View Full Version : I thought I'd found the perfect alarm clock alternative . . .

OhLookABunny
09-23-14, 01:19 PM
. . . but now I've run into a snag.

I have several sleep problems - brain won't shut off, night owl propensities, etc. for starters. Sleep apnea - I do not want a CPAP so I've trained myself to sleep on my side and to be aware and wake and reposition if I snore or gasp. And I guess I just don't like mornings ever since I was a kid and mornings meant school, or later, work at whatever crappy job I was struggling to hold down before I said screw it and got on disability.

I also have PTSD enough that I can't stand loud, harsh, and sudden types of alarms (or even clock-radio where I don't know what'll be playing at the moment it goes off). My heart feels like it's going to blow up with the adrenaline a startle response shoots through my veins. :eek:

So when I got a new cell phone (not smartphone but has a few functions like one), I found it had a nice alarm feature. I could set the sound to chimes and bird tweets, adjust the volume, and it wasn't too bad. But the drawback is this: I have to be more precise that I used to with my old clock-radio that I could put a new-age cassette tape into - until it broke, that is. I have to be able, in my fumbly minded and fumbly handed state, to locate the cell phone, pick it up without accidentally touching the screen - then touch "snooze" (I always need to wake up in stages, too, so snooze is an essential). I've been so tired these mornings that I invariably screw it up and then the snooze doesn't work right and I wake up a couple of hours later, angry and frustrated and ashamed of how pathetic I am for not being able to get up in the morning like "normal people." :(

Right now I'm just venting . . . I have one idea, and that is that I guess I'm going to have to start practicing. Setting the thing every morning even if it's not a morning I have to be up early for anything. Maybe it'll retrain my brain. I had been attempting to get to bed earlier, with mixed success. The summer has been busy-crazy and I've got creative things I want to do, learning I want to take in both online and from books, friend and family crisis situations and the world situation on my mind.

dvdnvwls
09-23-14, 02:45 PM
If on Android, try "Gentle Alarm" (available in google play store). It automates the task of gradually adjusting the volume and waking you in stages.

OhLookABunny
09-23-14, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the tip - I don't have Android yet - this is just an LG840G Tracfone. But if I get an Android tablet, which I'm hoping to, that will be worth looking into. :)

For now, I'll try the setting it for every morning thing and report back how that goes along. If I can reset my body clock just enough that I can wake and be coherent and not sluggish and klutzy, I may be on my way. Right now the doctor's decreasing my thyroid dosage, and I'm hoping we'll get it right one of these days.

And the days are shorter on both ends here in the Northern Hemisphere. No help there until the Daylight Savings time change. The house where I am staying is next to another house on the south and at some times of the year the sun is positioned so I get morning light and find it easier to wake earlier. But that seems to be over for awhile . . . I need to keep track of which months that happens.

OhLookABunny
09-27-14, 10:21 AM
Progress! :yes:

I set daily alarms. A couple of days I think I slept through them, but that was because I forgot to put the phone by my bed - probably couldn't hear it through my purse, LOL! They were just "practice" days, nothing important I needed to get up for.

But today, a guy from church is going to put spark plugs in my vehicle so I absolutely HAD to be up at the time he was coming by. So I set the phone alarm for 6:00 a.m. and did 15-minute snoozes till 7:00 a.m. Good thing I did this. I was able to be coherent when he called earlier than expected, 8:00 instead of 8:30, and I was able to ease into getting up and be up and about before he got here.

Tomorrow is church so I'll be doing my Sunday settings - 6:00 a.m. with 30-minute snoozes till 8:00 a.m. ;) That gives me enough time to be up awhile then have breakfast around 9:00, get dressed and head off to 10:30 Mass (I usually get there early to get a good parking place and have time to say some prayers and such.)

Monday I'll do like I did today and start the weekday brain training program.

Flory
09-27-14, 10:47 AM
There's a great app with an alarm that works on your sleep cycles if you can get a hold of it.

Ideally I need my alarm connected to a bucket of water above my bed ;)

daveddd
09-27-14, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_0NoRHOEM

RobboW
09-28-14, 09:22 AM
I also have an Android phone. The stock alarm app is good. It keeps snoozing automatically for me. I have many different alarm times like workdays, put the bins out every Thursday night, get up for church on Sunday etc etc and I use a non annoying alarm tone (more than one).

I used to set it the same every day. This trained my body clock to wake me around the same time most days unless I had unusual circumstances that threw my system out. Now that I'm used to that I change the alarm to suit what I need and can wake up usually easily as needed depending on circumstance.

