View Full Version : I keep losing my files

Coral Rhedd
04-08-05, 07:30 PM
Not only can I not organize and tidy real space, my virtual space is a mess. I cannot find files and folders and waste an enormous amount of time searching.

When I use the Search function in XP, I often find that it doesn't pull up files I do have even though I enter the names correctly.

So what strategies will help me?

What software will help me? (I have a PC.)

Obviously I am not much of a techie. I know Word pretty well. That's about it.

FightingBoredom
04-08-05, 09:50 PM
Read the book To do, Doing, Done. It has some great suggestions about organizing.

RhapsodyInBlue
04-08-05, 11:11 PM
Not only can I not organize and tidy real space, my virtual space is a mess. I cannot find files and folders and waste an enormous amount of time searching.

When I use the Search function in XP, I often find that it doesn't pull up files I do have even though I enter the names correctly.

So what strategies will help me?

What software will help me? (I have a PC.)

Obviously I am not much of a techie. I know Word pretty well. That's about it.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16452

There is your answer, Coral. If you install this product, make sure you use "run" from this location, and not "save" to a place on your PC.

Crazymama now has her's working perfectly and can find anything.

It would be good if you could do an organization as well, but even if your PC is in a terrible mess, you will be able to find it. :)

~Viktoria

Ian
04-08-05, 11:39 PM
XP in particular, seems to deny the user any easy way to comprehend the file structure inherent in the operating system. I finally got to play with XP a bit in February when Dad let me at his box when I was visiting. Windoz 98 wasn't nearly as bad for this type of thing.

I can't imagine why they would design it so that it was so bad a learning tool, but keeping the customer ignorant, helps them to keep coming back I suppose. I don't have much respect for M$ and I can't hide my bias, sorry. I don't use any Micro$oft programs or operating systems.

Living free with GNU/Linux for me. Not a single virus, worm or Trojan horse in 5 years of promiscuous internet habits. :)

Dad had the same trouble as you describe about files going missing. I introduced him to the "explorer" feature.

If you right click on the start button you'll see an item in that menu to "explore windows" or something like that.

When you open that up it gets you to a place you can do your filing.

The left panel lists all the directories and then when highlighted the sub-directories and files are displayed in the right panel. Highlighting then right clicking and holding then dragging will allow you to shuffle files into other directories from left to right or visa versa with ease.

I have a folder called "dumper" where I save things when I'm in a hurry. Then I can open up "windows explorer" and file them where I want them to go.

Now the rub comes when you find more than one entry for things like "My Documents". It is mind boggling to try and figure out which is which and why, so I abandoned them all and created a folder called "Bill".

You can do this by going to "file" - "new" and choosing "folder".

Then I showed Dad how to make folders under that folder. We then had "Bill - People - Family etc. ad nauseum ." :D

Then the next step was to teach him to never save a file where the program wanted to save it. I showed him how use the drop down box when choosing where to save, to get to the "Bill" folder and then to create more folders (directories) to suit his needs for filing images, documents or whatever came his way.

Then we went to the email program and did the same thing. I showed him how to create folders in the same style as he had under "Bill".

I try to keep my structure quite similar for my bookmarks, email, documents and images. They all have evolved into similar patterns so no matter where I am, I can expect similar paths to find what I need.

The biggest trouble I see is that each proprietary program wants to dominate where you save the file you created in that program so that you think you have to use that program to find the dang thing again. As you've noticed this doesn't always work.

This is as clear as mud I'm sure. I tried. :*)

Learn how to create folders then use them.

I've had two extreme cases of filing gone really wrong on computers. The first one was a phone fix so it took a bit to put all the elements together in my head. Eventually I figured out she's saved two years worth of files to her desktop and could no longer get to the icons. Ouch.

The second one was similar in that the person had saved every file for a number of years to their start menu. This one I got to see and could not help laughing. Gratefully it was just me to hear the hoots.

Good Question Coral. Not many people ask enough questions. I hope this went some way to help clear up some of the mystery.
Cheers! Ian.

myside
05-02-05, 05:01 AM
http://desktop.google.com/about.html

Google Desktop Search is how our brains would work if we had photographic memories. It's a desktop search application that provides full text search over your email, computer files, chats and web pages you've viewed. By making your computer searchable, Desktop Search puts your information easily within your reach and frees you from having to manually organize your files, emails and bookmarks.