View Full Version : Will Concerta help me get my work done?

BOCK102
10-08-14, 12:54 PM
I struggle massively with organising myself and staying focussed on tasks. Organisation is a BIG problem! Does anyone have a similar experience and did taking Concerta help? Thanks guys :)

Fuzzy12
10-08-14, 01:48 PM
I've never tried Concerta but I've tried methylphenidate IR and am currently taking dexamphetamine. Both helped me to focus and be less distractable once I found the correct dose and dosing schedule. However, they do not help me with organisation or motivation.

I can still procrastinate the entire day away (and more often than not I do) but once I start doing a task I can focus on it (and also focus for longer) and my thoughts seem slightly clearer. I also don't feel sleepy anymore or start day dreaming, e.g. when I'm reading something. It took me quite a while to learn that the meds will not help with motivation or procrastination. I need to use other tools to get me to start my work.

It helps indirectly with organisation in the sense that I can now focus for long enough to organise my tasks.

BOCK102
10-08-14, 02:03 PM
I was kind of hoping for a magic wand if I'm honest, to make me get all my ducks in a row lol. I think I'll settle for having better focus once I get going. I tend to start several projects per day then feel like I'm going to explode if I force myself to keep to one thing. Normally though something just takes my interest and what I'm doing is forgotten about.

Do you notice any notable improvements in your work? I think if I had to keep working everyday the way things are at present I'd have a nervous breakdown :eek:

Thanks again Fuzzy

pynkicecream
10-09-14, 01:27 AM
How long have you been taking Concerta?

I am on that med for nearly a month now. And from my observation, it helps me focus on one task and keeps away from other distractions or thoughts that tells there a bunch of task waiting to be done.

At work:
Saw some improvements but mainly on focusing. I am now able to stay on a certain task and one by one, I am getting it done.

Still procrastinate at the end of the day.. most of the time..:(

But less day dreaming. My thoughts are more clear and I am better now in verbalizing it.

Time management and organization? Nope. But hope someday I will learn to handle those two effectively..

Corina86
10-09-14, 03:34 AM
I haven't noticed any improvements in focus, but I have more energy and I can get more work done.

BOCK102
10-09-14, 03:39 AM
Hi Pynkicecream. I'm actually starting Concerta in a few weeks. I have co-morbid cyclothymia which my psych doc is looking treated first so I have been put on Seroquel.

Maybe organisation skills aren't a symptom but have developed by a lifelong of inattention and distractability. I'm hoping in time by focusing on one thing at a time I'll get things on my list(s) done and I'll be more organised because of that. As for Procrastination I haven't a clue what I'll do about that.

What dosage are you on? Have you noticed any changes in other parts of your life? I struggle to pay attention when speaking to people and I my house is really untidy. Hoping these things will improve too.

Thanks for your reply :)

BOCK102
10-09-14, 03:40 AM
Thanks Corina. Energy doesn't seem to be a big problem for me. It's more lack of iinterest. I'm hoping that changes!

pynkicecream
10-12-14, 03:42 AM
Hi Pynkicecream. I'm actually starting Concerta in a few weeks. I have co-morbid cyclothymia which my psych doc is looking treated first so I have been put on Seroquel.

It is wise to have your heart checked and know what other conditions/ailments/allergies you may have before taking any drugs. Also, be knowledgeable of it's side effects. Observe how your body responds to the meds. It may work immediately or take a little longer before you see its effects. If you have extra time, take note of the side effects you felt on that day for record purposes. No one knows maybe in the future, having a concerta diary will be useful..

Maybe organisation skills aren't a symptom but have developed by a lifelong of inattention and distractability. I'm hoping in time by focusing on one thing at a time I'll get things on my list(s) done and I'll be more organised because of that. As for Procrastination I haven't a clue what I'll do about that.

I agree with your thoughts re above statement. With proper meds and motivation,you will be able to notice little improvements on how you focus on one thing and slowly getting your listed task/things done.

What dosage are you on? Have you noticed any changes in other parts of your life? I struggle to pay attention when speaking to people and I my house is really untidy. Hoping these things will improve too.

Thanks for your reply :)

At a low dosage, (18mg/ 5x a week) I can see some improvements but mainly on FOCUS and eliminating innervoices. And my life is better when I am on medication due to the below. Still struggle to enumerate it, but hope it helps.

> Helps me focus, sometimes hyperfocus and slowly, I am able to finish task(s)
> I still process things slow BUT I can now verbalize my thoughts most of the time :yes: When engaged in a conversation, I am able to follow through and not get lost in the middle. Attention is longer.
> Lessens my issues with impulse control. Now I can say NO to shopping :yes:
> I am not sure why but that meds keeps me less sensitive to criticism (from my spouse). :yes::yes:
> Keeps me more calm during circumstances that is beyond my control
> Prolongs my patience a little :p FYI I have two kids below 6 y.o.
> When it wears off, I feel a lil frustrated when things don't go my way and I eat like a pig :lol: no problems with sleeping as well

Using google calendar is very helpful in reminding me of any task (household and work related) or any important events or appointments.

I wish you all the best in treating your Cyclothemia and hope you will find the right motivation for yourself and be successful on your Concerta treatment very soon :)

Corina86
10-13-14, 08:06 AM
Thanks Corina. Energy doesn't seem to be a big problem for me. It's more lack of iinterest. I'm hoping that changes!

There are different types of energy. I can have physical energy to walk, run or jump around, but not enough mental one to get any work done. Concerta gives me mental energy and I can work longer and harder (even though my focus is just as lousy), but doesn't make me jumpy.

palmtree_23
10-13-14, 10:37 AM
It'll help alot if your currently on nothing. I find Concerta's a very natural feeling too. You don't even feel like your taking any medicine.
Very excellent in my opinion.

A little trick I like to do is suck the coating off the Concerta pill to get the IR part of the medication right away then let the ER systems help you for the rest of the day.

But if you just want to be a working maniac and feel wirey/high as ****, use Adderall. but not sustainable in the long run in my opinion.

Fuzzy12
10-13-14, 12:20 PM
I think I'll settle for having better focus once I get going. I tend to start several projects per day then feel like I'm going to explode if I force myself to keep to one thing.

It does help me with that!! I used to get bored extremely easily but now I can work on stuff and continue working on it for a while even if it's fairly non-stimulating. The main thing for me is to start.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

BOCK102
10-15-14, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been so caught up on the "Adult's with ADD" section of the forum that I forgot about this one! Anyway reading your replies has made me feel a bit calmer and more hopeful about starting Concerta. Appreciate the help!! :thankyou: