View Full Version : junk food, being prone to weight gain and gut bacteria

HADDaball
09-26-14, 08:18 PM
Hi.

I was reading a few things about being prone to weight gain and junk food and would like to share what I found:

* being prone to weight gain has been connected with gut bacteria

- gut bacteria can change over one day (!) when eating high fat, high sugar diets.

- These bacteria help the body digest food more easily, making the host prone to weight gain, regardless of diet.

* being prone to weight gain could be passed on from parents

- children can be infected with these baceteria from their parents

Implications:

This suggests antibiotics may be useful in neutralising the bad bacteria causing the proneness to obesity.

Probiotics (like acidophilus in some yoghurts) may also be useful as part of an obesity treatment plan.

Junk food binge alters community of microbes in the gut in less than a day (http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/15059.aspx)

icarusinflames
08-11-15, 04:51 PM
Hi.

I was reading a few things about being prone to weight gain and junk food and would like to share what I found:

* being prone to weight gain has been connected with gut bacteria

- gut bacteria can change over one day (!) when eating high fat, high sugar diets.

- These bacteria help the body digest food more easily, making the host prone to weight gain, regardless of diet.

* being prone to weight gain could be passed on from parents

- children can be infected with these baceteria from their parents

Implications:

This suggests antibiotics may be useful in neutralising the bad bacteria causing the proneness to obesity.

Probiotics (like acidophilus in some yoghurts) may also be useful as part of an obesity treatment plan.

Junk food binge alters community of microbes in the gut in less than a day (http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/15059.aspx)

Very cool article! Amazing as I also found an article online that says they did a research study and learned that the gut bacteria produces brain chemicals like serotonin, dopamine, and I think the epinephrines too. But these chemicals stay local in the gut (so they don't go up in the brain, per se to raise the levels there). But they affect how we feel so much, because we sense our mood based on how our gut FEELS. and our gut will send us anxious messages when the bacterial balance is off!