View Full Version : Sleep

Uberend
09-12-14, 04:23 AM
I keep hearing that sleep is the main man for helping inattentives. Bit only that but it decreases cortisol, increases testosterone and does other pretty yummy things

Does any have advice on getting the best sleep - esp. Supplements

Also, when I sleep I constantly toss and turn and as a result I don't think I get a proper deep sleep. Anyone else have this experience?

imnotkuku
09-12-14, 11:25 AM
What is this sleep you speak of? I've been on Strattera for 4 days now, I think I've slept MAYBE 6 hours in those 4 days. Oddly though, I'm not as tired as I should be. Today I took my meds in the morning in hopes that it's worn off by night. Because if I don't get some decent sleep soon, I'll be seeing purple heffelumps LOL

Darkneko
09-12-14, 10:26 PM
Not sure about supplements but exercise is good for tiring you out so you can sleep better. Can't really comment unless we know why you can't sleep.
Maybe you have too much stimulants in your diet ie sugar, caffene..
Maybe you have a racing mind so maybe writing a diary before sleep would help...

LostInThought8
09-15-14, 02:21 PM
Look up information on Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. Wikipedia has an interesting article about it, and the national institute for health has published studies about it. Itís highly prevalent in ADHD patients, and is rarely diagnosed correctly from what Iíve found thus far while doing research. The best part is that the treatment for it is fairly simple and is helpful whether you have it or not. I have been doing it for a while and the results are hard to argue with. After doing a fair amount of research and trying it out for a while, I have found it to be a god send. I have found this treatment to be very effective. Do research on your own to get exact specifics.
Using light and dark therapy helps your natural internal clock, your circadian rhythm. Light therapy means shortly after waking in the morning you want to get anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes of bright blue spectrum light. The amount of time and methods vary from direct sunlight, or in the winter months using a light box, or having some other source of blue light like day bright LED bulbs in combination with fluorescents, basically make it daytime. Dark therapy used in conjunction is very effective. A couple of hours before bed time, close your curtains (preferably darkening blinds, especially in the summer) and make the area you are in fairly dim. If you must go in areas of your home that must have lights on, most homes have fluorescent bulbs or LED lighting = blue light, or you are watching TV, most TVís are illuminated by LED = blue light. You want to get a pair of blue blocking polarized sunglasses or goggles; I use amber or yellow polarized sunglasses. This is because even momentary exposure to blue spectrum light can cause melatonin production to stop, which is bad if you want to get tired and sleep deeply and for the whole 8 hours. After you have a solid sleep rhythm where you can wake up without an alarm clock, you can tone back on the glasses. I used to always have a really loud alarm and someone to wake me; I wake up on my own now. Use them again if you need to reset after the weekend if youíve been bad and stayed up to late and slept in.
Taking a 3 mg melatonin supplement an hour and a half to 3 hours before bed is part of the treatment, and no, more is not better. It can cause vivid dreams and a sleep cycle hang over. Start low 1 mg if you can find it and go from there. I take 3mg, more than that does not work for me, and I believe is considered to be a high dose.
My wife and I also take diphenhydramine hcl, aka Benadryl, anywhere from 12.5-24mg usually around 12.5mg. This is definitely another less is more situation. It is Also the main ingredient in NyQuil Zzz Quil. You can get the liquid equate sleep-aid version from Walmart that doesnít have any alcohol in it. Though the amount of alcohol is fairly negligible in Zzz Quil, It may assist in processing the medication faster (just guessing on that one), not sure but it works well for me and is what I usually use. You can get this stuff anywhere, in pills, liquid etc. Itís non-addictive and fairly harmless at a really low dose. You want to take it about 30-45 minutes before you lie down and turn off the lights. The dosage on the box wants you to take 50 mg, but that will surely last well into the next morning. Good luck waking up easily, itís just too much at that level, I think. It can also counteract ADHD medications while itís still in the system at higher doses, from what my doctor says and from what Iíve learned.
The most important thing is to try to go to bed the same time every day and get up at the same time including weekends and keep your sleeping area comfortable, cool, quiet and dark. If you stay up an hour or two past every weekend itíll throw you off on Monday, and youíll have to do the sunglasses thing again to reset. After the adjustment period, I have been getting the best sleep of my life. Iím not a medical professional and suggest you talk to your doctor before trying this, especially if you have any health issues. Taking diphenhydramine hcl is not part of any official treatment program that I know of, but I have found it to be a very effective in combination with the therapy which I have done on my own. It has helped me tremendously, especially with alertness, focus, and energy the next day. Sleep is very, very important for everyone, especially for us.

Sheppie
09-16-14, 04:50 AM
Exercising does not tie me - that's very very unfortunate. I can run, jog, jump, sweat and afterwards I will be panting, sweating and exhausted but not enough to fall asleep. I would just lie in bed and toss and turn thinking: oh boy how tired I am :)

Uberend
09-18-14, 06:36 AM
Cheers lostinthought that was exactly what I was looking for! Had heard about sleep diets but this seems to be the next step - I'm open to anything that will improve my sleep

I'm also looking for a way to stop tossing and turning. I've always moved constantly when I sleep, turning for most of any given night and usually I wake up feeling good, but not really well rested.

But. Say if I meditate before I go to bed, breathing deeply in the same spot for about twenty minutes I come out feeling really well rested and calm. Most times I get an urge to move, or scratch my head and when I resist the urge I slowly become more relaxed.

I'm thinking that the constant movement in my sleep is stopping me from getting in to a really deep sleep. Could this be possible?

Little Missy
09-18-14, 07:00 AM
Benadryl gives me God-awful horrifying dreams and makes me thrash around in bed all night.

Ananas
09-18-14, 08:36 AM
You could try melatonin. It's probably the best supplement for sleep problems.

Sekhmet2014
09-20-14, 05:42 AM
:( Now you tell me!

I take mirtazapine at a pretty low dose, 15mg before bedtime and it usually helps me sleep well throughout the night, but for some reason, I woke up about 2:30am and could not get back to sleep. Glad that it's Saturday. But this kind of stuff really sets me back.
I've cut way down on my caffeine. 1 mug in the morning and a small cup in the early afternoon. I used to drink 3 mugs minimum or the equivalent. I believe Strattera is mainly at fault in messing with my sleeping, but I'll also cut out my afternoon coffee if I need to.
But then if I'm tired, I sometimes can't help napping in the afternoon.
I just started an exercise program and I think it's a good thing in general. It actually helps me stay alert and awake, but I can't do it every day yet.