View Full Version : Thinking of going to the doctor

sushigirl
09-23-14, 09:19 AM
Hi everyone, I have been reading your posts for a while and I registered this morning. Sorry for my english, i'm french! :D

I have been diagnosed with depression last may and I always suffered from anxiety.

By pure chance, I stumble upon an article last week about adhd. It hit me like a slap in the face! It was a mixed feeling of relief and fear.

My problem is in Quebec, Canada, it is hard to get diagnosed with add. You have to go through your family doctor and they are not as equiped to diagnose you.

I have a lot of the symptoms but not all. I'll write down my symptoms and it would be kind of you to let me know what you think I can have add:

1.When I drive, I am rarely there. I'm lucky that I didn't have any accident so far. I'm always daydreaming when driving. Can't remember how I got somewhere.

2. Hard time concentrating for a long time.

3. At work I make a lot of mistakes. I work with numbers and I make silly, inattentive mistakes, but a lot.

4. When I try to tell a story or explain a movie or book, it comes out so wrong! all mixed up so after a few minutes, i stop talking.

5. It takes me so much energy to go out with friends because I have to concentrate to listen to them.

6. I never hear what people tell me. It's like if I zone out and I have to make them repeat or I just let it go and I don't have a clue what they told me. Causing a lot of problem in my marriage...

7. Most of the time, I can't even remember if I treated a case at work. I have to go back in the file and see for myself that I did it. When I revise myself it's always full of mistakes.

8. If I don't do something at the exact time I think about it, I will forget to do it.

9. I don't have a lot of order in my house, because I procrastinate a lot.

10. I forget a lot...

11. My facial tics are getting worse

12. I have to take a lot of notes to remember things. My 30 or so purses are full of notes, i have them everywhere!

13. Get frustrated very easily

14. Stumble often, no balance when standing up

15. I'm sure i'm forgetting a lot of things, symptoms wise...;)

But...

1. I don't have a hard time reading and concentrating when doing it
2. I don't have a hard time watching tv, even if I can't remember what happened a few days ago...
3. I don't misplace my keys, phone, ...

What do you think? I always thought that i was just a special lost person! When I red selfhelp books and they were saying to live at the present moment and i coudn't do it, it was so frustrating. Like if I was not normal.

If I actually have add, I don't know if medications really makes a difference. Or you just learn to accept yourself and live with your symptoms till you die?

Thank you for reading me and giving me your opinion...

Corina86
09-24-14, 10:44 AM
Nobody can put a diagnosis through the Internet, though it appears you do have a lot of symptoms. Do you take any medication for depression and anxiety? Because those can cause ADHD-like symptoms as well. If you feel that your symptoms are causing you serious impairment, then you should seek an ADHD- diagnosis with a psychiatrist. Medication helps some people more than others, depending on how you react to it, but it doesn't fix all the issues and has side-effects.

Flory
09-24-14, 11:36 AM
A lot of the inattention symptoms for depression are similar to ADHD but completely different causes. ADHD would have been present from childhood and have impaired your education, home life, relationships etc etc

Wishing you all the best recovering from depressiong

dvdnvwls
09-24-14, 01:20 PM
I think when you see your family doctor, what you're looking for is to be referred to a psychiatrist. I may be wrong. In my case, this meant that my family-doctor visit was only a general description of my symptoms, after which he arranged for me to be able to see a psychiatrist, who I then had to call to set up an appointment. That was in BC - things may be different in Quebec.

sushigirl
09-24-14, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Just as you know, I'm taking meds for my depression/anxiety and my symptoms are under control.

I saw my family doctor and as I thought, he didn't see the point to refer me to a psychiatrist.

He made me complete a test and said that I have a high chance of having adhd-I. So he prescribed me Vyvanse off the bat, which makes me nervous because people said that I should be diagnosed by a psychiatrist!

Corina86
09-24-14, 04:45 PM
It's not that you should be diagnosed by a psychiatrist, it's just that in many countries only a psychiatrist can put a psychiatric diagnosis. If you're not sure about the diagnosis or about the medication, you're not obliged to take it. You can read as much as you want about ADHD, other disorders and medication- there's plenty of information around here, as well as other places on the Internet. Many other forum members take or took Vyvanse- there's a sub-forum in the medications section of the forum.

sushigirl
09-24-14, 06:29 PM
It's not that you should be diagnosed by a psychiatrist, it's just that in many countries only a psychiatrist can put a psychiatric diagnosis. If you're not sure about the diagnosis or about the medication, you're not obliged to take it. You can read as much as you want about ADHD, other disorders and medication- there's plenty of information around here, as well as other places on the Internet. Many other forum members take or took Vyvanse- there's a sub-forum in the medications section of the forum.

Aaaah, i get it! I really thought that only the psychiatrist could diagnosed someone! Now I'm relieved :)

Thanks!