Little Missy
09-28-14, 09:23 AM
Crazy. I've never needed an alarm clock in my life.

sarahsweets
09-28-14, 11:52 AM
I am the sleep Nazi due to years of insomnia and had to retrain myself. I get up at the same time everyday and go to bed in the same window every night. So for me I get up between 4-6am and go to bed between 10-12. EVERY NIGHT. Even if I am up extra late I still wake up at the same time. Its all about the body clock and not so much about how many hours you bank. Also, no naps! Your body will adjust. It took me nearly a year to get it right but it was worth it.

BellaVita
09-28-14, 11:58 AM
I am the sleep Nazi due to years of insomnia and had to retrain myself. I get up at the same time everyday and go to bed in the same window every night. So for me I get up between 4-6am and go to bed between 10-12. EVERY NIGHT. Even if I am up extra late I still wake up at the same time. Its all about the body clock and not so much about how many hours you bank. Also, no naps! Your body will adjust. It took me nearly a year to get it right but it was worth it.

Unless you have delayed sleep phase disorder, Wikipedia even explains how it can not be (even with treatment) corrected when very severe. And studies have shown that the most it can be corrected with lots of treatment (for milder cases) is moving back the bed time by 2 hours.

I'm so glad to have learned this and that I haven't been some weirdo my whole life for naturally falling asleep between the hours of 4-7am. And I've tried almost every sleeping pill and treatment available - even the one you suggested. For years. I am so relieved to have discovered what is truly wrong with me. (Along with my many other things lol)

It's our natural body time to sleep, we just have a flipped internal body clock but otherwise normal.

Wrenchman
09-28-14, 12:01 PM
My alarm clock is set a hour earlier than I need to get up.... I snooze it until it is time to get up... I have an appointment next month with a dr. to schedule a sleep study to see if I need a CPAP.... I fear I do after reading the OP post . :)

sarahsweets
09-28-14, 03:11 PM
I agree with you. The real trick is finding the window of time your body wants to sleep. And don't buy into the idea that everyone needs 8 hours. When I had my sleep study the doc said that some people just naturally need less sleep. I need 5-6 hours any more and I wake up tired and screwy all day.

Unless you have delayed sleep phase disorder, Wikipedia even explains how it can not be (even with treatment) corrected when very severe. And studies have shown that the most it can be corrected with lots of treatment (for milder cases) is moving back the bed time by 2 hours.

I'm so glad to have learned this and that I haven't been some weirdo my whole life for naturally falling asleep between the hours of 4-7am. And I've tried almost every sleeping pill and treatment available - even the one you suggested. For years. I am so relieved to have discovered what is truly wrong with me. (Along with my many other things lol)

It's our natural body time to sleep, we just have a flipped internal body clock but otherwise normal.

Lizzie80
09-28-14, 11:03 PM
I agree with you. The real trick is finding the window of time your body wants to sleep. And don't buy into the idea that everyone needs 8 hours. When I had my sleep study the doc said that some people just naturally need less sleep. I need 5-6 hours any more and I wake up tired and screwy all day.

Same here, regarding that 8-hours-of-sleep-a-night-is-necessary stuff. I also feel groggy and take forever to "get going" in the day if I sleep more than 5 to 6 hours of sleep. Actually, it was your comment several months ago on another board, about the sleep study you had done, SarahSweets, that caused me to reevaluate this old-school advice about 8 hours for myself. I'd always tried to sleep 8 or 9 hours a night, and thought that was best. Maybe for some, it is. For me, I'm far more focused and "raring to go" when I quit sleeping at 6 hours, max. I set my alarm and make myself get up at the same time each morning (per your advice- and you were right). I get a lot more done and feel much better physically with 5-6 hour sleep cycles.

I exercise vigorously 45-70 minutes a day, go to college full-time, study an ungodly amount of hours per day, and all of this hasn't changed my sleep requirement. I owe you one for passing on your own experience! :)

I look at that overarching sleep advice by the "experts" like the old drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day thing...too generic a piece of advice to help everyone or to be applicable to all! :D

Lizzie80
09-28-14, 11:31 PM

I agree, the lovely BellaVita. I admit I'm reluctant to call being an "extreme night owl" (my phrase) by any kind of disorder-based name. I think that this "disorder" add-on implies in and of itself we can be "treated". Pish, posh. To the best of my knowledge, too, there is NO permanent treatment for being a night owl/having DSPD. My doctor agrees, and thinks sleep meds and light box treatments are generally over-prescribed, because of society's warped demand for everyone to conform to a diurnal schedule.

