View Full Version : Scared of the Tolerance.. (Concerta)

palmtree_23
10-03-14, 09:30 PM
Hey everyone! Brand new to this forum. So glad to be apart of it.
25 year old male, wasn't diagnosed with adhd all through childhood (covered it up with smiles and hardwork). Officially diagnosed a year ago. Started on wellbutrin, then to concerta, then to dexedrine spanules, then dexedrine IR, then back to Concerta. For more info on my past/medications please feel free to ask.

Very content with Concerta now currently at 18mg, likely jump to 27mg in a few weeks. Also wanted to ask about some ritalin IR boosters for times when i dont want full day coverage just a few hours worth....

anyways... I'm very happy with how I feel now. I'm not irritable and restless all day long. I'm actually able to relax after a long day of work and not needing to constantly occupy myself with tasks until i restlessly fall asleep...

I'm just really nervous of finally accepting this medication then finding a few years down the road that the medication has completely lost its effectiveness, leaving me struggling to ween off the medication and going back to my frustrated, restless self.

I was hoping you guys/girls could give me some insite on this as I know you guys have been through it all. Looking forward to all the responses!

Pilgrim
10-04-14, 04:23 AM
It's a good question. I think you have to believe the medication will ALWAYS work.
And it probably will. You may have to readjust some times.

sarahsweets
10-04-14, 04:24 AM
Well you can't worry about what hasn't happened. You don't have a new doctor now and concerta is still working. The word tolerance is always thrown around but IMO its an over used overrated way of trying to figure out a problem with no real solution. Some people day they don't feel the meds Anymore and blame it on tolerance. Some people's body chemistry simply changes and they need something different. Very very rarely is it true tolerance.

palmtree_23
10-04-14, 12:32 PM
OK great to hear. Just seem like no matter what everyone talks about how the medication becomes ineffective after a few years. I guess that's just the people complaining. I'm sure there's many people not on forums who have functioned just fine for years and years. Thanks for your help guys.

palmtree_23
10-04-14, 01:59 PM
Its studys like this that make me nervous...

Long-term ADHD treatment increases brain dopamine transporter levels, may affect drug efficacy

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-05/plos-lat050913.php

Thoughts?

sarahsweets
10-06-14, 08:19 AM
Your body changes, thats normal,. tolerance is different and usually associated with abusive mounts of stimlants.

XXYYXX
10-07-14, 07:42 PM
Also wanted to ask about some ritalin IR boosters for times when i dont want full day coverage just a few hours worth....
!

Have you heard about keeping an alkaline diet in order to help increase the medicines duration/strength.

I have 2xTUMS 30mins prior to my administration of Adderall, works the same with the other side of the family. And I see results. Cucumbers are natural antacids BTW

Sodium Bicarbonate 30 mins. A teaspoon mixed with 8oz of water will help move your stomach in a more basic state.