View Full Version : How can you make your brain perform in a more consistent manner?

sbcy
09-23-14, 06:51 PM
I've been on loads of meds and supplements over the years, but nothing has consistently helped my ability to concerntrate in a significant way. The cocktail I'm on right now occasionally helps my ability to concentrate and decreases anxiety & OCD but often there is little/no improvement at all. Is there anything that might help in identifying some sort of correlations here? Some days are just good for some reason, but the majority aren't. Or parts of days are good and then my concentration problems, anxiety and OCD symptoms kick in or vice versa.

The only consistent correlation I've observed is that Zoloft almost always decreases my anxiety within an hour of taking it, but that doesn't necessarily affect my ability to concentrate. Sometimes I'm able to concentrate well when I get enough sleep, other times I get little/no sleep and I'm able to concentrate well for a period of time. The same goes for eating/not eating.

It all makes little sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas on how to discover some sort of trends between brain performance and habits? I keep a journal/log with date/time stamps but I haven't really been able to identify any consistent trends regarding concentration.

Cocktail I'm currently on: Zoloft 50mg twice per day (was previously as high as 300mg per day with no significant benefit), 400mg SAM-E twice per day (been on this for a week, soon to be 800mg twice per day), 15mg Deplin twice per day, 10,000MCG MB12 once per day, Vitamin D 5,000 IU once per day, 100mg Doxycycline once per day (prescribed for acne).

MikhailTal
09-23-14, 07:57 PM
If there is no pattern, it could mean that your concentration is not or only slightly affected by the variables (sleep, medication, supplements) you are currently monitoring. What medicine/supplement (if any) are you currently taking for ADHD-PI by the way? I'm not an expert, but my first look at your cocktail tells me that all ingredients aren't directly intended to help with concentration (except Sam-E, maybe).

Wanderon
09-28-14, 08:51 PM
One thing you might consider monitoring is your intake of grain. I read a book called "Grain Brain" that said wheat causes gut problems and inflammation, and these affect the brain. It made sense to me because that would explain why my brain improved a lot when I went on a low carb diet.

orangello
10-01-14, 09:22 AM
but my first look at your cocktail tells me that all ingredients aren't directly intended to help with concentration

This was my same thought... what adhd meds (dex, ritalin, etc) are you taking?

sublime74
10-01-14, 10:13 AM
I find that, even medicated, I have good days and bad days. But even the bad days are better than when I wasn't on meds. I don't think consistency is a practical objective as even NTs will struggle with that. There are so many external forces that can impede the ability to maintain consistency, for me work-related stress tends to lead toward distraction. That being said, ADHD treatment should, at the very least provide you a generally higher level of concentration. If you are having more bad days than good, some tweaking might be required.

For the record, I currently take Adderall XR 30mg and Celexa 20mg ... but I have been through a number of different combos and this one seems to be the best so far.

Hope this helps.
Greg

Schroeder
10-09-14, 08:54 PM
For me, it was 2 primary factors:

1. Fatigue
2. Brain fog

I cured (well, manage) my ADHD through a dietary change; I am fortunate that food allergies was the root cause of it & I was able to identify that over time. What I've learned over the past couple of years is exactly how ADHD works. For starters, you're tired all the time. You don't sleep well & it just becomes so routine for you that you don't even realize you're tired. So you're always fighting sleep. When you're tired, it COMPLETELY kills both your motivation & your energy. Then you start following "butterflies", i.e. anything shiny & pretty & interesting that comes your way or comes across your mind - the endorphins kick in & you get hyperfocused into something, and it's usually not at all related to the responsibilities you're on the hook for.

Separately is brain fog. We all know what that is. I also call this "mental fatigue". You can get this even if you're not physically tired. For me, eating foods with gluten in them caused the brain fog to roll in...it had so many weird consequences. It made everything feel the same. It made me view logic through a foggy window. It would come & go (because it was caused by food, which I didn't understand, and wasn't always an immediate reaction & sometimes lasted for days at a time), which is how I knew my brain was mush, because sometimes it wasn't mushy.

When I consume foods I'm allergic to, all of that crap comes right back into my life. I turn into an irresponsible caveman again, walking around all dumb & not getting anything done that I need to. It's useless! And sometimes the effects from food can last for two or three days, which means I'm fried for awhile if I'm not super careful about what I eat.

So yeah...that's what helps me concentrate & helps my brain perform in a consistent manner, otherwise I have no control over it, it just comes & goes based on the allergens in my body & how long they take to process out. It never made sense to me why it would come & go before; now I know why. The food kicks off both physical & mental fatigue, which gives me heavy brain fog, which means I have to fight to concentrate & sometimes simply CAN'T. My short-term memory was also terrible...I'd read the same page five times without digesting anything. Ugh. Useless!