Ambien (for example) actually made me wired if I attempted to take it at a "normal" hour, like 10:30 p.m. I'd lay in bed, try to sleep on that stuff as prescribed, and instead find myself feeling more energized than I felt all day long. Then I'd end up cleaning the house, resetting the computer modem for high-speed-Internet-time improvement, and doing all sorts of other crazy home-improvement tasks! I eventually swore off ALL sleep "aids", because when I follow my own body's best sleep schedule, I feel fine. I go to sleep easily, sleep comfortably through the night several hours, and do not oversleep.

I now go to bed around 2 a.m., maybe 3 a.m., and do make myself wake up at 8 a.m. by my alarm clock. Six hours is my own optimal sleep period; people should experiment to find their own natural cycle. Any earlier than 8 a.m. wakeup call, I feel sick to my stomach all morning long, exhausted all day, get headachy, am unmotivated. Whether I took my ADD med or not, I feel like crud if I woke up too early. There have been plenty of times that 7 a.m. is when I've fallen asleep, before I started working out vigorously each day about four months ago. That does help a bit. Now I'm sleepy at 2 a.m., instead of 5 or 7 a.m.! But I'll never be a 10 p.m.-4 a.m. sleeper. Not without a barbiturate, that is. (God forbid!) :faint:

And I also dealt with the Puritanical judgment about this night owl-ism, from grade school on up. The "You're so lazy, undisciplined, depressed [snap judgment, anyone?]"...etc. What a pain in the neck! Like you, I'm so thankful to have moved passed that feeling of being an oddball, the guilt complex which came with it, and trying to fix myself all the time. I'm proud to stick up for my own needs- and that of other night owls. We're needed for all the night work the world has nowadays, anyway! :D

BellaVita
09-29-14, 12:53 AM
I agree, the lovely BellaVita. I admit I'm reluctant to call being an "extreme night owl" (my phrase) by any kind of disorder-based name. I think that this "disorder" add-on implies in and of itself we can be "treated". Pish, posh. To the best of my knowledge, too, there is NO permanent treatment for being a night owl/having DSPD. My doctor agrees, and thinks sleep meds and light box treatments are generally over-prescribed, because of society's warped demand for everyone to conform to a diurnal schedule.

Ambien (for example) actually made me wired if I attempted to take it at a "normal" hour, like 10:30 p.m. I'd lay in bed, try to sleep on that stuff as prescribed, and instead find myself feeling more energized than I felt all day long. Then I'd end up cleaning the house, resetting the computer modem for high-speed-Internet-time improvement, and doing all sorts of other crazy home-improvement tasks! I eventually swore off ALL sleep "aids", because when I follow my own body's best sleep schedule, I feel fine. I go to sleep easily, sleep comfortably through the night several hours, and do not oversleep.

I now go to bed around 2 a.m., maybe 3 a.m., and do make myself wake up at 8 a.m. by my alarm clock. Six hours is my own optimal sleep period; people should experiment to find their own natural cycle. Any earlier than 8 a.m. wakeup call, I feel sick to my stomach all morning long, exhausted all day, get headachy, am unmotivated. Whether I took my ADD med or not, I feel like crud if I woke up too early. There have been plenty of times that 7 a.m. is when I've fallen asleep, before I started working out vigorously each day about four months ago. That does help a bit. Now I'm sleepy at 2 a.m., instead of 5 or 7 a.m.! But I'll never be a 10 p.m.-4 a.m. sleeper. Not without a barbiturate, that is. (God forbid!) :faint:

And I also dealt with the Puritanical judgment about this night owl-ism, from grade school on up. The "You're so lazy, undisciplined, depressed [snap judgment, anyone?]"...etc. What a pain in the neck! Like you, I'm so thankful to have moved passed that feeling of being an oddball, the guilt complex which came with it, and trying to fix myself all the time. I'm proud to stick up for my own needs- and that of other night owls. We're needed for all the night work the world has nowadays, anyway! :D

Yep!!

My dog is even on the same schedule as me :D No harm.

Yeah, they sure do need us for the night shifts!

It truly is freeing not to be bound to what society calls normal.

Lizzie FTW!!! :D

Lizzie80
09-29-14, 06:19 AM
I also have an Android phone. The stock alarm app is good. It keeps snoozing automatically for me. I have many different alarm times like workdays, put the bins out every Thursday night, get up for church on Sunday etc etc and I use a non annoying alarm tone (more than one).

