View Full Version : My life with ADHD/ADD + Help needed!

Bob7211
10-06-14, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna make it short and sweet (hopefully)

I been on concerta & strattera (80 mg & 54mg, I was quite doped up if you ask me but not too bad) anyways, I finally went cold turkey on my ADHD medicine one day cause the side effects were killing me and not to mention I've taken different medicines since I was a kid so I been on ADHD medicine my entire life basically. I didn't consult my doctor or anything and plus I'm in a better environment right now where I do a lot of things so its better now and I'm 19 and have no use for them as I can focus and I'm more open to the world now and want to do a lot of things I didn't want to do before.

My question is: I have a lot of concern for my weight, I was put on them to focus in school which never helped me at all and I been done with school for a while but I fear that now that I'm off of them I'm gonna eat a lot and it's shown, I know how I was before when I tried getting off them years ago and I was a hog with food and couldn't stop. Well it's not that bad but it's definitely increased (eating habits) and I need a way to control it badly. I've already weighed my self like 1-2 weeks ago at 152 and now I'm 156. I know I'm gonna be big if I don't start finding a fix. I've been going to the gym and doing light 100-200 calorie workouts and doing numerous laps in the pool just to get started but I don't know if that's going to help it. If anyone can help with this it would be a great help!

JJJJJJJJJJ
10-07-14, 10:23 PM
Have you ever tried phenylalanine? If you dig a bit you'll find that it is a natural amino acid sometimes used for both ADD and weight issues.

I can get you more on the supposed links if you like. You could also check out my intro (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165734) and discussion on the topic a few weeks ago.

I'm not suggesting that supplements will work as well as medications but they might take the edge off your problem by giving your a bit more self control and increasing your metabolism slightly. For example, Phen is related chemically to the thyroid hormones.--more on that if requested.

XXYYXX
10-07-14, 11:36 PM
I understand that this is difficult, but managing your weight will only come if you abosutely want to.

I suggest use technology. The chrome store has a bunch of health apps/extensions. If you are using Google Chrome check out their web store using the search term "weight".

Diet Diaries are great. But, you NEED to stick with it. Don't lose focus, no pun intended.
Do research on diets. And not simply just Googling "Diets for weight lose", but do in-depth research on carbs, proteins, etc.. and find what the exact ratio for your weight/height/sex.

sarahsweets
10-08-14, 04:33 AM
.unfortunately exercise is the only thing that will help combat a weight issue.

burger
10-08-14, 08:49 AM
You may be gaining weight from the exercise. Anyways to lose weight you need to operate at a calorie deficit. I think a 2000 or 2500 calorie deficit = 1 lb lost. So if you find your maintenance calories (where your body weight stays the same) and you decrease it by say 2500 per week (-357 cal per day) then you should lose a pound. Weigh yourself after waking up in the morning before you eat and drink. This is your base morning weight and is probably much more stable than random weighing times. Keep track of the calories you eat and your weight and adjust your calories accordingly. Exercise also creates demand for food meaning you will get hungry. You can probably eat calorie sparse food like hot air popcorn, cabbage, broccoli or other stuff to fill up your stomach. I'd probably focus on cardio. The difference between 152 and 156 may mean you drank some extra water or had an extra meal that day. I would look at the trend over a period of time to get a better picture.

Bob7211
10-08-14, 02:47 PM
I've been doing swimming everyday from 1-2 hours, doing hard laps back and forth so it wears out me out big time so hopefully this will help.