View Full Version : Anyone who takes Wellbutrin and stimulants?

butterz
09-16-14, 09:26 PM
Hello!
I have been taking ritalin LA (usually 20-40mgs per day) and sometimes I also use 10-15mg instant ritalin at a time. I now want to add wellbutrin.
I will start with 150mg first. My doc thinks this is a good idea. Wellbutrin is supposed to augment Lexapro which alone isn't doing much.

Anyway, my concern is that I read that wellbutrin + ritalin can be really strong and potentiate the ritalin so much that it becomes intolerable. How likely is this? Does this mean that once I start with wellbutrin I basically have to start introducing ritalin at the lowest possible dose and then work my way up to see how it works now? And how long does wellbutrin take to reach full effect?

Another concern is that I read that wellbutrin + ritalin together increases the already present seizure risk of wellbutrin. I usually drink 1 beer or 1 glass of wine at night, would this still be possible or too risky because of seizures?

Fjdms123
09-16-14, 10:44 PM
In my experience, Wellbutrin makes Adderall last longer, smoothes the cooldown, but at the same time dampers the effects.

I no longer need Adderall, though, as Wellbutrin (with the addition of caffeine) allows me to focus, stay motivated and feel good while doing it. No anxiety either.

Would not worry about seizures unless you're already at risk for them. I've taken 300mg wellbutrin + 25mg adderall + .5mg ativan + caffeine at the same time and felt fine...bit euphoric, but with that stack anybody would be.

SSRIs for us ADHDers are probably a bad option. Our issue lies with dopamine. Increasing serotonin will just decrease dopamine.

And how long does wellbutrin take to reach full effect?

Oh, the big question. Lets see. My first two weeks were pretty much hell. Anxiety and depression worsened. Three weeks in and there was a moderate effect, each day was a bit better. Five weeks in now and loving it. All side effects gone.

Side effects I had STARTING wellbutrin:
-Depression worsened
-Anxiety worsened
-Brain fog
-Depersonalization
-Fatigue

All of those are gone, in fact each one improved tenfold.

butterz
09-16-14, 11:40 PM
Hello, so you only take wellbutrin + adderall and it helps against your depression? I don't know what kind of depression you have. I have depression,anxiety,ocd. In theory SSRIs should be effective against that but they are not. My ocd isn't better and I cannot tell if I'm less depressed since I'm not depressed the same way all the time. What's weird is that your depression got worse at first.

I have taken wellbutrin 300mg for 6 weeks in the past without any other drugs and back then it didn't do much. But my doc thinks that adding wellbutrin to lexapro would make sense. I thought so too. But what scares me now is that I read a few really scary articles which mentioned cases of people who were on a ritalin + wellbutrin combination who got major seizures or heart attacks! There's even an article which mentions a teenager getting a heart attack from ritalin + wellbutrin. This is really damn scary. And he wasn't abusing it. He was on 200mg wellbutrin and 30 mg ritalin. That's not that much.

From ritalin alone I didn't get any side effects other than an elevated pulse sometimes but I also drink coffee. But I don't know what happens if I now add wellbutrin. I don't even know if as long as you check your pulse and blood pressure you're safe or if such a combo is still dangerous for the heart even if pulse and blood pressure are normal.

Pilgrim
09-17-14, 12:52 AM
I am quite interested in this combination.
I've tried SSRI with Concerta and don't really like it.

Problem is the doctor won't give me Wellbutrin and Concerta.

He says there are similar properties

Fjdms123
09-17-14, 01:35 AM
Hello, so you only take wellbutrin + adderall and it helps against your depression? I don't know what kind of depression you have. I have depression,anxiety,ocd. In theory SSRIs should be effective against that but they are not. My ocd isn't better and I cannot tell if I'm less depressed since I'm not depressed the same way all the time. What's weird is that your depression got worse at first.

I have taken wellbutrin 300mg for 6 weeks in the past without any other drugs and back then it didn't do much. But my doc thinks that adding wellbutrin to lexapro would make sense. I thought so too. But what scares me now is that I read a few really scary articles which mentioned cases of people who were on a ritalin + wellbutrin combination who got major seizures or heart attacks! There's even an article which mentions a teenager getting a heart attack from ritalin + wellbutrin. This is really damn scary. And he wasn't abusing it. He was on 200mg wellbutrin and 30 mg ritalin. That's not that much.

From ritalin alone I didn't get any side effects other than an elevated pulse sometimes but I also drink coffee. But I don't know what happens if I now add wellbutrin. I don't even know if as long as you check your pulse and blood pressure you're safe or if such a combo is still dangerous for the heart even if pulse and blood pressure are normal.

Adderall makes my depression worse. Wellbutrin alone is enough. Adderall is good for 6 hours and it's hell from there, even with the Wellbutrin. Adderall before the wellbutrin, well, lets say googling suicide methods was reality.