I used to set it the same every day. This trained my body clock to wake me around the same time most days unless I had unusual circumstances that threw my system out. Now that I'm used to that I change the alarm to suit what I need and can wake up usually easily as needed depending on circumstance.

Yep, alarms and timers are truly a best friend! I would have burned many a dinner, boiled over many a pot of tea, and forgotten many a load of laundry in the washer without alarms/timers. I have a timer on my watch, my phone, my computer, etc. Scary how much I need them! :)

psychopathetic
09-29-14, 08:53 AM
I don't know how I survived without my cell phone!

lol now all I have to do is hold down a button for a couple seconds and say, "wake me up at seven thirty" or whatever time, and it automatically sets the alarm for me.
All I have to do to 'snooze' is to tap the screen...and it goes 8 minutes between the snoozes which has been just about right for me.

I usually try to set my alarm at least an hour before I need to be up like Wrenchman (usually 1 1/2 hours...cause dam I'm slow!)...though I don't know why I bother. I usually end up snoozing till I've only got like 10 minutes to go anyhow! lol :giggle:

It took me a long time to find an alarm sound I liked...another thing I love about having a smart phone...being able to pick out your own alarm sound.
I needed something loud enough to actually wake me...without jerking me out of my sleep. I don't want to wake to a heart attack every freaking morning! lol
I ended up finding a nice gentle song...it sounds like a music box. No way to explain it! lol...it's loud enough to cut through 2 fans blowing on me at high though, while still being gentle enough not to scared the crap out of me! :lol:

Oh! Found it on youtube!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hwnl0eQtC-0?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

lol sometimes if I need to do something really important in the morning, I'll set 3 or 4 alarms. :lol: Just to make certain I don't do anything stupid like turn the alarm off just to fall back asleep accidentally (it's happened!).

Anyhow, I SO hear you on the cpap machine! I have apnea as well, and absolutely hated the thing! I just couldn't do it :(.
And do you have hypo, or hyper-thyroidism? I'm hypo...lol crazy we have both in common! Though I'm pretty bad about taking the dang pills like I'm suppose to.

And are you on any meds for your ADHD?
My meds (adderall) really help with the whole 'sluggishness' thing in the mornings when I've gotta be up and moving.

Anyhow, hope you can get an android tablet someday! There's all sorts of neat things out there for them as far as alarms and such go! Glad you're working on a system with what you've got now though...hope it works out for you!

Lizzie80
09-30-14, 03:45 AM
I don't know how I survived without my cell phone!

lol now all I have to do is hold down a button for a couple seconds and say, "wake me up at seven thirty" or whatever time, and it automatically sets the alarm for me.
All I have to do to 'snooze' is to tap the screen...and it goes 8 minutes between the snoozes which has been just about right for me.

I usually try to set my alarm at least an hour before I need to be up like Wrenchman (usually 1 1/2 hours...cause dam I'm slow!)...though I don't know why I bother. I usually end up snoozing till I've only got like 10 minutes to go anyhow! lol :giggle:

It took me a long time to find an alarm sound I liked...another thing I love about having a smart phone...being able to pick out your own alarm sound.
I needed something loud enough to actually wake me...without jerking me out of my sleep. I don't want to wake to a heart attack every freaking morning! lol
I ended up finding a nice gentle song...it sounds like a music box. No way to explain it! lol...it's loud enough to cut through 2 fans blowing on me at high though, while still being gentle enough not to scared the crap out of me! :lol:

Oh! Found it on youtube!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hwnl0eQtC-0?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

lol sometimes if I need to do something really important in the morning, I'll set 3 or 4 alarms. :lol: Just to make certain I don't do anything stupid like turn the alarm off just to fall back asleep accidentally (it's happened!).

Anyhow, I SO hear you on the cpap machine! I have apnea as well, and absolutely hated the thing! I just couldn't do it :(.
And do you have hypo, or hyper-thyroidism? I'm hypo...lol crazy we have both in common! Though I'm pretty bad about taking the dang pills like I'm suppose to.

And are you on any meds for your ADHD?
My meds (adderall) really help with the whole 'sluggishness' thing in the mornings when I've gotta be up and moving.

Anyhow, hope you can get an android tablet someday! There's all sorts of neat things out there for them as far as alarms and such go! Glad you're working on a system with what you've got now though...hope it works out for you!

