View Full Version : Long-term sustainability of being on Concerta

levdavidovic
09-12-14, 12:42 PM
I would just like to post some of my ongoing concerns about taking Concerta. I am 21 and take 34 mg daily. I was diagnosed at 9 years old, and I went through a series of medications due to having worrying side-effects on each them (including Concerta). At 16 years old I changed back to Concerta, after being on Atomoxetine for three years (couldn't deal with the heavy depression it caused), and it seems that my body can handle Concerta this time round well, except maybe slightly elevated blood pressure, and it making me go bald young. My symptoms now near enough completely fall under the umbrella of 'inattention', although as a child I was very hyperactive and impulsive.

I have achieved lots over the last 5 years or. I go to one of two of the top universities in my country, achieve among the top grades in my year group, and am applying for very competitive PhD places. I still am unsure about the exact extent of Concerta's contribution to this, although I tried going for around five months without it. In those five months, three were vacation (no big problems there); in the other two, I was generally unhappy with my mental acuity (greater tendency to space out, common mental blocks, reduced mental stamina, lack of motivation, etc.), although there were other factors involved that were unrelated to medication, so I am unsure about this exactly.

I believe some day I will face having to stop taking Concerta; either the doctors will refuse to keep prescribing it (as I get the impression of reluctance of prescribing it to adults), or maybe it might cause heart problems (taking a stimulant for a prolonged period of time cannot do good, right?). Has anyone been in a similar situation to me? Does anyone have anything notable to contribute? My goals in life now are very ambitious, although attainable I believe, but they are based on my current rates of productivity. I don't know what I'd settle with if I were unable to produce the same results as I do now in the future.

Over the next few months I am going to trial 18 mg doses, and see if that changes anything. Are there any alternatives (not necessarily medicinal) people have tried out?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading in advance.

Blablablue
09-12-14, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about it you started going a top university at the age of 16 and now you are graduating with top scores. Even if you had to quit your meds in the distant future you're still smart enough to maintain whatever high position you have achieved by that time. But that's my opinion, as in I think you are probably so smart you will be able to compensate the set backs ADHD is giving you.

Also for alternatives, treatment combined with therapy always worked really well, but you probably already had extensive therapy in the past.

And of course you will have the benefits of hyper focus and having more chaos in your mind which might make you see more scientific possibilities (go entropy!).

Anyway I'm wondering why you are worrying and already reacting to a situation that hasn't happened yet? You may have an car accident in the future which makes you crippled but you aren't preparing for that careerwise as well are you? This is a bit comparing apples and pears yes...

And if you are really worried about it and want to cut down your medicine to see what the effects are I think it would be better to talk with a psychologist about it and evaluate your own behaviour very well before and after taking less meds (writing a daily log?).

Flory
09-13-14, 01:06 AM
I intend to take the medication for as long as it's effective and as long as my body can take it. I live in the uk also in kent, I don't have any problems with receiving my meds but that is in part because I have a great GP and a very good consultant.

The questions you need to ask yourself are
1)what are your expectations from medication, it seems you have achieved a great deal and not all of that would have been from meds.
2)if you have any side effects are they bearable or are they potentially dangerous
If they are dangerous or unbearable it doesn't matter how great the drugs are for your ADHD it's not worth it
3)how is your ADHD impairing you at this stage in your life and how much of a problem is this to your daily functioning and happiness; relationships, work life, driving etc etc, has it gotten to a point where if medication was troublesome you could cope without
4)what other methods can you put in place now aside from meds that would help you with some of your problems, a therapist, organisation tactics etc etc
5)can you discuss your worries with your pdoc. Often times an honest discussion with your hcp can ease your worries a little. In the UK we have nice guidelines for adult ADHD, if your medication stops working or isn't helping there are set routes that can be taken if that is appropriate for you

sarahsweets
09-13-14, 08:31 AM
I've been taking stimulants for 10 years with no problems.

palmtree_23
10-03-14, 09:43 PM
I have the same worry. Its working so well now, what if one day it stops and i have to give it up. I cant imagine going back to the way things were before. Are all stimulants doomed to eventually becoming ineffective? I hope not lol