You sound over paranoid over stuff you read. Quit reading about these rare side effects and scary events, it only adds to your obsessive thoughts.

I am quite interested in this combination.
I've tried SSRI with Concerta and don't really like it.

Problem is the doctor won't give me Wellbutrin and Concerta.

He says there are similar properties

They have the same mechanism - DA and NE reuptake inhibitor. I think, if anything, wellbutrin will make the Concerta/Ritalin stronger, make it last longer, and make the comedown not so bad.

Wellbutrin partially inhibits amphetamines from working, in the same way cocaine works against methamphetamine. You'd think wellbutrin would make adderall stronger, but no, it makes it weaker but it lasts longer. It's a good combo for focusing. Prepare the benzos for comedown!

I've never tried a SSRI so I cannot comment there, I have no need for one and are not a fan of the side effects they cause.

**Methylphenidate (Ritalin/Concerta) is not an amphetamine

Pilgrim
09-21-14, 08:53 AM
Hey thanx for that Fjdms123. That info is invaluable .

corporatemess
10-21-14, 05:03 PM
I just recently started taking wellbutrin xl 150mg once a day almost a week ago (tomorrow start x2 daily), and also dexedrine spansules 10mg x2 daily. Used to treat some difficult combinations. BPD, GAD, Dystemia, ADHD, SAD... haha... Any way, it has been a brutal past 3 days. Slipping into catatonic like depressive states for a few hours, getting normal'ish, and then going back into it. Rinse and repeat the next few days.

Also exhaustion from the lack of sleep, it's been difficult to determine the exact cause of all of that. However, it could just be a cocktail mixture of everything. Today has been all right so far. The dexedrine seems to be helping for focus, although it just doesn't seem to work long enough throughout the day. And I miss coffee, I feel tired. And it seems pointless to even take it at the moment, as I still cannot seem to get any work done, so I am focusing on nothing half of the day until it wears off. Still lots of wordiness however. Will see if once the wellbutrin actually starts to take affect, if that weird mental block will go away, so I can actually get some work done.

I have oddly had this strange desire to constantly check up my conditions, research, evaluate my symptoms, analyse them. All day. Being extremely efficient and effective at being unproductive. But, I have no desire to do anything. work, study, watch tv or play video games. Workout, run. Nothing.

I really hate the side effects from the meds. The dry mouth, slightly increased heart rate (just do some breathing exercises to calm it down), insomnia, exhaustion, increased depression, decrease in working memory (forgetting words, forgetting what I was just doing). Slightly more fidgety, but quite calm. The increased irritability seems to have finally mitigated, I think. I was already easily irritated before the meds though, just seemed slightly more irritable. Depersonalization. Not sure exactly what will go away as a side effect, and what will always be there. I also have this constant unending feeling of fatigue that just wont go away. Not tired, just mentally drained. Almost like a cloud over the brain. It's been like that since I can remember. Not sure if that will go away once the wellbutrin kicks in or not.

add_me
04-04-15, 01:36 PM
Anybody here taking 300mg of generic Wellbutrin XL and 30 mg of generic Adderall XR daily? Do it feel like too much? I get every edgy from the Adderall and have yet to take the combo more than three days in a row. How long does it take to get used the drug combo?

Killface1981
05-27-15, 08:18 AM
60 mg of dexedrine and 150 mg of wellbutrin. I used to take the namebrand 300 mg wellbutrin(and 30 mg of Adderall XR namebrand) cause when he had tons of bottles as samples, and I had no insurance, I got around 8 months worth. I had just lost my insurance and trying to help me(also got tons of samples of campral and lunesta since I admitted I was a huge drunk and trying to quit.)

He told me to wait a few weeks before I took the wellbutrin and definitely not drink the day before.

My insomnia went to Christian Bale in the Machinist levels... and I would sometimes be manically happy where people thought that I was on hard drugs, and stuck in a mania of awesomeness... it lasted two or three weeks until I stopped taking the wellbutrin. I felt normal and better overall.

Even though I do take wellbutrin, I really don't take it every day... just if I feel like depression might be impending. I doubt it's healthy, but I'm in great health so far. I can sleep on wellbutrin now, but only causes mild nervousness, a stomach ache, and the occasional headache. Bright lights in certain stores... makes me feel like I'm going at the speed of light.

JustfixME
06-03-15, 11:05 AM
I've been taking Wellbutrin SR and D-amp for at least 10 yrs, it hasn't hurt, but I wish I felt like the first time I took these!!!

bldt
07-02-15, 02:52 PM
Anybody here taking 300mg of generic Wellbutrin XL and 30 mg of generic Adderall XR daily? Do it feel like too much? I get every edgy from the Adderall and have yet to take the combo more than three days in a row. How long does it take to get used the drug combo?

