View Full Version : strattera with stimulant

maginno
09-28-14, 10:17 AM
I just got put on Focalin XR. I'm curious as I read a few posts/pages with info about taking a stimulant with strattera. I'm going to conduct my own trials and see how I react, but I am curious if others have taken a combo? How did it work was the effect worth the extra $$$ for strattera?

sarahsweets
09-28-14, 11:47 AM
Personally I would give the stimulant on its own a try.

namazu
09-28-14, 11:58 AM
I'm with Sarah -- if this is your first time on ADHD medications, or even just your first time trying Focalin XR, you're probably better off giving it a go on its own before throwing more medications into the mix.

More meds = more chances for side effects, more chances for weird interactions, and a harder time knowing how to change things if they're not effective.

That said, I have in the past taken a combination of Strattera + stimulant. I had stopped taking all medications for a few months because I was frustrated, but that didn't work out so well, either. So my doc had my try Strattera, which I hadn't wanted to take because of the reports of nausea as a side effect. It took a while to kick in, and only at higher doses did I get much effect.

I found that while I was taking Strattera (alone), I was able to deal with daily life much better -- self-care, going to the gym, motivating myself to get out of the house, etc. However, it did nothing for my ability to do desk work. I still had tremendous trouble focusing on writing and reading and doing work that required thinking.

So, after a while of that, my doctor added back in Concerta (which I'd taken before) at a lower dose, and the combination worked really well for me for a while. However, due to a coexisting anxiety disorder, my doctor added Lexapro, and I don't know if it was that or what, but I developed depression (first episode in a decade) and things devolved from there. Afterwards, the combination of Strattera + stimulant didn't seem as effective.

I'm not sure how much of the initial benefit of Strattera + stimulant combined was simply because I hadn't been on stimulants for months, and so when starting stimulants again the contrast was just marked, or how much was actually the combination. I do feel that Strattera did different things than the stimulant.

But anyway, my experience has been than medication combinations are sometimes necessary, but they complicate things, so if you don't need a combination, you're better off sticking with a single effective drug.

Also, I would not recommend experimenting with Strattera or stimulant dose on your own. You really want a doctor monitoring things closely in case things go south.

Good luck.

maginno
09-28-14, 12:41 PM
I've been on strattera for almost a year along with guanfacine. I took plain old ritalin ir as a kid and teen. Didn't take anything for last ten years. Never liked the crash that came when ritalin wore off. I like the ritalin better than the adderal derivatives.

Like the prospect of focalin that maybe doesn't have the speedy side effects. Probably gonna need the ir version to complement the xr on long work days.

First week I'm going to stay on strattera regime. Then next week I'm going to stop strattera and compare. I'm not doing it on my own. My dr knows im going to compare

maginno
09-30-14, 01:38 PM
four days in....

Taking strattera 80mg in morning with 30mg focalin. No end of day crash just a slow comedown... I have 5mg IR that I haven't needed yet, but I might try this afternoon just to see.

Seems the 30mg focalin is lasting about to 9-10 hours for me. My day starts at 6am, I take all my pills/vitamins then, except focalin. I take it after I get to work at 7am. So around 2 I can feel it starting to wear off, but I don't crash like I remember as a kid.

maginno
10-05-14, 02:21 PM
So my first week was good. Focalin really helped and really reduced anxiety.

No focalin this weekend. Today my anxiety is returning, it actually started creeping back yesterday. Still taking 80mg strattera. Tomorrow I'm going to start a week without and see how it goes.

maginno
10-26-14, 11:07 PM
Been a couple weeks. No strattera and I can tell a subtle more pronounced comedown at end of the day.
Dr rxd me 30mg focalin twice a day for 30 days. Not sure how much I'll need that second dose but if I time it right I could avoid the dips a little bit.
Still undecided on strattera if I should start it again