View Full Version : How do I know if I'm depressed?

inattentiveaus
09-10-14, 09:08 AM
I just seems like such a difficult feeling to understand and encapsulate as a mood. Can anyone help me to identify anything about my life that may point to some depression or other related illnesses?

FYI: DX'd with ADHD-I last year. Dexamphetamine 10mg x 3 a day. I take as needed but only take about 6-10 tabs a week.

Currently my life seems to be off track and in limbo. I got kicked out of Uni in August due to poor academic performance spanning the last year n a half.

- I have started to do less and less, neglecting my personal hygiene and everyday obligations. (I shower if I'm leaving the house otherwise every 2nd day.)
- I stay on my computer almost all day, playing games and watching movies. (I do talk with online friends a lot during this time and play in a serious competitive gaming team which I'm passionate about)
- I have a blank disinterested stare at work most of the time. Seeming to like my job requires effort at work.
- I find when around others and out of my bubble (house/comp) I am often thinking about my life, and how I have wasted these last months not looking for a job and thinking about what I will do...but the cycle continues.
- My stomach is hungry, but my appetite to eat has diminished. I eat maybe once or twice a day.
- Basically drive to accomplish productive tasks has gone. I say I'll clean my room and do things every day, yet I don't.

The only time I'm out of the house is if I'm at work (1-3 times a week) or partying with friends (once a week usually). If I don't need to leave the house I don't.

My goal was to get a full-time job and rethink my motivations for Uni next year, although I haven't been able to muster up the motivation to get off my *** and do that, or anything productive. Each day I do nothing productive in the eyes of the real world and my dad.

I laugh and consider myself happy, but maybe there are more ways to determine if someone is depressed that just these. I am happy talking with online gamer friends and I make jokes/laugh when with real life friends.

Sleep seems to have gotten better as I used to stay up till 3-5am..but I try get to bed by 2am now.

Anyone know what's wrong with me?

Thanks!

Fuzzy12
09-10-14, 09:20 AM
I could be depression but a lot of what you describe also sounds like just ADHD. However, if those symptoms started only recently, it's probably depression related rather than ADHD (or both). Also, keep in mind that a lot of symptoms of ADHD can result in depression and often get resolved with treatment for ADHD.

I think, not everyone with depression has to feel extreme sadness all of the time but if you are basically happy and sprightly most of the time, then I'm not sure how well depression fits. Are there any negative feelings that are occurring for a large amount of time?

Motivation is a tricky beast and there are lots of things that can interfere with it.

dvdnvwls
09-10-14, 01:57 PM
Depression isn't one single obvious unchanging set of symptoms; it depends on you and your situation to some extent. Don't take any single fact or symptom as proof one way or the other. What defines it for another person may be not such a big deal to you.

That said, one part that I think is important in being what I think of as "really depressed" is that things you've always enjoyed feel like they're no good anymore. This can refer to your own special favourite activities, or to the nearly-universal favourites like good food or sex.

fracturedstory
09-13-14, 08:45 AM
The shower every 2nd day just makes sense. Why shower when no one can smell you? Sometimes I actually don't shower for longer than that, or I forgot if I showered yesterday or two days ago.

One red flag for depression is appetite suppression.

The others are hard to point towards depression.

I have bipolar so my depression gets severe really quickly, but I may be able to give a few examples of the times it's mild.

I start to feel bored with whatever I do, like I'm drifting through life and especially when I watch TV at night it feels painful to just sit there on the couch until it's bedtime.

Start doubting myself and my abilities.

I start thinking 'meh' to all those tasks I used to enjoy doing.

Happy people begin to annoy me. I start thinking very cynically and snarkish.

I don't have enough energy or motivation to eat healthy or exercise. I don't take much care when choosing what to wear.

I think the way you're going you might end up with depression. If I were you I would start planning to do something productive, choose a day and do at least 1 thing to make you feel better. Even when I'm at home not doing much I like to accomplish small tasks each day.

I hope it all works out for you. If you need any tips just ask. I'm pretty good at telling people how to get more organized.

Also, if I was in Melbourne I would be going out to a gig a night, taking photos and setting up my own photography shop. I kind of have plans to move there and do all that. I just need to get my photography off the ground in Sydney. I feel better when I plan and go out to gigs. I don't work because I'm on the pension and I'm fighting to stay on for just two more years and then I'll get into self-employment and take live/promo photos of bands and then move to the Promised Land. I mean Melbourne.

psychopathetic
10-20-14, 12:11 AM
(((Bro Hugs)))

I just want to thank you for this post. I don't know exactly why...but it helped me tonight. It made me feel better.
I think you are brave for posting this, and I relate so much with almost all of everything on your short list.

I also agree with Fuzzy in that most of it sounds like ADHD to me.

Anyhow...thank you.

sarahsweets
10-20-14, 04:13 AM
It could be depression but there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression.