I know, right?! That Android does everything but make our breakfast for us! :D I still have an old school plug-in alarm clock, but my phone is a billion times more fun to use as a wakeup. I love that I can pick any song on my phone and make it my alarm music, and then set as many alarm times as I want. Turn them off and on at will- what fun! I sound so old, LOL. Younger people don't seem to think a thing about it, understandably. But I still get excited about finding new timer apps on the phone. I recently found a great washer and dryer timer that is simple but chimes just as it should, and at the perfect time, too! I am so beyond boring...

I need multiple alarms to wake up sometimes, too. It's better since I've been on medicine for the ADD. But as a kid...oy vey. It was awful. I could sleep through an alarm clock that would wake the dead! I'm glad that's gotten better...somewhat. I try to accept my night owl-ism with relish, but truthfully it is a pain, in terms of societal expectations and timing.

someothertime
09-30-14, 06:09 AM
Big relate on this....

Lately i've been plugging my external speakers on full volume into my phone alarm.... it's the closest i've come to something that will probably work.

OhLookABunny
10-04-14, 03:02 AM
These days, my body seems to want 7-8 hours, sometimes 9, no matter what. If I do manage to get to bed "early" (like, say, 11:00 p.m. :p) I might wake by 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. Now that doesn't necessarily imply that I'm ready to get out of bed. I am an "ease into the day" person. I remember years ago when I had a taller bed, sometimes I'd literally start with my feet and gradually ease my legs down and schlump to the floor, sit against the bed for a bit till I felt more awake, then get up - slowly! :giggle:

Again, if I go to bed later (like I will here in a few minutes at 2:00-ish) I'll probably not wake till 9:00 at the earliest, or if I hear the alarm, I'll note it but it won't really bring me to wakefulness. The training program is still in progress . . . the first days had better success, but now I've started fumbling the reach for the cell phone again, and messing things up. Again, it's not an iPhone or smartphone, so I can't do specialized apps with it. The alarm that is preinstalled is good, though, if I just could master grasping the phone with a hand that's not ready to function accurately at an early hour.

Hm. I just realized that's also the hand that has some carpal tunnel and tendonitis; maybe that's another reason for the fumbles. It's my dominant, the right, and the problems come from overuse. I do so many things (including websurfing and typing too late into the night!) with that poor right hand. :(

OhLookABunny
10-04-14, 02:03 PM
followup - I got up at 10:00 this morning - exactly 8 hours after going to bed at 2:00! :lol: Now another thing I realize is that it depends on what stage of sleep I might be in. Sometimes I could function on 6 hours if I just happened to be in a light cycle of sleep and decide (or be forced) to get up then. But left entirely to my own devices, I'll be semi-aware of those light stages but too sluggish to get up. Also those are when I'm most likely to have vivid dreaming - some of which I can tolerate, but some of it is really annoying or even disturbing. :eyebrow:

OhLookABunny
12-02-14, 07:46 AM
. . . aaaand yet another update . . . :o

I would never have thought this would happen . . . I'm now waking up at 4:00 a.m. I'll explain why in a moment. But first, I'll fill in on how things have played out since I last posted here.

The practice of setting the phone alarm every day did help some. I got a little better at grasping the phone by the edges instead of hitting the touchscreen.
The "fall back" from Daylight Savings Time also helped, as the sunrise comes an hour earlier.

There have, however, been some glitches with my housemate, who occupies the upstairs - and the stairwell and landing are open so if light is on above, it will illuminate the downstairs to whatever extent. Always before when she came home from her second shift job, she'd go upstairs and turn the lights off after she got up there. That meant that if I was in bed like a good girl with my own light off, the house was dark enough. (An aside - when I was a kid or teenager I had to have almost NO light filtering in or I couldn't sleep. I've adapted to varying conditions since, but . . .)

So a few weeks back she was suddenly in a pattern of leaving the stairwell light on. I am trying to be a good guest here, as the alternative would be homelessness. And I was in the opposite situation some years ago, with a roommate situation full of conflict about people's habits. Don't wanna go there. It's a delicate balance. But after a couple of weeks I found the opportunity to make a nonchalant inquiry. She said she'd just been forgetting. So things went back to how they had been.

Then a week or two ago I start noticing light from upstairs again. I finally looked and realized it's a plant light on the landing. I bet she doesn't realize it also illuminates down here because it's in a different place than the stairwell. This house isn't that large. So all those photons are bouncing off the wall and coming right into my room again! :umm1: And I'm now waking at 4:00 a.m. not sleepy at all - full moons do this to me sometimes but this is every night.

