View Full Version : How do you feel about taking less units than your peers?

judayxlo
10-02-14, 03:29 PM
I know people always say not to compare yourself to others since everyone handles things at their own pace, but sometimes I feel inadequate for taking less units than the minimum.
I have an accommodation that allows me to take 6 to 12 units per semester (the minimum for normal students is 13 units), and I still sometimes feel like I can't keep up with the workload.

How do you guys feel about that if you've dealt with it?

Little Missy
10-02-14, 05:28 PM
Great, because then you are able to do the very best you can.

ana futura
10-02-14, 10:18 PM
I feel fine about it. I wouldn't have it any other way. I really don't care how I compare to others in terms of unit load- I do care how I compare on a class by class basis though. I have to feel like I'm doing well in each class I take, but how many or few classes I take total has never bothered me.

I do get a bit upset when other people act weird about it though- when they assume that I must feel bad about how long it's taking me to get through a degree, and then they make some weird comment like "Well, do whatever you need to do. Take as much time as you need." Well of course I'm going to take as much time as I need! I didn't think it was a big deal at all until you made it into one...

I have no shame about it, and I hate when others assume that I do feel shame about it.

Jenn1202
10-03-14, 01:42 AM
When I did my masters I took the lowest number of unites and the easiest classes I possibly could and I still hardly made it through. It kind of sucked to see my friends take more classes than me and not to be able to do the same. It definitely made me feel inadequate. My thesis supervisor didn't like it either and he kept asking me why I was taking longer to complete the program.

AshT
10-14-14, 06:37 PM
I'd sooner take less modules and have a bit of a life than more modules and hate every day I have to get up with having no free time, and getting exhausted. I've done both, the former lead to be doing extremely well, the latter, depressed, hopeless, seeing myself head towards a tunnel of failure whilst doing everything I could to prevent it but not being able too.

When I took less modules, I learnt much more. I could do outside activities, I took on more personal projects. I did more when I took less modules. I did less when I took more. It's weird to explain but the latter meant more procrastination.

It was more important, for me anyway, to succeed at getting my degree than be able to keep up with my peers =).

michaelaisabell
10-26-14, 03:22 PM
I go part time and I've been at community college since 2011. I'm getting closer but I just hate that it's taking me 4 years to get a 2 year degree. I don't care about what my peers are doing it just sucks that it takes me so long to get this done.

RobotInDisguise
10-27-14, 08:59 AM
Don't care what others think. I like semi sane robot better

RAYN
10-27-14, 05:49 PM
I definitely empathize when you say you feel inadequate among your peers. I used to often feel embarrassed during my freshman/sophomore years when friends asked me how many units (6-9) I was taking when they themselves were in university taking 15-21 units. I also hated it when they talked about taking that many classes like it was nothing, while they still had time to go to parties and work part time. Ever since I was first medicated not too long ago, I wanna start experimenting with how much schoolwork I can pack into a week. I'm also trying to find a job, too.

Finally, for the most part, I wasn't too worried about taking few units a semester.

WheresMyMind
11-18-14, 11:06 AM
About three years into struggling with college, I realized that the worst part was the pace of the classes. Too slow!!! My racing ADHD mind struggled with the concept of getting partial information two or three days a week. Especially the way US schools teach - details first, while you wait, agonizingly, to find out why you even need this information. Some it it, too, was that what I was exposed to on Monday morning was but a distant fog on Wednesday, when the professor started the lecture in the middle of the sentence he cut off on Monday....what were the last five words on Monday?

I learned this when I took a summer semester's worth. The semesters then were half-length, therefore the classes were double-speed, and a full load was half as many classes. By covering the same 2-3 topics every day in detail, then doing homework the same time every day, my brain did not forget what it had learned.

For the degree I sought, very few classes were offered in these wonderful summer semesters.

So I had to do "regular" semesters for many of the classes that were required.

My brain craved knowledge at the speed of ADHD.

My money supply was pretty low as we went into one fall semester, so, with a heavy heart, I slowed the pace of my education and took only a half load, and found a full-time job that understood the needs of students. That was a miracle. Work is fast, you must be productive. So it was the full-time job that satisfied my ADHD brain's cravings for things that moved quickly. And having only a few classes to keep straight made the educational workload manageable.

Everybody will have a different method; that was mine. Took me 6 years to get the 4 year degree, but get it I did.

WMM