Crosswired
10-20-14, 08:37 PM
A lot of ADD-PI sufferers often get misdiagnosed as being depressed. The lack of motivation and lethargy is present in both ADD and depression. I get bouts of situational depression. I work a dead-end job and feel hopeless sometimes but it's part of my ADD rather than clinical depression.

There are lots of depression questionnaires on the web. Fill one out but also keep in mind how ADD factors in.

Lizzie80
10-21-14, 04:05 AM
I just seems like such a difficult feeling to understand and encapsulate as a mood. Can anyone help me to identify anything about my life that may point to some depression or other related illnesses?

FYI: DX'd with ADHD-I last year. Dexamphetamine 10mg x 3 a day. I take as needed but only take about 6-10 tabs a week.

Currently my life seems to be off track and in limbo. I got kicked out of Uni in August due to poor academic performance spanning the last year n a half.

- I have started to do less and less, neglecting my personal hygiene and everyday obligations. (I shower if I'm leaving the house otherwise every 2nd day.)
- I stay on my computer almost all day, playing games and watching movies. (I do talk with online friends a lot during this time and play in a serious competitive gaming team which I'm passionate about)
- I have a blank disinterested stare at work most of the time. Seeming to like my job requires effort at work.
- I find when around others and out of my bubble (house/comp) I am often thinking about my life, and how I have wasted these last months not looking for a job and thinking about what I will do...but the cycle continues.
- My stomach is hungry, but my appetite to eat has diminished. I eat maybe once or twice a day.
- Basically drive to accomplish productive tasks has gone. I say I'll clean my room and do things every day, yet I don't.

The only time I'm out of the house is if I'm at work (1-3 times a week) or partying with friends (once a week usually). If I don't need to leave the house I don't.

My goal was to get a full-time job and rethink my motivations for Uni next year, although I haven't been able to muster up the motivation to get off my *** and do that, or anything productive. Each day I do nothing productive in the eyes of the real world and my dad.

I laugh and consider myself happy, but maybe there are more ways to determine if someone is depressed that just these. I am happy talking with online gamer friends and I make jokes/laugh when with real life friends.

Sleep seems to have gotten better as I used to stay up till 3-5am..but I try get to bed by 2am now.

Anyone know what's wrong with me?

Thanks!
I don't think you have true depression, per se. It sounds more like you're struggling with the executive function problems that ADD causes, with or without hyperactivity involved. There are a lot of good resources that go into these topics lack of motivation, difficulty staying on-track with goals, kind of just drifting by, etc.) The best book I've come across is More Attention, Less Deficit, by Ari Zuckman.

Only you know whether your lifestyle is supportive of living in excellence, or settling for mediocrity. I think whenever I've chosen the latter, I've cheated myself out of the best that there is to offer from life, ADD medication, opportunities for change, and so on.

You can just ask these of yourself. They're things that may help, based on my experience and those I've worked with who have ADD:
1) Am I taking my medication as prescribed? I'm not talking about taking too much, but taking too little. Is there a reluctance on my part to take my Rx'ed amount, a belief holding me back from giving what medication should provide- a new normal?
2) Do I eat regularly, healthfully, with a good amount of protein, healthy fat, vitamins? If not, executive functioning will likely be affected even more negative ly.
3) Have I educated myself on neurotransmitters? How the I interplay of dopamine, serotonin, and so on affect my ADD? Am I doing what I can to improve that?
4) Am I getting in some exercise daily?
5) Am I proactively working on improving functions/skills that aid ADD treatment? Time management, organizing, etc.?
6) Do I have a good ADD support system? A coach or mentor experienced with ADD and/or a therapist? One or more people that hold me accountable, help me establish and see goals through, listen when I need to vent or need advice? Friends who do the same? Not just chums to chat with, but people who love me enough to tell it like it is, get me off my tush, demand accountability, and yet are there for me- no matter what?

Laserbeak
11-08-14, 04:39 PM
I think I see a lot of similarities to what you are going through and what I am going through.

First, on the topic of showering, I'd sometimes go for a week or more without showering in the winter sometimes! But actually getting out of bed, getting a thorough showering at least once a day is not only hygienic, but invigorating and stimulates both your mind and body. It really helps you start a productive day and is also relaxing before bedtime too, especially if you've had a tough day.

I've also found actually going to sleep (not passing out) is quite helpful.I'm still working on this myself. Too often I find myself having gone to sleep half dressed with the TV blaring and all the lights on. It's much better to pick a time, turn off the TV, a night-time shower also helps here. Have a large glass of water and maybe even a pitcher of water too on your night stand so get plenty of hydration during the night without having to get up and walk to the kitchen and possibly making an alcoholic drink. Going to sleep in a freshly made bed with any dirt, crumbs, etc. shaken out, the lights turned off, the TV turned off, perhaps just the radio on low, light music does wonders. If you do take a sleeping pill nightly, take it about 15 minutes before you plan to actually go "lights off."

I'm still working on it myself, but these things certainly seem to help me if I can remember to stick to the regimen.

Good luck!