View Full Version : What should I expect?

BOCK102
10-07-14, 08:19 AM
Hi,

I'm very newly diagnosed with ADHD and following the relief of knowing why I am the way I am, I'm extremely nervous about starting medication. It seems like everywhere I look online there are negative posts about Concerta XR (which I am due to start). Is it as bad as people suggest, or has anyone had a positive experience?

Thanks to anyone who replies,

BOCK

Meteodan
10-07-14, 09:40 AM
I've never taken Concerta, but I have been on 4 different ADHD meds before finally settling on one (Vyvanse) that appears to work well for me, so I might be able to bring some perspective to the table:

1) It's perfectly normal to be nervous starting on a brand new medication, especially a psychotropic one. Just don't let it paralyze you. Forum posts are going to be skewed toward negative experiences with drugs, for the simple reason that most folks who have positive experiences (with some exceptions) aren't going to go to a forum posting about it. They'll just get back to their life and reap the benefits of the medication. Obviously there are exceptions, which is why I appreciate when folks do post about their positive as well as negative experiences. Folks who have bad experiences are also more likely to exaggerate how "awful" the medication is. Don't let it put you off. Many, many folks do absolutely fine on the same medication. (Don't get me wrong, sometimes the experiences really are awful, and it means the medication isn't right for them. But rarely are there serious complications with ADHD medicines, which have very good track records).

2) It's likely that you will find a mixture of positive and negative aspects to the medication. It's even more likely that the positive benefits (namely, controlling your ADHD symptoms, not the euphoric high that the meds sometimes bring early on) will end up outweighing the negative ones. If you have a negative side effect (dry mouth, nervousness, loss of appetite, just to name a few common ones for stimulants), ask yourself whether the benefits you are getting are worth enduring the side effects. For most people, they are.

3) Finally, give it time. While stimulants tend to act quickly, and you should have some idea whether it is working at a given dose within an hour or so of taking it, it still might take time for the full effects to become apparent, so watch your daily behavior over a period of a couple weeks and take stock of how things have changed. Do you find it easier to concentrate on mundane tasks? Are you getting more work done? Do you have more energy and motivation? And so on. If not, it may mean that you just need a higher dose, or it may mean that you need to switch meds. Some medication or another is very likely to be of benefit to you. It may be Concerta, it may be something else. Be prepared for a relatively long period of trial and error. You may not require it, but if you do, stick with it. Trust me, it's worth it!

Sorry for the long answer to a simple question, but I sensed questions "behind" the question, if that makes sense. Hopefully it will be helpful to you. Good luck!

BOCK102
10-07-14, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive response Meteodan. I hadn't really considered it, but it does make a lot of sense that people who have had success with medication have little need to speak about it online. That's actually a very comforting assessment.

It's nice to hear that your experience has been positive despite not all medications working great for you. That makes me less pessimistic about trying a medication and giving up completely because one in particular doesn't work for me.

Really appreciate the help,

BOCK