View Full Version : Here We Go Again

Awkward Turtle
09-27-14, 11:06 AM
Hello... first things first I haven't posted on this forum site in a long time. I signed up ages ago when I thought it was possible I could have ADD, then decided I didn't and that was that. I came across a post about ADD/ADHD on my Tumblr yesterday and it has gotten me thinking again, as I still feel can relate to some of the symptoms. I'm not sure that focus is my issue though, it's confusing. I know I'm forgetful, disorganised, lazy, slow, and procrastinate a lot, but perhaps those are just character flaws. I didn't do too well in school, and I know I would daydream and doodle a lot, but I don't do those things so much these days.

I am 20 years old and have yet to go for my drivers licence, due to being uninterested and not really motivated to drive. I have had two part-time jobs, both in kitchens, and am currently trying to find a new one. I feel that my mother displays symptoms of ADHD, but I think that is because of the medication she takes, and the ECT she had years ago for her depression. My younger brother is not doing much better at school than I did, but none of us have a diagnosis and I'm probably wrong anyway.

Random question, does anyone here play chess? If so how is it? I've recently joined a chess club and can happily sit there and play for a few hours, so I wonder whether or not someone with ADD/ADHD would be able to do this without hyperfocus?

I know I should talk to someone qualified, but healthcare is neither free nor cheap in New Zealand, and I don't want to feel like an idiot if I'm told I definitely do not have ADD. I say ADD because I'm not hyperactive. I did mention it to my mum about a year ago, but she seemed adamant that I did not have it. Does anyone have advice on what I should do? Are there ways I can definitely rule out ADD? I'm just confused... I can provide more information or answer questions on request. Thanks. :confused:

Flory
09-27-14, 11:10 AM
Lol......chess would be moth mentally and physically unpleasant for me :(

I wouldn't go to much in tumblr posts as far as relating to a diagnosis but research it a little more , wishing you the best in getting what you need x

Awkward Turtle
09-27-14, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. :) Well the post was 'An Inside Look At ADHD', which can be found on Google images and various other places. I have also been reading different articles, including this one I found in the comments section.
http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/04/its-different-girls-adhd/63746/

Lunacie
09-27-14, 01:31 PM
Something that interests me can hold my attention for hours, preventing me from transitioning to other things that I need to do.

I spent 50 years thinking I had "character flaws," now I know they aren't flaws at all. I have ADHD with comorbid anxiety and depression.

finallyfound10
09-28-14, 12:57 AM
Lunacie said:

I spent 50 years thinking I had "character flaws," now I know they aren't flaws at all. I have ADHD with comorbid anxiety and depression.

I spent 30 years thinking those same things and then found it was ADHD with comorbid anxiety and depression too!

Awkward Turtle said:

I know I'm forgetful, disorganised, lazy, slow, and procrastinate a lot, but perhaps those are just character flaws. I didn't do too well in school, and I know I would daydream and doodle a lot, but I don't do those things so much these days.

Those are NOT character flaws!! You may have ADHD. It is well worth the time and money to try to find out.

sarahsweets
09-28-14, 05:21 AM
I love chess at least I understand how its played but I can't play it. I'm too impatient for the other player to make their move and I'm too impulsive to think more than one step again. When I played chess I used to joke that it should really have been called "check mate Sarah".

Awkward Turtle
09-28-14, 07:34 AM
I'm sorry you guys have to deal with anxiety and depression on top of ADHD. I don't have those, not yet anyway. Check mate Sarah... good one. :) I'm only just learning chess but when the other person is thinking of which pieces to move and where, I'm also thinking about where they could go and what I could or would have to do if they did. I think that's what you're supposed to do. Chess requires a lot of focus and thinking ahead so it's not for everyone. :) I was reading about how people with ADHD/ADD can't focus because their minds are always on a lot of other things? I probably don't have it because I don't think that describes me, so in my case I think I'm just going to have to accept that these are my flaws, and try to change them... I'm not even sure that focus is my issue, which is the main indicator is it not? I'm just really lazy and put off things that I should do more often, like cleaning etc, because I know they will be boring and I won't enjoy doing them. :/

MikhailTal
09-29-14, 11:53 AM
Hello... first things first I haven't posted on this forum site in a long time. I signed up ages ago when I thought it was possible I could have ADD, then decided I didn't and that was that. I came across a post about ADD/ADHD on my Tumblr yesterday and it has gotten me thinking again, as I still feel can relate to some of the symptoms. I'm not sure that focus is my issue though, it's confusing. I know I'm forgetful, disorganised, lazy, slow, and procrastinate a lot, but perhaps those are just character flaws. I didn't do too well in school, and I know I would daydream and doodle a lot, but I don't do those things so much these days.

