View Full Version : Propranolol for anxiety?

LotsOfAttention
09-24-14, 06:03 PM
I was given 10mg propranolol (Inderal) to take as needed for social anxiety (can take 1 tablet twice a day). Anyone have any experience with this? Does it seem like a really small dose for anxiety, even for a starting dose?

I've seen reports of others starting on something like 40mg 2 or 3 times a day as needed. I took a 10mg tablet last night to see how it would affect me, and nothing... According to the script I technically shouldn't be taking more than 10mg at a time.

I would feel bad calling her to tell her this isn't doing anything even though my appointment was just yesterday morning. Could it be that I need to give it some more time to accumulate in my blood or something? :confused:

Lunacie
09-24-14, 07:14 PM
15 years ago I took Propranolol for hypertension. I only took it for 3 weeks as I developed an allergic reaction (scary).

But in that month I didn't notice any lessening of my at-that-time-untreated anxiety.

LotsOfAttention
10-22-14, 12:47 PM
I've since discontinued the propranolol (after speaking with my psych), as it did nothing for my anxiety -- it would just make me drowsy.

Just started on clonazepam 0.5 mg 2x a day and so far the results are promising. I was a bit weary of starting on a benzo for daily use, but my psych insists that this particular benzo is generally safe for long-term use. So we'll see.

Lunacie
10-22-14, 01:43 PM
I've since discontinued the propranolol (after speaking with my psych), as it did nothing for my anxiety -- it would just make me drowsy.

Just started on clonazepam 0.5 mg 2x a day and so far the results are promising. I was a bit weary of starting on a benzo for daily use, but my psych insists that this particular benzo is generally safe for long-term use. So we'll see.

The drowsiness often passes in a week or two - but since it didn't help
the anxiety I hope the clonazepam works better for you.

LotsOfAttention
10-23-14, 11:23 AM
The drowsiness often passes in a week or two - but since it didn't help
the anxiety I hope the clonazepam works better for you.

Thanks, it really does make a big difference I think. This is my first time prescribed a benzo, and they've always kinda scared me because of stories about seizures after discontinuation, etc. But I think it's going well. No sleepiness or drowsiness as I've experienced from Xanax (taken recreationally a few times in my college days), but just mental clarity and serenity.

MrsNewton
12-20-14, 09:08 AM
I took atenelol for that reason. The idea is that your body doesn't manifest some of the physical symptoms that go along with anxiety.