View Full Version : Concerta (methylphenidate) for TBI

J_2014
09-26-14, 11:13 AM
Hi all.

Does anyone have an experience with having been prescribed this medication for TBI, and not for ADD/ADHD?

Many of the symptoms are the same. Before the traumatic brain injury, the person in question was very high-achieving, self-supporting, and never had any kind of problems with attention, memory, or energy.

After the initial physical recovery period from the brain trauma, however, he seems to benefit from a dose of Concerta.

I have personally read in a few journals that this is an off-label use of the medication, but there's actually not a lot of information out there concerning it.

--Is the mechanism of action the same?

--For people with TBI and not ADD/ADHD (i.e. who do not have both conditions), is the drug temporary, or does that vary?

--What about other stimulant ADD/ADHD drugs for brain injury?

None of this is personal medical advice, by the way. I'm asking from a curious, albeit academic standpoint (I am a nurse aide) because I'd never heard of this until recently...

Pilgrim
09-29-14, 04:51 PM
What is TBI?

Lunacie
09-29-14, 05:21 PM
Pilgrim - TBI = traumatic brain injury. It mimics many ADHD traits.

OP - I haven't read anything about TBI and Concerta, but I know several meds seem to work well for off-label treatment.

Pilgrim
10-07-14, 05:43 PM
Sorry didn't know what TBI was!
To answer your question you should be prescribed something for TBI.
In my experience Stims can be the first.
And the mechanism of action is the same. I had a friend with this problem.

Lunacie
10-07-14, 06:09 PM
I know what TBI is from reading a lot of stuff on this forum, and because my niece has it because of a serious car crash.

Flory
10-07-14, 09:48 PM
I know that in one of dr Barkleys speeches he says it's largely ineffective ....other than that I can't be of much assistance :( sorry bud

Wishing you the best of luck in your search for good treatment