View Full Version : They keep adjusting my medicine and can't find the right thing- HELP!

ehosch
09-30-14, 10:01 AM
Okay- here the story. I was on 18 mg of concerta for 18 months and then they upped it to 27mg. That was working fine until this semester:

I'm a college senior, I work 4 jobs to pay for school, I'm a student leader for a club, I'm a youth leader AND I have a full course load (mostly night classes) I NEED meds that work for my to survive this semester. My days start at 5 am and end at 10 pm.

The campus doctor first had me taking two 27mg extended release, one in the AM and one in the afternoon but I had HORRIBLE disassociation.

Now I have one 27 mg concerta and one short acting Ritalin 20 mg. She is letting me decide when during the day I take them to find what works for me. So far- nothing is.

I LOVE the Ritalin, except it wears off FAST and HARD. I go from productively working on HW, Listening in class, etc and then boom. I feel depressed tired and unmotivated.

I don't want to switch again because it's really effecting my school work but I feel like I need to.

My biggest problem is the mood swings- I go from HIGHS to low low LOWS really fast and I can't predict it.

What are your suggestions?

sarahsweets
09-30-14, 10:37 AM
Maybe the methylphenidate class of drugs isn't suited for y you and amphetamines would be better.

Corina86
10-01-14, 02:44 AM
You're working too hard. No amount of medication can substitute lack of sleep and rest.

palmtree_23
10-03-14, 09:36 PM
I cant help but find that what you experiencing is really just a normal human response. I thought the point of medication for add/adhd is to bring your mind back up to a normal level. The fact that you cant keep up with 4 jobs and school is perfectly normal.

You could truely have an attention problem but from what you've said I dont think you have any problem at all, except for the fact that you've taken on way to much for one person.

Not trying to be disrespectful, just voicing my opinion :)