I don't want to close the bedroom door because then the cats can't come in and out, nor the air circulate as well, and it's just a pain anyway because of the tight space to be opening and closing it all the time. So I'm toying with the idea of rigging up a set of "blackout" curtains in the doorway.

It's wild, though - I've found this latest challenge to be frustrating, but also interesting in how productive I can be at 4:00-5:00. This could be the time to work on my novel or something. The drawback is that at 9:00-10:00 a.m. I'm ready for a nap. :faint: And no good for any morning commitments or appointments.

The other change that's taken place is that I did get an Android tablet, so I'll have to see about alarm apps that people here have mentioned. I'm still setting it up, downloading stuff, learning my way around it. But it's such a cool thing. Not only for this, but its portability will make me more organized and productive so maybe that will lessen the anxiety over what time I lose to all these crazy sleep issues. I sure hope so.

Lizzie80
12-03-14, 02:59 AM
. . . aaaand yet another update . . . :o

I would never have thought this would happen . . . I'm now waking up at 4:00 a.m. I'll explain why in a moment. But first, I'll fill in on how things have played out since I last posted here.

The practice of setting the phone alarm every day did help some. I got a little better at grasping the phone by the edges instead of hitting the touchscreen.
The "fall back" from Daylight Savings Time also helped, as the sunrise comes an hour earlier.

There have, however, been some glitches with my housemate, who occupies the upstairs - and the stairwell and landing are open so if light is on above, it will illuminate the downstairs to whatever extent. Always before when she came home from her second shift job, she'd go upstairs and turn the lights off after she got up there. That meant that if I was in bed like a good girl with my own light off, the house was dark enough. (An aside - when I was a kid or teenager I had to have almost NO light filtering in or I couldn't sleep. I've adapted to varying conditions since, but . . .)

So a few weeks back she was suddenly in a pattern of leaving the stairwell light on. I am trying to be a good guest here, as the alternative would be homelessness. And I was in the opposite situation some years ago, with a roommate situation full of conflict about people's habits. Don't wanna go there. It's a delicate balance. But after a couple of weeks I found the opportunity to make a nonchalant inquiry. She said she'd just been forgetting. So things went back to how they had been.

Then a week or two ago I start noticing light from upstairs again. I finally looked and realized it's a plant light on the landing. I bet she doesn't realize it also illuminates down here because it's in a different place than the stairwell. This house isn't that large. So all those photons are bouncing off the wall and coming right into my room again! :umm1: And I'm now waking at 4:00 a.m. not sleepy at all - full moons do this to me sometimes but this is every night.

I don't want to close the bedroom door because then the cats can't come in and out, nor the air circulate as well, and it's just a pain anyway because of the tight space to be opening and closing it all the time. So I'm toying with the idea of rigging up a set of "blackout" curtains in the doorway.

It's wild, though - I've found this latest challenge to be frustrating, but also interesting in how productive I can be at 4:00-5:00. This could be the time to work on my novel or something. The drawback is that at 9:00-10:00 a.m. I'm ready for a nap. :faint: And no good for any morning commitments or appointments.

The other change that's taken place is that I did get an Android tablet, so I'll have to see about alarm apps that people here have mentioned. I'm still setting it up, downloading stuff, learning my way around it. But it's such a cool thing. Not only for this, but its portability will make me more organized and productive so maybe that will lessen the anxiety over what time I lose to all these crazy sleep issues. I sure hope so.

I don't need it too much these days (thankfully), but back when I had wicked insomnia I used a sleep mask from DreamTime that didn't cost too much. It had lavender in it, and the mask itself was lavender-colored, very silky. There was another brand I bought that was nice enough, but the DreamTime one had a better strap on it to put around the head, one that didn't get all stretched out. They sell them on places like Amazon, or you can look in a natural health and beauty or grocery store with a decent cosmetics section for them. Maybe that would help? They definitely block out the light!

OhLookABunny
12-03-14, 01:45 PM
I thought about a mask, but - and this may sound weird - I like to open my eyes in the dark and ponder sometimes, I guess it's kind of a ritual. Then I close them and go to sleep. If light is bothering me a lot, I do sometimes put an arm over my eyes, so that works the same way as a mask.

Good news, though - last night I slept through the night (albeit with an icky dream brought on by news headlines, but that's not unusual for me). So maybe my body clock is asserting itself despite the challenges. I hope so.