View Full Version : Avoiding doing something

Sekhmet2014
09-30-14, 09:48 PM
AUGGHH!!
I'm procrastinating on a task that could actually be pleasant, but which I am having a hard time with.
1) I have some things to send to people.
2) There are lots of people but I only have X amount of stuff to send
(I'm being vague because I want anonymity), so I feel bad that I might not be able to send everybody something.
3) So I'm procrastinating. It also involves me writing nice notes to people and that makes me overthink it.

And so today, I ended up avoiding my desk, going for a drive to find some specific stuff that wasn't at the store where I thought they'd be. While driving, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by listening to some music that I like--I thought it would soothe me. Instead, it agitated me.

Finally, I went and got groceries, then bought iced coffee for me & my husband. The iced coffee was good, but I just felt so crappy for all the procrastinating and aimless behavior today, that I sat and reread Harry Potter until it was time to start making dinner.

Earlier in the day, after breakfast and before exercise class, I felt like I was going to take care of a bunch of stuff. :eek::eek::eek: which I didn't ultimately do. crap crap crap. Okay, tomorrow is a new day.

Jenn1202
09-30-14, 10:22 PM
Story of my life. I procrastinate like 80% of the day, because something needs to get done and I really don't want to do it. It often takes me hours and even days to get myself to do boring tasks (e.g. chores).

Corina86
10-01-14, 02:43 AM
I suggest you write the notices to the people who won't be receiving anything, to get the anxiety and guilt out of your system. You can call them, if you want it to be a personal apology, or send an email to all of them, if you want this to be impersonal and formal- this is the quickest option. Then think about sending part of the stuff- you don't have to send them all at once and it's easier to convince yourself to do something if it takes little time.

stef
10-01-14, 03:56 AM
If you are already kind of procrastinating and then a thing doesn't work out (the store not having the items you wanted), I've noticed, that the rest of the day ends up being kind of a waste. You might have ended up totally inspired and motivated.

Iced coffee is a good remedy for anything :)

Stevuke79
10-01-14, 06:02 AM
I saw the title and wondered if the rest of the thread might be:
Avoiding doing something, can anyone here relate to this? :rolleyes:

:lol: And I cracked up! :lol: Welcome home brother!

thepitcher10
10-01-14, 06:18 AM
Pro-cra-stin-a-tion (set to the tune of Celebration by kool and the gang).

It is one of the bigger issues that come with this bundle of fun. It doesn't help that you are on here, procrastinating even more. Then again, it doesn't help that I am on here right now.

Crosswired
10-01-14, 08:43 AM
There are very few things that I don't procrastinate on. People will say "everyone procrastinates". However, for people with ADD, procrastination is chronic for everything except the interesting things.

I have only a few things I don't procrastinate on like breathing.

orangello
10-01-14, 09:06 AM
for people with ADD, procrastination is chronic for everything except the interesting things.

I could probably keep making endless posts here that have some form of "because of dopamine..." :)

In the case of procrastination, the adhd brain (starved of dopamine) is always choosing the activity that gives the most dopamine.

Sekhmet2014... if you're still massively procrastinating, perhaps you need to try an amphetamine med instead of straterra?

jess30
10-23-14, 02:35 AM
I have only a few things I don't procrastinate on like breathing.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Dunno why but I just tried procrastinating breathing and I collapsed laughing... groan... I didn't mean to make a pun at the same time... :p

OhLookABunny
10-25-14, 01:11 PM
I think one reason we procrastinate on tasks like the one described is that there are all those dang steps. I can't prove it, but I suspect that neurotypicals who don't procrastinate (and even NTs have a continuum of procrastination) - I believe they see the task something like this:

Write Christmas cards.
Insert photo of our family with each card.
Address and mail them.

Whereas for those of us with ADD, the list looks more like this:

Wake up in the morning and think of the things to do.
Feel overwhelmed.
Forget to take meds.
Go make coffee and have breakfast.
Remember about the meds.
Sit down at the computer, check Facebook, etc.
Remember about the Christmas cards. Feel sense of impending doom.
Reluctantly leave computer, go look for the Christmas cards. This may entail a search and several distractions along the way.
Repeat Step 8 for the photos, postage stamps, and a pen that writes.
Consider the option of putting cute Christmas stickers on the envelopes. Embark on search for some stickers you know you had leftover last year.
Failing to locate said stickers, make trip to store to buy new ones, along with a few impulse purchases. Along the way, do some errands at places you have to go right by anyway, to save gasoline.
Return home. You are hungry. Fix something to eat. Resist the urge to take a nap.
Gather all the card-sending paraphernalia in your workspace. Get distracted by a few things there. Feel more dread.
Grit your teeth and reflect on how stupid the custom of sending cards is, what a chore it is, and how people will probably just toss them in the trash anyway. Grumble. Then sigh, because for all that, you still want to send these cards.
Begin writing the cards, hoping you don't sound too stupid in what you write (analyze each card for a few minutes to be sure).
Every few cards, chase down an address written on a scrap of paper somewhere.
Toward the end of the process, locate cards that have slid under other papers on your workspace.
Seal the envelopes and put the cute stickers on them.
Where are the &#($! stamps?!
Search for and find the stamps, put them on the envelopes.
Stack the envelopes in a pile, and check them for missing stamps. Put stamps on two of them that didn't get any.
Address labels! Where are the address labels? Go find some from some charity that have Easter bunnies and chicks on them and hope no one will notice. Berate yourself for not having thought to order some special Christmas themed ones.
Put completed cards by the front door to take to post office.
Where did you leave your purse? Search through the house, frantic, until you locate it.
Drive to post office, noting that the fuel needle is flirting with Empty.
Return home and take that nap.:faint:

anonymouslyadd
10-25-14, 03:11 PM
I have 18 voice mails that I need to listen to.:o I believe some are about two weeks old. I'm so embarrassed and ashamed.

OhLookABunny
10-26-14, 02:38 PM
My worst shame is another thing with greeting cards - when a friend's relative or loved one dies, and I pick out a nice, fitting sympathy card, and don't get it sent. And agonize for the next few weeks, then months, over whether it would still be okay to go ahead and send it, or whether I should just let it go.

Fortress
11-03-14, 01:44 PM
I came back on this forum to look for help with this. I used to not have so much trouble with it because I had the ability to cut off all my feelings and engage on some sort on mental "stress thread/bubble" to do whatever I deemed HAD to be done at the moment. It wasn't pleasant but it worked.

Now that I've learned to listen to how I feel and look to reduce stress I can't go back to that honestly unhealthy mode anymore. I try to do something and when something "doesn't work" boom any motivation I built up goes out the window. D: How does one find energy for s*** they don't like doing???