View Full Version : What foods/supps are Ok in the gap in-between?

orangello
09-18-14, 09:56 AM
Like I've said in other posts, I'm taking my Dex IR in 4 hr intervals - 7am, 11am, 3pm.

For best effectiveness, I see you should avoid food for about 45 mins after a dose, and about 1 hr before a dose. So given the gap between 7:45am to 10am, are there any foods or supplements that should still be avoided?

I see that Magnesium is a good supplement to take while on this stuff (for avoiding tolerance) but there are a few posts elsewhere of folks who only take it at the end of the day, after there will be no more meds. Is this because Magnesium does something to reduce the effectiveness of the Dex after it's absorbed and gets to the bloodstream?

Likewise, what about highly acidic things like OJ during that 7:45-10am gap? Do they still affect the med even after it's been dissolved and absorbed?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Flory
09-18-14, 10:49 AM
Fish oil never hurt anybody :) use Eskimo oil if you can get it, sourced from low mercury zones

Traveler5
09-18-14, 06:08 PM
I've never heard of the one hour "no eat" rule before and after taking Dex. It doesn't matter for me anyway since I usually take Dex on an empty stomach and don't eat for at least an hour after taking a dose. I suppose fluids and supplements are fine in between. Like Flory, I also take a fish oil capsule each day in addition to a multi-vitamin.

orangello
09-18-14, 10:12 PM
I found it; here' the post that states that magnesium should not be taken with your meds until late in the day when they're done:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60820

I have no opinion on the optimal dose, but I have one on timing: assuming that a partial NMDA antagonist like magnesium can in fact help with amphetamine tolerance (and I believe it can), then it should be taken when you aren't taking stims.

(there's also 3 other posters in that thread - mincan & kryptical & 425runner - who said they take their magnesium late in the day because taking near the med can kill it's effectiveness)

HADDaball
09-19-14, 06:54 AM
most food n supps should be fine - maybe go easy on the fatty stuff

Can't say about juice - don't drink it usually

dag nab it
09-19-14, 10:11 PM
I've discovered that liquid nutrition around the same time as taking Dex does NOT ruin Dex's effectiveness. I take my morning coffee with milk, plus a teaspoon of whey protein powder. This might work out because liquids leave the stomach much more quickly than solid foods. It's the stomach motility issue I alluded to in my other response -

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164509

You need to eat some protein and fat in between. Avoid urine acidifying foods - but small quantities of them might be fine.

I don't eat blueberries during the day while on Dex - I did it once and it was as if I had not taken the meds at all! I haven't ventured to try it again - not wanting to "waste" the medication. It would be a good idea to keep a food log, so that you can judge for yourself what helps and what hinders.

Dex spansules might work out better for you, especially with regard to meals.

If the following sounds dizzying, ignore this for now, but - if you are into the pharmacology, read up on cytochrome P450 (CYP) and what induces and what inhibits certain medications (drug and food interactions).

sarahsweets
09-22-14, 05:54 AM
I used to take it on an empty stomach and eat whenever I felt ready-whether that was a half hour or 2 hours after didn't matter.

Heba213
10-15-14, 06:43 AM
Is powerade and dex OK? Water makes me thirsty oddly.

sarahsweets
10-17-14, 09:52 AM
Also hydrate-hydrate-hydrate!