be helping with my sleep as well.
Good luck!

imnotkuku
09-15-14, 05:42 PM
I'm sleeping much better now. I've started taking it in the morning. I'm just not seeing any difference though and it's getting frustrating.

Meteodan
09-18-14, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear that you are sleeping better. Taking it in the morning is probably wise. As for not noticing anything yet, give it some time. It could take several weeks for you to get the full benefit, and you'll likely have to increase your dose a few times.