View Full Version : What is going on with my new dose?

HKM416
09-15-14, 06:29 AM
Ok so basically i started concerta 6 months ago.. And i started with 18mg.

18mg worked for a week.. After a week i couldn't even tell if the pill was helping me or not.. So i upped the dose to 27Mg with my psychiatrist.

27Mg was the best so far. The effects were much more noticeable compared to the 18Mg... But still , me and my psychiatrist wanted to see if taking more of the medication would help me even more.

36Mg. I started this dose 2 days ago and wow.. I'm feeling weird. Its like the opposite of the 18 and 27mg.

As crazy as it sounds , the 36mg so far makes me drowsy and sleepy.. It makes me feel like a zombie. I don't know... For example i could be sitting on my bed and just stare at a poster.. Or i could be looking at my iPhone screen and its like nothing is going on in my head. Its like there is just no connections in my brain anymore lol.

Anyway.. Should i just keep going and see what happens in a week or two or should i go back to 27 asap?

SomeKindOfNone
09-15-14, 04:12 PM
I have experienced the same thing with Ritalin LA, my doctor said I should try 40 mg from 20 mg. Didn't help at all, side effects got worse though. Sadly I do not have an answer for you, but would like to here what others might have to say. I'm currently back on 20 mg, it doesn't work that well but at least I get some stuff done doing the day.

Little Missy
09-15-14, 04:36 PM
Hard to say. One time I was really upped out on Dex per my Pdoc and I was positively morose on it. Worst feeling ever. Sometimes less is more.

HKM416
09-15-14, 05:24 PM
I have experienced the same thing with Ritalin LA, my doctor said I should try 40 mg from 20 mg. Didn't help at all, side effects got worse though. Sadly I do not have an answer for you, but would like to here what others might have to say. I'm currently back on 20 mg, it doesn't work that well but at least I get some stuff done doing the day.

For how long did you stay on 40 before going back to 20?

SomeKindOfNone
09-15-14, 05:39 PM
2-3 weeks I think. I guess I should at least have started on 30 mg before moving up to 40 mg. I'm trying that tomorrow. 20 is not that effective anymore, but just because you don't actually feel the pill working doesn't mean that it has no effect on your adhd. It becomes less noticeable after awhile but you can sure feel the difference once you're without the meds. Like Little Missy said sometimes less is more. Personally I would recommend switching back to 27 mg since it already worked for you. But then again, I'm no doctor... yet!!

HKM416
09-15-14, 05:51 PM
I think I am just going to wait for a bit and see. Today is my 3rd day on it and i'm feeling a little bit better.

Im still feeling a bit drowsy and zombie but its not as bad as the 1st and 2nd day.

Pilgrim
09-15-14, 06:01 PM
The Zombie and Drowsiest thing is normally to much medication.

HKM416
09-15-14, 06:45 PM
The Zombie and Drowsiest thing is normally to much medication.

So I guess going back to 27 mg would be smarter than trying to get adjusted to 36 mg ?

SomeKindOfNone
09-16-14, 03:52 AM
I would think that staying with a too high of a dose would also build up some unwanted tolerance to the meds.

Corina86
09-16-14, 04:44 AM
So I guess going back to 27 mg would be smarter than trying to get adjusted to 36 mg ?

Basically, yes.

HKM416
10-01-14, 10:21 AM
Ok so just to share personal experience i will post again on this thread.

So after all recommendations , i decided to stay on 36MG for two weeks..things were getting kinda better but all of a sudden i started experiencing some kind of ''Crashes''.

I was feeling alright for the first 3-4 hours then i would feel like ''total crap'' for the rest of the day. So i finally decided that i've had enough of this and went back to 27MG.

I've been back on 27MG for two days now. I thought that everything would be back to normal but it looks like not.

I've noticed that while i was on the 36Mg i wasn't eating very well tho. I was eating 2 meals a day and i was fine and i was used to eat MUCH more than that. My appetite is slowly coming back now that i'm on 27 tho.. So maybe i'll begin to feel good again in the next days.