I am 20 years old and have yet to go for my drivers licence, due to being uninterested and not really motivated to drive. I have had two part-time jobs, both in kitchens, and am currently trying to find a new one. I feel that my mother displays symptoms of ADHD, but I think that is because of the medication she takes, and the ECT she had years ago for her depression. My younger brother is not doing much better at school than I did, but none of us have a diagnosis and I'm probably wrong anyway.

Random question, does anyone here play chess? If so how is it? I've recently joined a chess club and can happily sit there and play for a few hours, so I wonder whether or not someone with ADD/ADHD would be able to do this without hyperfocus?

I know I should talk to someone qualified, but healthcare is neither free nor cheap in New Zealand, and I don't want to feel like an idiot if I'm told I definitely do not have ADD. I say ADD because I'm not hyperactive. I did mention it to my mum about a year ago, but she seemed adamant that I did not have it. Does anyone have advice on what I should do? Are there ways I can definitely rule out ADD? I'm just confused... I can provide more information or answer questions on request. Thanks. :confused:

I play chess at club level, and have a rating of 1800 in real life. This means I'm way stronger than any chess beginner (I spent three years to reach this level, so it's not that strange). I'm not saying this to boast, I'm just telling that when you have ADD-I like me, you still could become good at chess, when you like the game.

I strongly believe, that I hyperfocus everytime I play a game at my club, since I'm very motivated to win, and I'm passionate about the game. It's not "just a game" for me (although my life doesn't revolve around it, compare it to someone who plays soccer on high amateur level). I study the game with theory books and train my calculation with chess puzzles. I can do this for hours, and this is only because of hyperfocus; I forget about everything else (even eating and personal hygiene :scratch:).

Pursuing my hobbies has destroyed my academical career, sometimes I can only get out of bed when I think of my hobbies. Although there are weeks that I don't touch a chessboard, because I'm bored with it. And then a few days later, I could be playing chess for ten hours straight online. I don't really doubt anymore that my ADD-I diagnosis is correct.

I believe ruling out ADD-I is impossible, since there are no neurological tests to diagnose AD(H)D. It will always be a subjective judgment, either by yourself, or a so called professional. I suggest you keep reading about ADD-I, and monitor your behavior throughout the day, if you really want to be sure that there is a decent chance you 'have' ADD-I.

Sekhmet2014
09-30-14, 09:37 PM
If you can have a psychological assessment done, that would be helpful.
I had to take a 2-day assessment: 1 morning talking to the psychologist, then getting myself & my spouse to fill out evaluation forms. Then on day 2, without my morning coffee, I had to click a button every time a box appeared on the screen in a certain spot. And then also look at patterns, try to recreate them; remember strings of numbers and random word associations....
It came out that I'm ADD-PI.

orangello
10-01-14, 09:18 AM
and this is only because of hyperfocus

It would probably be more correct to say that "this is only because its interesting" and even more correct to say "this is only because it produces more dopamine in the pfc/nac than any alternatives at that time"

Ever notice that you never hear adhd folks talk about hyperfocusing on boring things?

oldtimer
10-16-14, 10:05 AM
I suggest reading
Healing ADD Revised Edition: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 7 Types of ADD

some of the solutions are life style changes. Did you know you are posting in a forum for a specific form of ADD? The problem is we ADDers don't think in an organized way. They should provide all 7 types in a place where users are qued in that these are types of ADD. I just read the book and now understand the 7 types of ADD. This book is a must read for anyone effected by ADD. Reading this book will provide incite you will need to cope.

Lunacie
10-16-14, 12:53 PM
I suggest reading
Healing ADD Revised Edition: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 7 Types of ADD

some of the solutions are life style changes. Did you know you are posting in a forum for a specific form of ADD? The problem is we ADDers don't think in an organized way. They should provide all 7 types in a place where users are qued in that these are types of ADD. I just read the book and now understand the 7 types of ADD. This book is a must read for anyone effected by ADD. Reading this book will provide incite you will need to cope.

Save your money. The author, Dr. Amen, is not considered a real expert on ADHD.
Sure he makes a lot of money by doing brain scans and selling books. But, nope, not an expert.

Awkward Turtle
11-06-14, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't be able to afford an evaluation, and it would probably be negative for ADD anyway. :O I do want to start a distance learning course next year, but I'm worried about failing. I'm really no good at studying, and don't understand how people can study for hours at a time... I need this course though, so I can get educated in the field I am hoping to work in, which would be animal care.