View Full Version : Do you only study while on meds?

orangello
10-06-14, 01:06 PM
Is there anyone else here who will only study or read difficult material under your medication? For myself I have now found that studying w/o meds is futile. I almost felt guilty about this, like I'm dependent upon the meds, until I found this thread while searching for something totally unrelated:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40901

Pay close attention to Lars posts, especially #8, 10 , 13. At the time he was going to Med school and looking for a way to get just a short additional hour or half hour of late night study out of his meds.

So I'm thinking "why go through all that effort? If the meds have worn off, why not just study that last half/hour w/o medication?"

Then it hit me: Because he couldn't. Neither can I. Neither can most of us. Our brains weren't born with proper dopamine in the needed locations, and studying things which push the absolute limits of our intelligence (like Lars med school) is futile. We need the meds to put that dopamine where we need it.

Now I don't feel guilty.

BTW - whatever happened to Lars? Is he a doctor now?

ana futura
10-06-14, 01:20 PM
I can't read anything academic without medication. Once I went to school early with the intention of doing the day's reading before my one and only class, and when I got there I realized I had forgot my meds. I started panicking, I tried and tried to read without them but I simply couldn't. Fortunately after 20 minutes of panic and looking everywhere I found an old bottle with a few left in my car.

When I was younger, before I was diagnosed, I just didn't read anything. I would do maybe the first and last page of the readings, and just wing it. This worked for most classes, but when I got a class where reading was imperative I usually wound up with an F. That worked way back in my undergrad and high school days, but it doesn't work in grad school.

sarahsweets
10-07-14, 04:09 PM
I take my meds everyday because adhd is a 24/7 thing for me.

Jenn1202
10-07-14, 09:10 PM
I can't read anything academic without medication. Once I went to school early with the intention of doing the day's reading before my one and only class, and when I got there I realized I had forgot my meds. I started panicking, I tried and tried to read without them but I simply couldn't. Fortunately after 20 minutes of panic and looking everywhere I found an old bottle with a few left in my car.

When I was younger, before I was diagnosed, I just didn't read anything. I would do maybe the first and last page of the readings, and just wing it. This worked for most classes, but when I got a class where reading was imperative I usually wound up with an F. That worked way back in my undergrad and high school days, but it doesn't work in grad school.

Same here (text to speech and audio textbooks have been life savers for me). I can't get work done of my meds either, and even when I can, it gets very frustrating very quickly and takes me F-O-R-E-V-E-R to do. Getting started also takes forever, because I procrastinate a ton and no matter how hard I try to get started early, I don't really start working on the assignment until midnight the night before it's due.