I take 60mg adderall xr with 300 mg of wellbutrin xl and have been doing very well with that, except sometimes I think maybe it's a bit much and I have been thinking of dropping the adderall too, but I also suspect it could be the wellbutin that gives me the edgeness.I was wondering why you feel it's definitely the adderall that's making you edgy.

BioLiberate
09-27-15, 01:29 PM
I take 300mg Bupropion each morning. I have IR Adderall, the crash from even a small dose can suck pretty bad. For instance, taking 10mg, 2.5 hours later taking another 10mg, and then 10mg 5 hours later, will result in me feeling terrible by night-time.

Of course, lots of things can help the crash... I started Bupropion before adderall, so I don't know what its like to take adderall w/o Buproprion. However, being hydrated and well fed helps the crash. Sometimes I'll take 150 Bupropion towards the end of the day, but I'm not sure that it helps too much.

Its also my understanding that Bupropion produces amphetamines on its own. (Why it can be helpful for ADD people who also have mood swings or depression)

karbouris
09-27-15, 02:29 PM
Holy crap 300mgs?! I can't handle that much without become paranoid and my OCD going through the roof!

Frustrated One
09-27-15, 03:10 PM
I was recently on Wellbutrin. I had never been on any med before and it didn't do anything. No change in moods, no increased concentration, no side effects, NOTHING. I was on 100 mg for two weeks, 200 mg for the next two and 400 mg for the last two. Called the pdoc last week and told him it wasn't working, so I quit. Have been off it for 4 days. Not sure how it works in combo with another med, but it dd nothing for me.

BioLiberate
09-28-15, 11:39 AM
Holy crap 300mgs?! I can't handle that much without become paranoid and my OCD going through the roof!

Its different for everyone depending on how many conditions you have... It often works well for people with a combination of ADD/Depression. It only has a mild effect on me. I only really notice it when I go off.

I was recently on Wellbutrin. I had never been on any med before and it didn't do anything. No change in moods, no increased concentration, no side effects, NOTHING. I was on 100 mg for two weeks, 200 mg for the next two and 400 mg for the last two. Called the pdoc last week and told him it wasn't working, so I quit. Have been off it for 4 days. Not sure how it works in combo with another med, but it dd nothing for me.

I thought the same thing until I went off the medication. I'm stable on 300 but for a while I was on 450. It can take several weeks for the Buproprion to take full effect.

Frustrated One
10-03-15, 03:29 AM
I thought the same thing until I went off the medication. I'm stable on 300 but for a while I was on 450. It can take several weeks for the Buproprion to take full effect.

I have been off it for 8 days now. Still no effect either way. I have heard it takes 4-6 weeks to take effect, but 6 was enough for me. I wanted to start something else that may work for my body. Unfortunately, I will have to wait for my follow-up at the end of this month to see if there is anything else he will prescribe that might make a difference.

Bouncingoffwall
03-09-16, 11:53 AM
I have been off it for 8 days now. Still no effect either way. I have heard it takes 4-6 weeks to take effect, but 6 was enough for me. I wanted to start something else that may work for my body. Unfortunately, I will have to wait for my follow-up at the end of this month to see if there is anything else he will prescribe that might make a difference.

I was on it for four months, and it only had negative effects, including: lack of motivation, fatigue and delayed ejaculation. It did nothing for my ADHD symptoms.

aeon
03-09-16, 03:42 PM
60mg dextroamphetamine per day + 450mg bupropion per day makes me...functional.

Cheers,
Ian

missclairol
06-02-16, 10:32 PM
I am on 30 mg vyvanese and 150mg twice daily, 12 hours apart. I find it helps, no crashing and improves my mood when I get frustrated with some of the add symptoms. Eg,focus,losing thing. Lol

badwolf616
06-02-16, 11:18 PM
i have just recently been diagnosed and havent started taking any meds for adhd, however i have been taking meds for depression for a long time. im currently taking effexor and about 3 months ago started also taking welbutrin. i was having some issues i felt may had been caused by the effexor losing its effect so the dr added the welbutrin to boost it. this worked for what i needed however ive now started to notice some interesting side effects

first as i said ive just recently been diagnosed with adhd but the reason i went ahead and sought help was because since starting the welbutrin my adhd symptoms have gotten so much worse. i cant concentrate on anything at work. its gotten really bad. distractions are everywhere, especially the internet. my short term memory is also gotten way worse.

also ive started to really notice the constant static in my head. its like theres thoughts behind thoughts behind thoughts that i have no control over. i never noticed it before the wellbutrin. was it there before? not sure.

my hands shake. not a constant thing but i notice it a lot during the afternoon. also i have to pee like every 30 minutes. and im sweating just typing this post. i sweat all the time now, so annoying. those three things are listed side effects of wellbutrin. i see my new psych dr tomorrow and find out what my treatment options are, i think im going to tell her i dont want to take the wellbutrim anymore